Status: Last Update: October 23rd, 2010

Luck & Intuition

Give A Little Bit.

MULTIPLE LIGHT TAPS touched on Autumn’s shoulder causing her to stir and roll over onto her side. She groan, wanting to swat the hand away but she didn’t have any energy to do so. The taps increased in a rapid pace along with a light sigh. Autumn forced her hazel eyes to open to see Ella Mae standing in front of her. Ella’s little brown eyes brightened up as she saw Autumn finally wake.

“Hey baby.” Autumn’s voice was hoarse as spoke. “What time is it?”

It was rather a rhetorical question since Ella couldn’t tell the time. Autumn tilted her head up to see the digital clock placed on her bedside table. Her eyes snapped open wide seeing at it was seven-thirty in the morning and she had to be at work in thirty minutes. Autumn flung the covers off of her and raced into her closet to throw together an outfit for herself while brushing her teeth and doing her hair and makeup at the same time.

“Ella what am I going to do with you? I can’t take you to work.” Autumn sighed and picked up Ella and sat her down on the bed.

Autumn sighed and took some Advil out of the medicine cabinet and swallowed them dry. Reminder: Do not drink when the morning after you have a huge meeting with the board, bad idea.

Unless...

Autumn started to pack Ella’s baby bag with all her toys and food she would need for the day. She stuffed the bag full that it could hardly zip shut.

“Ella, go get your bunny and go put on your shoes.” Autumn instructed. Ella nodded and slid off the bed, running into the living room to retrieve her bunny. Autumn grabbed her purse and lifted Ella’s back onto her shoulder and walked into the foyer of the apartment.

Ella sat on the ground and put on her purple velcro sandals. Autumn stepped into her flats and grabbed the car keys off of the kitchen table. She took Ella’s hand and walked out of the apartment, locking it behind her.

Autumn placed Ella into her car seat and buckled her up tightly. She threw her things into the back seat and ran around to get into the drivers’ seat and immediately started the engine. She dialled Lily’s number and put on her Bluetooth throughout the car speakers.

“Autumn? Where are you?!” Lily’s voice boomed through the speakers as Autumn backed out of her parking space.

“I’m coming. I need you to do me a favour though.”

[&&]

Autumn spun her tires on the gravel driveway and parked her car, cutting the engine.

“Ella, can you unbuckle yourself?” Autumn asked, it was more a demand then a question though.

“Yes!” Ella Mae giggled and pressed down the button to release her from the restraint. Ella manoeuvred out of the chair seat and opened the door. She waited until Autumn came and scooped her up into her arms.

Autumn walked across the gravel and up the few sandstone steps and pushed her knuckle against the doorbell three times.

“Open the door.” Autumn groaned and glanced at her phone for the time. “Come on.” She rang the doorbell again and again.

The door opened just as she was about to ring it for a seventh time. The cool air from inside flowed out into the humid California weather. She sighed in relief.

“Hi.” Autumn said and adjusted Ella in her arms. “I know it’s early but I really need a favour, you’re my last resort.”

Joe stood in the doorway with his hair dishevelled and open eye open. He was in a complete dazed, probably because his early morning visitor ringing the doorbell nonstop. He stood there in a pair of red Basketball shorts and nothing else. Not another piece of clothing touched his tanned, muscle built body.

“Autumn!” Joe raised his voice. Autumn shook her head and blinked a few times. “What’s the favour?”

“Oh! I uh, I need you to watch Ella for me. It’s just Storm’s at work and I called Nick but he’s all being Nick Jonas and promoting whatever it is he has to promote. I was going to ask Kevin but we haven’t even had an official conversation. So now all that’s left is you.” She breathed out. “It’s be really great if could. I have this meeting and I have to be there in fifteen minutes, not even. I’ll pay you anything. Please, Joe.”

He chuckled and nodded, holding out his arms to take Ella from Autumn. Ella giggled and reached out for Joe.

“JoeJoe!” Ella shouted and clapped her hands.

“Hi Ella.” Joe smiled at her.

Autumn set down Ella’s bag on the tiled floor in the foyer of Joe’s house and stepped back outside.

“Thank you, you’re a life saver.” Autumn said and looked back at the clock. “I really have to go, though.”

“Wait, Autumn. Take my car. I have a few things to do today and Ella will need to come with me.” Joe snatched his keys from the hook and tossed them at Autumn. “It’s be easier than taking out the car seat.”

Autumn caught the keys and nodded. He did have a point. She took her keys out of her pocket and placed it in the palm of his hand.

“Okay. Bye, baby. You be good!” Autumn kissed Ella’s cheek and waved, rushing down the stairs. She walked up to Joe’s Jeep and climbed inside.

“Wave bye to Autumn, Ella.” Joe said and raised Ella’s hand and waved.

“If she’s not in one piece when I return, you’re dead Jonas!” Autumn called out from rolled down window.

“Yeah, yeah!” Joe chuckled. “Just call me when you’re on your way!”

“I don’t have your number!”

“Trust me, you do!” With that, Joe waved and returned into his Hollywood Hills home and shutting the big faded red door.

I don’t even want to know.

[&&]

Joe set down Ella on the hardwood floor in the living room of his home. Ella’s eyes scanned the unfamiliar space she was in. She turned and looked back up at Joe.

“Did you eat Ella?” Joe asked, lowering down to her two foot eight level. Ella shook her head and patted her stomach, with giggles included. “Ah, okay. Do you like pancakes?”

“Pancakes!” Ella shouted. “Apples.” Ella turned her head and started to run towards the kitchen. Her pigtails swayed from side to side as her feet stamped against the ceramic floor. Joe stood up, laughing. He grabbed a black shirt off of the railing and pulled it over his head.

Ella pushed a chair towards the island in the middle of the kitchen. She was using all her muscles and grunting at the weight of the chair. Joe smiled and swept up Ella. Ella’s laugh echoed throughout the entire first floor of the house. He set her down on the counter top as she began to clap her hands together.

Joe opened the fridge and stood in front of it, pulling out the ingredients to prepare for the pancakes. He set the eggs, milk and butter on the counter then got out the chocolate chips, flour, sugar and baking powder. Joe decided on making them from scratch just like Denise, his mother, used to make for him and his brothers.

Ella, perched upon counter, was babbling to herself and holding her bunny in her left hand. Her babbling turned into mixed words of singing. He was amazed how much this little girl could make him smile. In the past half hour he must have smiled over a hundred times.

Joe flicked on the television bolted to the corner of the kitchen and switched it to a music channel while be began to mix the ingredients into a bowl. He listened as Ella babbled along to the music and snuck some chocolate chips into her mouth.

“Ella Mae!” Joe exclaimed. Ella looked up at him with innocent brown eyes. He was a sucker for a two year old girl. A two year old adorable little girl! It was rather pathetic, but funny in a way. “How about you have an apple until this is done?”

“Apple!” Ella smiled and nodded. “Apple, pwease.”

Joe took an apple from the basket of fruit and washed it off, then dried it. He cut the apple into slices and put them on a napkin for Ella to eat. She was done eating within a good five minutes.

Joe completed the pancakes and set the plates on the table. Ella moved from the countertop to the wooden chair and ate the cut up pancakes with syrup. Joe took his seat at the table and flicked the channel to the news slash sports updates. He watched the highlights from the FIFA World Cup games that were on from earlier in the morning.

“All done!” Ella announced and dropped her fork onto the plate. Joe turned his head from the television and stared down at Ella’s clean plate. Ella gave her best cheeky grin and glanced at the screen.

“JoeJoe. Niq.” Her finger pointed at the screen.

Low and behold, a picture of Kevin, Nick and Joe in the little broadcasting box in the corner of the screen. The reporter was talking about the upcoming tour in the late fall and that tickets that were going on pre-sale.

“Yeah.” He laughed and shook his head. “And Kevin.”

“Keveen.” Ella repeated the best she could.

[&&]

Joe did his errands for the entire afternoon: Going to Starbucks, going to the park, picking up a few things for the house and even stopping by to see his mom and dad for a little with Ella’s appearance. They stopped for dinner at The Apple Pan with Kevin and Taylor. Taylor gushed over and over how beautiful Ella Mae was.

“She’s so cute!” Taylor gushed and sighed, making side glances at Kevin. Suggestive side glances. “Isn’t she, Kev?”

“She’s just adorable.” He replied, taking a bite of his fry and sipping his drink. Taylor glared at her husband. “That wasn’t sarcastic! I was being serious.”

“Right.” Taylor rolled her eyes and continued on drawing with Ella.

Kevin looked from Ella to Joe a few time, stroking his nonexistent beard. He set down his drink and cleared his throat. Joe peered up from his phone to Kevin.

“She kind of looks like you, Joe.” Kevin said. Joe’s eyes widened. “What? She does, I think it’s Ella eyes and her skin tone.”

“Are you on crack Kevin? How can Ella look like me if she’s Autumn’s niece? There are so many things wrong with that thought. It’s sickening.” Joe gave a disgusted looked and focused his eyes back down at the three inch screen.

“Hmm, Kevin does have a point, Joe. You know how some people can have features but not be related?” Taylor asked.

“No, I don’t actually.”

“Well, it can happen. I don’t know. It’s almost like it’s yours and Autumn’s child. Half of Ella’s DNA is Autumn, the other half is Joe’s.” Taylor nodded.

“That’s usually how it works, Tay. But no, Ella is Autumn’s niece. End of story.” Joe finished the topic that was never brought up for the rest of the time they were at the restaurant.

Joe and Ella waved to Kevin and Taylor as they climbed into Kevin’s car and drove off to their own home. Joe snapped the buckle on Ella’s car seat and slid into the front seat, starting the Pontiac G5.

The night was dragging on. Joe had figured that Autumn had got caught up with someone important at work. He didn’t mind watching Ella Mae, he really didn’t.

Joe laid on the dark leather couch with the lights dim and the television only being the real source of light. The channel was one Disney, playing old reruns of Hannah Montana. Ella laid on Joe’s chest in a soundless slumber. Joe’s eyes had fallen close right after Ella’s did. The phone had rang, but not even that could wake those two up.

Jonas, I’m on my over now to get Ella. I hope everything went okay. Be there in ten minutes.

The front door clicked open in the silent home. Autumn made her way inside and called out but no one answered. She walked towards the low volume of the television and stopped in the entrance. She sighed seeing Joe and Ella asleep on the couch. Autumn didn’t really want to wake them but she had to get home.

Autumn crossed the floor and tapped Joe lightly on his shoulder. His eyes opened and blinked a few times.

“Hi.” Autumn said. “Sorry to wake you up.”

“It’s okay.” Joe lifted up Ella and sat up properly. “She has so much energy. I felt extremely old today.” Joe laughed and smiled at the sound asleep two year old.

“I know, she just keeps going and going.” Autumn set Joe free of Ella and cradled her in her arms. She walked towards the front door and placed the strap of the baby bag on her shoulder. “Thank you for this. Today was hell at work with the board being there.”

“You’re welcome, it was fun. She’s great, Autumn.”

“Yeah.” Autumn agreed and pulled Joe’s car keys out of her front pocket, handing it to him. She took her keys off the hook and readjusted Ella in her arms.

Joe opened the front door for her and walked her out to her car. Autumn set the sleeping Ella into her car seat and shut the door quietly.

“Thanks again, Joe.” Autumn said sincerely, getting into her car and turning it on. She flicked on the headlights and started to back out of the driveway. Joe opened the gate and waved as Autumn’s car drove down the pavement.

He smiled lightly to himself, shoving one hand into his pocket and still staring at the lights faded into the distance.
♠ ♠ ♠
Awe. I like this chapter, it's so cute!
I have decided that Ella will be played by Suri Cruise, she's so cute. Except Ella Mae has longer hair, but still.
Tell me what you think? :)