Tie It With a Ribbon

Our Predicament

“I’m sorry my visit to the Nest was not as pleasant as it could have been,” Zanzibar murmured as we walked through the forest.

I shook my head, relishing the warmth of his hand on mine. “But are you sure it is a good idea to leave? Alexandros may tattle on me to my mother.”

“He is a coward, Alena. He would risk his life to save birds, but there’s no way he would ever set himself up for suicide in the name of a lion.”

“I don’t understand,” I started quietly, “why Alexandros hates lions so much. I mean, he is a Leonian, isn’t he?”

He nodded carefully, kissing my hand gently as we continued the peaceful walk. The soldiers had left the battlefield while peace treaties were negotiated, though I knew better than to get my hopes up. “He is a Leonian, but he was always a bit strange. He fits in better with the birds, though old habits die hard. Have you noticed how he can get so moody sometimes? He didn’t always have to hide his feelings, though he prefers to do so. He was sent off as a spy when he was very young, though he had agreed immediately once his father was killed in war. I think he was around five years old at the time. We had thought he would hate the birds, especially after his older brother was killed, but he seemed to blame the Leonians for every misfortune to fall upon him.”

“But how is it that he can fly?” I asked, recalling the many occasions we had flown together.

“Magic, for lack of a better word. We supplied him with countless amounts of the stuff, which allowed him to spread wings and even take the form of a finch in the sky. The dosage did not last long, but he took a lot of it. By now his body has probably become so used to it that he almost is a bird, and he has certainly forgotten of his lion form.

“When we first met, I could tell that you had such strong feelings for this man, and it killed me that he used you so much. But what was I supposed to do? I had no right to stand in the way of your happiness, but I will not deny that I am glad you know the truth now. He simply could never deserve a woman such as you—no one could, not even myself.” He pulled me towards the edge of the forest. “Just one to hold me over, because we must speak with my mother and father about our predicament.”

I smiled, kissing him deeply and absentmindedly playing with his hair. He kissed the bend between my neck and shoulder before pulling himself away. To my surprise, he took my hand and led me through the marketplace. I suppose no one saw me too well (I was not disguised in anyway), and we made it to the Den without any interruptions.

“Hello, future sister!” Salina cried happily as we stepped inside. “Oh, you are a bird today.”

“I am,” I agreed, smiling happily as she caught my hand.

“I thought birds were cold,” she commented under her breath, but I did not say anything. I already knew I was not a typical bird, and I think she knew it as well.

“Salina, my dear sister, can you tell our mother and father that we would like to speak with them?” Zanzibar told her, leaving me to place his hands on her elegant shoulders. “The sooner, the better.”

She nodded, running off as quickly as her legs would carry her. Zanzibar smiled, stepping up to me with his natural elegance.

“Aren’t you Super Dad?”

He grinned, kissing me gently. He opened his mouth to speak, but I heard a different voice.

“Why am I being ushered out here?” Cadence asked as Salina pushed her into the middle of the lobby. Grayson smiled at the spectacle, crossing his arms over his chest.

The smile disappeared from Zanzibar’s face, and he stepped into place beside me. “Actually, we have a problem.”

The couple stopped smiling, and Salina hurried out of the room. “What happened? I thought you weren’t announcing your choices for a few days.”

“It’s not about that… It’s about Alexandros.”

Cadence’s gaze drifted over to me, and then to Zanzibar. “Does she know?”

“Yes.” Quickly, he added, “But I only told her because he found out about us. She has a right to know, and I was tired of allowing him to use her like that.” He kissed my forehead gently. “Besides, is it entirely necessary to keep it a secret? I trust her.”

His mother’s face softened, and a small smile formed on her lips. “I’m glad.”

“What is this business about Alexandros now?” Grayson asked, staying on task.

“He is becoming a problem,” Zanzibar muttered, sighing quietly. “He is putting the plan in jeopardy, and he is threatening to inform Nadia of the upcoming marriage in the hopes that she will not allow it, which I am quite certain will happen.”

“Surely you reminded him the punishment of going against direct orders.”

Zanzibar nodded. “The maiming should be enough to scare him, but I would feel much better if you forced him to abandon his mission before it is too late. We no longer have use for him, as I see it. You cannot deny that he is no longer doing his duty, for when is the last time he reported back with us? It’s been well over three months, and we are about to declare him a rogue.”

“Zanzibar, I know you mean to protect Alena, but you cannot do things merely for her benefit. It is great that you’ve found her, but mixing personal feelings for her and throne business does not always work out cleanly. We must not be rash. If we suspect that he is jeopardizing anything, then we will pull him out immediately,” Cadence promised, smiling apologetically. “I will certainly not allow anything to endanger your happiness.”

Zanzibar did not seem at all convinced, and Cadence and Grayson seemed to be begging me with their gaze, so I took his hand quickly.

“Let’s not spend the entire day arguing, because it will get us nowhere.” He smiled, squeezing my hand. “I came here to spend time with you, not barter with your parents.” I smiled innocently as he kissed my hand tenderly, his eyes set on mine almost suggestively. I blushed furiously.

“I think you’re right, Alena,” he murmured, pulling me close suddenly and wrapping his arms around my waist. “Would you object to some time with me?”

“Of course not,” I mumbled, kissing him gently.

He released me to grab my hand, and he led me out of the Den. “Our secret spot it is.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I haven't updated in a while, but I do have a story. Do not step on glass!

I broke a light bulb a month ago, and I just yesterday found a shard in my foot! I figured hey it hurt, but it can't be in there that far. Well, it was. But I pulled it out and was like okay... (three seconds pass) Oh, my goodness! It started bleeding out of nowhere so I had to hobble to the kitchen to get a paper towel. It was so nasty and painful! I can't walk on my right foot now! :| But I guess I'll be sitting more now, so writing is a strong possibility.

Oh, and the chinchilla is getting quite the attitude lately! He keeps barking at me (lol) and chewing on his treat box, throwing a fit if I don't give him some oats. Someone needs to go to reform school, because my lil fuzzbutt is spoiled rotten! But I still love him :)

And to make up for lack of updates (and this life story I just posted!) I'm updating two more times right after this.