Tie It With a Ribbon

A Hidden Army of Enemies

“He’s perfectly fine, just a few minor cuts. You should really count yourself lucky. Isn’t this the second attempt of someone taking your life?” the doctor asked, putting away his examination instruments.

Zanzibar remained silent, standing perfectly still without any intent of giving a response.

“Yes, we are very lucky,” I told him, taking Zanzibar’s hand with a worried look plastered to my face. “Thank you, doctor. This is certainly welcomed news, especially among times like these.”

He nodded. “We’re all finished here, so you two may leave whenever you like,” he told us, exiting the room and closing the door behind him.

I glanced up to Zanzibar, a permanent frown on my face. “Zanzibar, this is the second time you have saved my life. And I’m grateful for that.”

He shook his head slowly, collapsing in a nearby chair, still holding my hand. “You don’t understand, do you?” I shook my head, sitting in the chair next to him. “He looked absolutely terrified, Alena! It was the same look as the one on Monica’s face when I killed her…” He let out a shaky breath. “How am I supposed to be your private guard now? I hesitated. And in that moment, he could have killed you. I hesitated, because I knew him, and that just…”

I kissed him softly, shaking my head carefully. “Of course you hesitated. It’s because you’re a very compassionate man, and I love that about you.”

He smiled sadly. “He admitted to it. The guard that I trusted to protect you at your coronation was the one that was working with Alexandros.” My eyes widened, and I couldn’t help but stammer to find words. “He released him, because he said what we are doing is pointless. He said that this will never work, and he thought that this ‘silly idea’ of mine would die if you did. He swore that Alexandros promised that no harm would come to me, but I just don’t know if I can believe that. Alexandros obviously lied at any rate.”

“But now he’s gone, and Alexandros will be gone soon, too.”

He shook his head. “How can we be sure? How do we know that he doesn’t have any more followers?”

I looked down. “I don’t know. This is going to take time, I understand that. But I can’t imagine someone being so willing to kill their King and Queen just because they’re not a pure-bred couple.”

“And how can we expect them to accept our children?” I bit my lip, because that had never crossed my mind. “A baby is entirely helpless, Alena.”

“But they have their parents to protect them. Why are you acting so strange? You can’t really sit here and tell me that you don’t have hope in this anymore.”

His eyes dropped to the floor, his grip on my hand loosening dramatically. “We haven’t even been married for two months yet, and we already have problems. I know, I know; we jumped into it too quickly. But that’s not just it. I think deep down we both knew we were completely different people.”

“So you’re giving up?” I asked, releasing his hand entirely and pushing myself to my feet, refusing to look at him. “Honestly, what happened to Zanzibar Giovanni, hmm? The man I knew wouldn’t allow himself to be caught dead with that kind of attitude.” I turned on my heel, shaking my head. “The man I knew was so excited about finally giving our people peace, the ultimate gift to our warring nations. How do you expect me to stand here and listen to this? I’ll tell you something—I won’t.”

“Alena—”

“You know, I was so happy when you managed to quiet an entire room of Aquilans just by being you. Was that all an act? Maybe I’m not the perfect bird, but I thought lions were supposed to be kings, not cowards,” I spat, shaking my head furiously and hurrying out of the room, allowing the door to slam loudly behind me.

I needed to talk to my mother about the assignment of my personal guard, because it was quite obvious that Zanzibar would no longer be the perfect candidate. A few of my people watched me uneasily, presumably noticing the absence of their supposed king. I sighed, dragging myself through the doors that led directly into the hall of my mother’s suite.

“Oh, my Queen!” her silky voice called, a smile gracing her lips.

“Chastity!” I greeted her warmly, for there were no others in the hall. She threw her arms around me, a gesture I found no need to reject. “What brings you here?”

“Actually, milady Nadia wished to see me. She told me that she liked your dress and asked if I could craft one for her, though less formal.” She was grinning from ear-to-ear.

“That’s great. You must have your hands full,” I told her, smiling warmly. “Is she still in her room? I actually came to speak with her.”

She nodded. “Yes, she’s just sitting up in her quarters. I offered to accompany her to the marketplace, but she refused.” She frowned for only a moment, and I turned to leave. “Wait!”

“Oh, I’m sorry. What is it?”

She glanced around for a moment. “Where is…?” Her voice trailed away, because I had never perfected my poker face, unlike most of my kind to which it came naturally.

“I would rather not discuss it, if you wouldn’t mind terribly,” I mumbled, trying to push the thoughts out of my mind.

“Oh, of course. I hope everything will work itself out.” The worried look on her face did not disappear.

“But sometimes problems don’t just disappear. I believe it takes two people to have a relationship, unless I am wrong?” She shook her head solemnly. “He knows where to find me, then.”

“I wish you the best.”

“And I wish you the best with your new task.” I smiled gently, excusing myself from the conversation.

I knocked on my mother’s door, waiting for a few moments until she called out. Stepping in quietly, I shut the door just as smoothly. My mother smiled from her spot on the couch, patting the seat beside her.

“Do join me, Alena.”

I smiled, obeying loyally. “I wanted to discuss something with you.”

She frowned suddenly, to my confusion. “Oh, of course. Is something the matter?”

“Nothing is the matter, really. It’s just that I don’t have a private guard now, considering everything that has happened.”

She made a strange face, shaking her head. “Alena, what are you talking about? Of course you do.”

“I… I do?” I asked, watching her carefully. “Well, who?”

“Well, I thought you two… Isn’t Zanzibar?” I gasped lightly, looking to the door. “He just dropped by, and he said that he wished to join the Royal Guard, so he could be your personal guardian. He said that the two of you discussed it, and he wanted to have the last Queen’s consent as well, so the other soldiers wouldn’t give him a hard time.”

“Wait. Wait, wait, wait a minute,” I muttered, rising to my feet. “What do you mean he just dropped by? When?”

“Just a few moments ago, actually. I summoned Chastity, and he showed up with her. After we finished our business, he stayed behind to ask about, well, you know. I assumed it was alright with you.”

“Oh, of course.” I glanced around, suddenly so very confused. “I’m going to go talk to him.”

As I stepped to the door, my mother reached out and placed a hand on my shoulder. I turned around, about to ask if everything was alright, but she pulled me into her arms abruptly, holding me warmly for the first time since I could remember.

“Mom?” I mumbled, holding her back. “Are you okay?”

She nodded, taking in a shaky breath. “I’ve lost everything, Alena. I lost Cain, I lost
Justice, Clarence, Adrianna, Terrance… And I was so close to losing you, Alena. I’ve lost everyone, and if you…” A sob escaped her throat, and I felt tears forming in my own eyes.

“Mom, nothing is going to happen to me. The war is over, I promise. I won’t let any more innocent lives be taken.” She kissed my forehead uncertainly, probably unsure how to do it, considering her lack of experience in the ‘motherly affection’ department.

“I love you, Alena. You know that, don’t you?”

I smiled. “I know. And I love you, too, but I really need to talk to Zanzibar.”

She nodded feverishly, shooing me out the door, closing it firmly behind me.

But two arms wrapped around me suddenly, from behind me. I cried out, slamming my heel onto my attacker’s foot. He groaned, falling to the floor as I whirled around, ready to kick him if he tried anything funny.

“Alena,” he groaned louder, rolling on the floor while holding his foot.

My hand flew over my mouth. “Oh! Zanzibar, I am so sorry!”

He shook his head, and I helped him to his feet as he hobbled. “It’s okay.”

“Is that a tear in your eye?” I asked worriedly, frowning.

“Men don’t cry,” he muttered, wiping his eye anyway. “But that really hurt.” I smiled sheepishly. “I was trying to be spontaneous, but I suppose it was a terrible idea. But at least I know you won’t die so easily.”

“Morbid humor. Zanzibar, what is going on?” I asked, receiving a small smile in response.
♠ ♠ ♠
I slipped up....for quite a while. But I'm going to try to get back into the swing of things. I've been in the mood to write lately, but I'm definitely going to try to finish this before I get too caught up in the other ideas! I already know how this is going to end, so now it's just getting from point A to point B (: