Tie It With a Ribbon

Vague Pronouns

“Honestly, don’t you two have more important things to do than hang around insignificant me?” William teased, stepping aside to allow us to pass despite his words.

“I suppose not,” Zanzibar joked in response. “But we do thank you for your hospitality.”

“I should thank you for your presence! Truly, though, what has brought you to my home this time?” His smile did not falter as he led us to the small living area, and yet I could not see how he was not the least bit suspicious by our sudden visits.

“Oh, we were in the neighborhood.” Zanzibar’s charmer’s smile nearly made my heart melt, but that probably would have caused serious medical damage.

He smiled quirkily. “I don’t believe that, but I suppose all that matters is that you were kind enough to stop by. I know my life isn’t the most exciting, and it can be a bit lonely.”

“I know what it’s like to be lonely,” I murmured, biting my lip. “And I’m sure Zanzibar is lonely, what with his father and sister being away. But I think some company will certainly do some good.” I paused, thinking for a moment. “If you don’t mind me asking, why did you never settle down and have a family?”

He shook his head absently. “It’s not that a wife and children didn’t sound heavenly—believe me, it sounded more than amazing. Unfortunately, sometimes Fate decides what you wanted is not what you should have.”

“Have you not found that perfect woman yet?” Zanzibar asked, and our coy gazes met at that instant. I blushed, looking to William.

“Oh, if only that were the case. I’m afraid that ship has sailed, and all that remains is tidal waves to remind me that I missed it. And yet, perhaps it was not meant to be, who knows? It is certainly far too late to revisit that now.”

“Has she passed?” I whispered, trying not to be too obvious. I was elbowed in the side by my ever-so-loving husband, but I ignored it.

“Heavens no! Thank the gods she has not. But I simply do not see anything different happening. It was an infatuation sure, but we are simply far too different.”

“But you loved her?”

He smiled. “I’ve never stopped. Even if she had passed, surely you must know that a strong love never dies with the body.”

I smiled, nodding gently. “That is very romantic, but if you feel so strongly about her, surely she still feels something for you—friendship at the least, if not more. You would regret never speaking with her again.”

“Ah, but I would regret speaking with her even more.”

“I’m afraid I don’t follow,” I muttered, wishing he was not so guarded.

“You are still a child, my Queen, and though you have been forced to grow up far too quickly, you are still quite new to the idea of love. Now, before you argue with me,” he said quickly, causing me to blush coyly, “your marriage is quite young. I am sure you two have already discovered that it isn’t as easy as you had previously thought. I’m sure part of this is because of the differences between you, and your ages certainly doesn’t make it any easier. I’m sure your parents did not speak to you about the Leonians in a positive or romantic light, and my parents did not speak of the Aquilans in a romantic light in the least.”

“Wait, is she an Aquilan?” Zanzibar asked, suddenly sitting on the edge of the couch and gripping my hand rather tightly.

William jumped in his skin, his eyes darting across the room before he slammed them shut. “Please, my King, I would love to discuss everything about me with you, but my love life concerns others as well.” He opened his eyes, staring at me as he said, “And as such I cannot tell you if she is an Aquilan.”

My heart pounded in my chest, and I suddenly felt like hands were strangling my throat. I struggled to breathe through the constriction, but then my vision started to fade as dizziness consumed every sense. I reached out for Zanzibar’s hand, because I could not feel it! Where was he? I stood hurriedly and turned every which way, trying to find him. But he was gone!

“Zanzibar!” I cried, starting to panic as my heart had surely lodged itself in my throat.

I could hear distorted voices calling something, and I tried to stumble towards the noise, but my legs collapsed underneath my numb body.

There was a heat sensation on random parts of my arms, but I could not open my eyes to see what was happen, and I could not rightfully tell what the source of the heat was. I could feel my body being lifted, as if I was suddenly weightless.

A soft sound filled my left ear, and though I could not fully comprehend what he was saying, somehow I knew it was Zanzibar. It offered a little comfort to know that he had not disappeared, but the slight calming affect did not do enough.

“I’m scared,” I think I choked out, or at least I tried.

I could not tell if I was crying or not, but I knew that I felt like crying.

The only thing I could hear then was the echoing of William’s words as his eyes bore into my very soul: “I cannot tell you if she is an Aquilan...”