Tie It With a Ribbon

Traitors in High Places

“Are you sure you are up to this? I would understand if it is too much to ask.”

“No, no. You accepted with such grace when I offered, and who would I be to turn you down? Besides, we both know the practice would be nice.”

I smiled to Zanzibar, kissing his cheek gently as he applied a skin toner to his tan skin. I understood what he had meant, then, when he had said that he preferred my natural look, because I found myself quite disappointed as I stared at the pale man with such pale eyes.

He frowned. “Do I not make a good eagle?”

“No, it’s perfect, but I miss Zanzibar,” I admitted, holding his warm hands. “I suppose it is a good thing contact is unheard of, for I do believe your cover would be blown.”

He kissed me gently. “I am sorry, milady Alena, for I know you are spoken for by a handsome young lion. I am merely a lone eagle, who has returned home after much wandering in the world.”

“That is alright, Vincent, but I must ask you to refrain in the future, for my heart has been taken by the Leonian King.”

He smiled wryly, turning to face the reflection that surely could not have belonged to him. The tips of his fingers pressed against the cold mirror as he scrutinized himself with such unconcealed curiosity and care. I frowned silently, and he did not look any happier with the image, but he did assure me that it was only temporary.

I led him, without the comforting warmth of his hand on mine, to the marketplace where my people were mingling in crowds. A quick glance to Zanzibar revealed that he was, as I had predicted, perfectly at ease and capable of mimicking the perfect Aquilan man. He caught my gaze and winked before glancing around the crowds to find that all eyes were on us. He was an unfamiliar face, after all, and it was understandable that he would be spotted so quickly. I fought a whimsical smile, introducing him to the silent crowd as a lost bird, who had recently stumbled upon our town and wished to consider living here.

He managed to behave perfectly, giving no hint to the life to which he was perfectly accustomed—a life full of warmth, love, and comfort. He actually impressed me quite a bit by how well be blended in, as he even forgot his lion’s grace and managed to walk as my people did, which meant using polite distance. Everything was actually going quite well, considering the strange circumstances.

“Milady Alena, who is this?”

Well, everything was going smoothly until Alexandros appeared in front of me, his eyes speaking of betrayal and suspicion. I could almost feel Zanzibar tense beside me, though he did not appear to be stressed at all.

“This is Vincent. Vincent, this is my guard, Alexandros,” I told him, keeping my eyes on Zanzibar, who was starting to look rather uneasy.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you,” Zanzibar lied through his teeth, bowing respectfully. “Alena has told me many things about you.”

Alex narrowed his eyes, keeping his eyes on the disguised lion. “Why do you speak of your Queen so casually?”

Zanzibar stuttered before smiling apologetically yet innocently. “I’m sorry, I’m still learning.” His voice held somewhat of a sarcastic tone, which must have slipped past his charade.

“Learn quicker,” Alex muttered, turning to me. “If you do not mind my asking, is this him?”

I shook my head gently, not daring to glance to my fiancé. It was not a total lie, because I was not marrying a bird named Vincent. “Alexandros, I will tell you my decision when I tell everyone else, but this is just a friend.”

Alexandros seemed pleased with my answer, and he left soon after. I turned to Zanzibar, to see just what was going on.

“Alena, not here,” he begged, reaching out to catch my hand. He stopped himself at the last second, sighing regretfully. “I miss home, where I can hold you so freely.”

I smiled gently. “I would like to know what is going on, Zanzibar,” I mumbled, glancing around for a moment. “Would you mind terribly if we went inside the Nest? We can talk less publicly.”

“So I cannot hold your hand, but I can be in your room without being scandalous? This is ridiculous,” he whispered, annoyed.

I shrugged apologetically, leading him inside and up the countless stairs. We were stopped several times by numerous guards, but they finally allowed us to pass after much heckling. The last guard, the one in front of my door, was not swayed so quickly. Alexandros stood firm in his decision, but—to my surprise and horror—Zanzibar stepped forward and demanded that he allowed us to pass. He even threatened him in a foreign language, one that I did not understand. Alex glared for a moment before stepping out of the way.

“What did you say to him?” I asked, still in shock as the door closed behind us.

“I should like to teach you the ancient language of the Gryphes one day,” he told me, standing near the door as I stepped farther into my quarters. “I merely told him that he should not stick his nose where it does not belong, that is all.”

“Why do I get the feeling that you are lying?” I asked, frowning.

He smiled apologetically. “I am sorry, but I must honor my mother and father. I will tell you once it does not matter any longer, once you are my queen.”

“Can you tell me something?”

“I hope.”

“Do you know Alexandros?” I asked, my voice quiet. I did not know if there was an eavesdropper at the door, after all.

“I know him, yes. And I am quite sure that he recognized me,” he admitted, pushing his hand through his thick hair.

“I can barely recognize you,” I mumbled, picking up a water bottle and dabbing the water onto his face. His tan skin returned to normal, and he gladly removed the contact lenses.

“I missed you, Alena.” I grinned childishly as he caught my hands, pulling me closer to kiss me quickly. “Do you have any idea how truly beautiful you are?”

I blushed, having to look away for a moment, but he caught my chin quickly, tilting my head up. I smiled nervously as his hands fell to my hips, and I wrapped my arms around his neck. His eyes didn’t seem to question me as he kissed me again, but this time it was deeper. I smiled against his lips as my heart threatened to beat out of my chest, and I couldn’t help but smile even more as I could feel his heart beating beside mine.

“Zanzibar,” I muttered, not wanting to pull away, but what if someone should see us? “Maybe we shouldn’t—”

“Just what is going on?” Alexandros demanded, busting the door in.

Zanzibar and I shot away from each other, and I honestly did not know what to do!

“Alex, listen—”

“This is that damn lion, Alena!” he snapped at me, pushing Zanzibar out of the way as he stormed up to me, snatching my wrist roughly.

“Alex!” I cried, jerking my arm out of his grasp. “You will not touch me like that ever again, and you will not raise your voice at me!

“You’d be insane to think I would allow you to marry this beast!” he shouted anyway, glaring at Zanzibar.

“He’s not a monster; you are!” I shrieked, rushing over to my fiancé and ensuring that he was alright. “You will not harm your future King, Alexandros, or I will be forced to immediately discharge you.”

“He will not be my King, Alena,” he hissed. “I don’t think your mother will disagree with me once I tell her who you plan to marry!”

“Alex—”

“Alexandros,” Zanzibar stated firmly, stepping towards him. “This is treason, I will have you know. Your King and Queen will have you maimed if you act against them, and I am quite sure they will take my side. They know of the marriage, and they are just as delighted as I am. Will you really lose your life over this silly business, knowing that she does not love you just as you do not love her?”

“Shut up!”

“What?” I asked, turning to Alex. “Did you ever love me?”

“No, he didn’t,” Zanzibar spat, glaring at him. “He’s not even a finch; he’s a Siberian, of my kingdom! I was not supposed to tell you, but he’s been a spy ever since he was born. Though lately he’s become a bit of a rogue. Go ahead, tell Alena why you wished to marry her so badly.”

I stood, shocked, as Alexandros, the man I had believed to be my very close friend, stumbled to justify himself. I shook my head, fighting away the tears of betrayal. “That won’t be necessary. You were using me, weren’t you? If you were King, you wouldn’t have to go back, isn’t that right? You never even cared about me!”

“That is a lie, Lena,” he murmured, playing up the friend card. “I think I cared too much. I just did not fall in love with you, though it is obvious to me that you never fell for me either.”

“Get out of my sight,” I hissed, grabbing Zanzibar’s hand for support. “And if you breathe a word of this, I promise Cadence will slit your throat as you sleep!”

The door slammed behind him, and Zanzibar kneeled beside me as I dropped to my knees, staring at the floor.

“Oh, Alena, I am so sorry,” he promised, kissing my forehead gently. “But I will not let him hurt you any longer, I swear on Merit’s grave.”

I nodded furiously, trying to forget the face of the man who had betrayed me for so many years.