Sequel: Meant to Be
Status: Complete <3 Go check out the sequel!

What Once Was, Is No More

Surprise, Surprise

April 11, 2010

Olivia lay silently on her back, staring at the white ceiling through the fan’s blades as it twirled around. She kept fighting with herself on whether or not she should tell Jason about what happened last night between her and Brendon. There was no compromising between the two sides, but she figured it would be best not to tell him, it would only stress him out more while he was out on business. She turned on her side, folding her hands underneath her head, and bending her knees. Everything in her life she had worked up to after their break-up was slowly falling apart after just one night. She heard a light knock on her door and got up to answer it. Brendon stood on the other side of the door, his face shaven, no glasses, basically looking like the Brendon she used to know.

He smiled. “Hey.”

She smiled half-heartedly. “Morning. What’s going on?” She asked.

“Oh, I just wanted to let you know I’m heading out for awhile. Probably until later this evening. Is that okay?” He asked tapping his thumb on the paneling of the doorway.

“Yeah, that’s fine. I have to run errands all day anyways.” She answered rubbing one of her eyes.

“Great. Oh and if you hear something ringing, it’s probably my phone. It died this morning, so I’m charging it.” He explained.

Olivia just nodded her head okay, not particularly interested in knowing. He took the hint and went on his way out the door. She sighed heavily and felt even worse than last night. She was starting to think she was an even bigger bitch that Brendon’s ex.

“I need to do something special for his birthday. Here he is in another state all alone and about to celebrate his birthday by himself.” She said to herself.

When the light bulb over her head came to life, she quietly walked to Brendon’s room, glancing behind her to see if the coast was clear. The room was starting to smell like him, she thought as she inhaled the air in deeply. She saw his phone on the nightstand and walked up to use it. Her finger glided across the screen to unlock it and tapped the contacts button. She lifted her head trying to recall some of the names Brendon mentioned the previous night.

“Ryan Ross? That has to be him.” She whispered staring down at his name.

After a couple of rings she heard a male voice. “Brendon? What the hell man, where ya been?” He asked.

She cleared her throat before speaking, “Um…Is this Ryan?” She asked.

“Yeah, who’s this?”

“Hi, um…I’m Olivia. This is Brendon’s phone, but…” She was interrupted.

“Wait. The Olivia? Olivia Adams, Brendon’s girlfriend from Vegas, Olivia?” He went on.

“Yes. That Olivia.” She said, trying to control the annoyance in her voice.

“Is-is that where he's at? With you back in Vegas?” He asked trying to connect all the puzzle pieces.

“No, not in Vegas and technically he…we didn’t know we’d be with each other. Long story short, his cousin is my boyfriend and he’s here in Seattle.” She said taking a seat on Brendon’s bed.

“Whoa, even that’s a bit too strange for me. So, why did you call?” He asked finally getting down to the root of the situation.

“Well, it’s his birthday tomorrow, and I thought it would be nice if he had his friends with him. So, I figured I would call some up and see if they’d be willing to make the trip up to Seattle for a surprise birthday dinner.”

He didn’t say anything for a while. Olivia knew he wouldn’t go for it. She was about to tell him that it was okay, never mind, it was a stupid idea, but he finally said something.

“What are we having for dinner?” He asked coolly.

She was somewhat surprised, shocked even that he agreed to come to Seattle.

“Um…I'm not sure yet. Does that mean you're coming?” She asked to make sure.

“Of course. He’s a great friend and he could use some by his side right now. How ‘bout you leave the guests list to me. Just text me the time and place and we’ll be there.” He answered back.

“I-I don’t know what to say. Thanks.” She said and after saying good-bye, hung up.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Brendon sat in the warm coffee shop, blowing and sipping his coffee. Tomorrow he was turning twenty-three. He’d been an adult for five years now and life still seemed more complicated than when he was a teenager. He looked up and through the window saw a familiar face walking past him and into the shop.

She waved her fingers at him as she walked up to where he sat. “Hey.”

Brendon got up to give her a hug and motioned for her to take a seat. “Hey, how’s it going?” He asked.

She smiled and took off her jacket placing it around her chair. “I’m great. I was actually surprised you called right away.” She said taking her seat.

“Oh, um…I hope it wasn’t too soon. I just needed to get out of the apartment and thought what better than to catch up with an old friend.” He said cupping his coffee between his hands, staring into the black liquid.

“No, it wasn’t too soon at all. Despite being surprised I was quite happy that you did.” She smiled at him as he looked up at her.

“Um, did you wanna go order something or…?” He asked pointing his thumb towards the front counter.

She directed her attention that way and said, “Yeah, I think I will. You don’t mind waiting do you?”

He shrugged his shoulders and shook his head. “Not at all.”

He watched her leave to put in her order. She was the complete opposite of Olivia, at least appearance wise. Courtney had medium length sandy blonde hair, deep blue eyes, and a darker skin tone. They had met back in California by a mutual friend and instantly clicked, but valuing their friendship, they decided not get into a relationship. Who knows what would’ve happened if they had, he might not even be here, he would’ve never seen Olivia, but maybe that was a good thing.

“So, tomorrow is your birthday. Have any special plans for it?” Courtney asked as she sat down.

Brendon was startled, not even noticing her return. “Oh…” He shook his head. “No, none I’m aware of. I don’t know, maybe dinner. Would you like to come?” He asked before sipping on his coffee.

“Really?” She asked taken aback. She started to nod her head. “Yeah, I’d love to. Just let me know when and where.”

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Olivia’s day had been most uneventful. She went to the hospital to pick up her paycheck, had lunch with some of the other nurses, made reservations for Brendon’s surprise birthday dinner, kept Ryan updated on the time and place for tomorrow, and ran other errands, before finally arriving back at her place. She placed the white paper bag that contained her dinner on the table and headed to her room to change into comfier clothes. As she stepped out of her room, pulling her up into a ponytail, she ran into Brendon and was startled.

“Damn it Brendon. You scared me.” She said as her hair fell around her face.

He laughed to himself and brushed back the fallen pieces of hair out of her face. “Sorry.”

She smiled and shook her head. Rolling her eyes as she walked away, she heard Brendon yell, “By the way, the bag on the right is mine.”

Olivia didn’t wait for Brendon to start eating her burger. You haven’t lived unless you’ve eating a burger from Dick’s she remembered Jason telling her once. Brendon came out of his room and started to eat his hamburger.

“Mmm. Courtney was right. Dick’s burgers are pretty damn good.” He said giving Olivia a thumbs up.

She should’ve figured that’s whom he was with all day. Courtney. She didn’t even know her and she was starting to get on her nerves. To change the subject, Olivia thought it would be a good time to tell him about dinner tomorrow.

“So, I thought we should go out to dinner tomorrow…for your birthday that is. Whata think?” She asked him, hoping he’d say yes.

After a few chews he answered, “Dinner tomorrow? Um…that sounds good to me. What time?” He asked.

She smiled at his answer. “Seven at Umi Sushi. Sound good?”

He nodded his head. “I love sushi.”

April 12, 2010

6:46 PM

Olivia checked her phone for the sixth time, tapping her foot, and shaking her head. She was waiting for Brendon so they could leave for the restaurant. All that day she had been keeping in touch with Ryan all the while keeping Brendon out of the loop, taking him to different places to keep him busy.

“Brendon, are you ready yet?” She asked, peering to the side towards his room.

She heard his door open and out came Brendon looking nice in a black blazer, white button down, skinny jeans, and converse.
“What’s the rush? Still gotta wait for Courtney.” He said brushing off some lint from his shoulder.

Olivia furrowed her eyes together, glaring in Brendon’s direction. “Courtney?”

“Yeah, I invited her. Is that okay?” He asked raising an eyebrow.

“It’s fine. It’s your birthday.” She said a little coldly taking a seat on the couch.

Five minutes later, Courtney finally arrived. Brendon introduced her to Olivia and vice versa. Olivia put on a happy face the whole time being around Courtney. The car ride was annoying to say the least, for Olivia anyways. She thought she had it coming, seeing as she was surprising Brendon, Brendon surprised her. Why did she even care? It wasn’t like she had feelings for him, she kept telling herself.

“This is a great sushi spot. Have you ever eaten here Olivia?” Courtney asked.

Olivia counted to three and took a deep breath. “Once, with my boyfriend. It was really good.” She answered.

As they got out of Olivia’s car, she texted Ryan that they were there and heading inside already. On her right, she saw Courtney wrap her arm around Brendon’s, resting her head on his shoulder.

“May I help you?” The hostess asked.

“Urie.” Olivia said.

The hostess smiled. “Right this way.” She said leading them to a private room in the restaurant.

“Where we going?” Brendon whispered into Olivia’s ear.

She didn’t answer. When the doors opened and Brendon walked in, he was greeted with “Surprise!” from his friends that came up from LA.

Brendon jumped back, a little shocked by what just happened. He smiled as he looked around the room of familiar faces. There was Ryan, Spencer and his girlfriend Hailey, Jon, Zach, and Pete. But how?

“What the…how’d you…” He was speechless.

“You should thank her.” Ryan said pointing behind Brendon to Olivia.

He turned around and saw a blushing Olivia, who was trying to hide a grin. She shrugged her shoulders at him swaying back and forth. He went up to her and gave her a hug.

“Thanks…” He whispered in her ear.

She smiled internally and externally. “You’re welcome.” She whispered back.

After releasing her from his arms, he gave her a quick peck on the cheek, then turned around and yelled, “Let’s get this party started!” Raising his arms in the air.
♠ ♠ ♠
Party Time! I wonder what's gonna happen at the after party =o haha 'til next time! And sorry for taking long to update! Hope you enjoyed!