Tie It With a Ribbon

Hastiness as a Virtue

“Chastity is already up in your bedroom?” Zanzibar asked quietly, because we were not deep in the woods just yet. I nodded, holding his hand tightly. “About yesterday…”

“What?” I asked, an anxious edge cutting through my bliss.

“That’s just it. What happened? I remember, but I don’t know what we decided upon.” He smiled innocently, sweet obliviousness shining in his vibrant eyes.

“I don’t know,” I lied, not wanting to sound ridiculous. “I think I told you that I want to marry you, and then you told me that I’m an impatient fool.”

He frowned. “That does not sound like me. I do believe that I said I would gladly marry you if you told me that you wanted to marry me for apolitical reasons. And I would never call you a fool or anything of that sort, and I wouldn’t dream of being so cruel to you. Better?”

I smiled in response, squeezing his hand for a second. “Very much, Mr. Lion.”

He laughed softly, stopping suddenly, just before we reached the open air of the marketplace. He turned to me abruptly, smiling apologetically. “I just do not want to share you yet, Alena, and I certainly do not want to spend the day with Katrina rather than you… Remember that place I was telling you about? Well, I think I would like to show you today, right now. Unless you have objections to spending time with me outside of public; I would understand completely.” He glanced slyly to me out of the corner of his eye, as if sizing up my reaction.

“What on earth would make you think I would object to that?” I huffed, grinning childishly.

“You are too charming,” he teased, lifting my hand to his lips, as he had a tendency to do. My cheeks went hot, but I forced myself to not look away, a gesture which pleased him. “Thank you, Alena. Perhaps I should kidnap you now, before I regret stealing such a precious gift from the world?”

“Don’t be so cheesy,” I teased.

We walked in complete silence after that, though it was strictly voluntary and entirely comfortable. I chose not to speak out of fear of ruining the moment when no words were necessary. The trip lasted around ten minutes, but I, to my surprise, preferred making the trip on the ground rather than in the air, though it is not to say that I did not miss the air beneath my wings.

I glanced around the thick forest as I followed Zanzibar blindly, catching his gaze every so often and blushing before quickly moving my gaze elsewhere. He tapped my wrist gently before catching it, causing me to whirl around and face him quite befuddled.

“It may not be a palace in the skies, but I should like to hope that you will love it all the same,” he murmured quietly, as if the air was going to shatter like glass around us.

“I’m sure I will,” I told him, my voice hardly a whisper. “But we will not know until you allow me to see it.”

He smiled apologetically, nodding gently before stepping aside. He did not release my hand, but I had grown used to his nonchalant physical contact—and I knew that it certainly was not a revolting gesture.

Finally allotted to take in the scene before me, I could not help but take in a quick breath—a breath that caused the scent of beautiful lilacs and daffodils to rush into my lungs. Willow trees towered above me, the branches swaying in the gentle, flower-scented breeze; the soft grass felt more lavish than the most expensive carpet; and the sky was so clear and blue that it almost seemed to be staged for my viewing pleasure. There was a single boulder in the center of the clearing, and it seemed to have been molded perfectly to serve as a throne for two.

“Oh, Zanzibar,” I breathed, listening to the chirping of the cheery birds fluttering in the sky above us. “It’s absolutely gorgeous.”

I took two gentle steps toward the boulder, running my slim fingers over the elegant stonework. Zanzibar followed me carefully, helping me sit beside him.

“So very stunning,” he agreed, his hand resting so gently on mine.

I smiled quietly, turning my attention to the handsome prince sitting beside me, but I found that his gaze was already focused on me. I stumbled for words, my face turning bright red as he brought my hand to his lips yet again.

“Zanzibar, I—I don’t know what to say,” I whispered, smiling innocently as he ignored my words completely, focusing on my arm as he trailed kisses up to my shoulder. I took in a quick breath when he finished, his eyes watching me carefully.

“I do not wish to impose, but…” He smiled nervously. “I do not think I have ever seen a woman as beautiful as you, Alena, be her Leonian or Aquilan.”

I reached out hesitantly, pressing my cool palm to his warm cheek. His lips parted slightly as he leaned absentmindedly towards the touch, still managing to watch me so closely. I considered kissing his cheek softly, but it did not seem right for the moment, so I stepped out of my comfort zone and kissed his lips gently.

Against his lips, I mumbled, “You don’t impose at all.”

He smiled into the kiss, slipping his arms around my waist and pulling me closer, removing any possible polite distance rather than moving to make room for more. My arms snaked around his neck as he caressed my lips with his own as the world around us continued to spin as if we did not matter, and the feeling of insignificance was so desirable at that moment.

“This is more difficult than it should be,” I told him regretfully as he pulled back, smiling sadly.

“I am afraid that I will be the first King to be killed by his own people, Alena,” he admitted quietly, kissing me gently. “But as long as I died defending you, I will not have died in vain.”

I thought for a moment, biting my lip. “Does this mean you no longer think I am being hasty?”

He stood suddenly, but he did not allow me to stand with him. He swooped down on one knee with such grace, his face much paler than usual, as if he truly feared my answer.

“Perhaps you will tell me?”