Tie It With a Ribbon

The Shadows of Daylight

“Sweetheart, your face is covered in mud,” Zanzibar told me, though I was only half awake.

I garbled nonsense as a wet rag was pressed to my forehead, and his soft chuckle filled the air. I turned from him, burying my damp face in the pillow.

“Now, now. If you’re going to wander into a swamp, you will have to face the wrath of soap and water.”

I turned to glance at him curiously. “How…?”

He smiled. “I figured you wanted to go alone. Was I right?” I nodded appreciatively. “But of course I watched to ensure you were alright. Did you do what you needed?”

My thoughts returned to Reginald, and I smiled. “I think I did.”

His charmer’s smile melted my heart, though he dragged me out of bed to embrace me. “I am glad. You seemed a bit troubled, but I believe the light has returned to your eyes.” He caught my gaze for a moment, and I was nearly lost when he broke the trance. “Yes, my precious Alena has found the sun again.”

“Don’t be so cheesy,” I teased, embracing him tightly and quickly. “I think I should probably talk to my mother soon…to clear the air and whatnot.”

“Are you sure you can speak to her without raising your voice? I don’t mind, but I know how it gave her an excuse last time.”

“I’ll be on my best behavior,” I promised, looking to the door. “What time is it?”

“Around ten, I’m sure. Why?”

“Good. She is usually awake by now.”

“You don’t mean right now!” he called after me, on my heels as I stepped into the hallway.

“I do not see why not,” I told him, my steps quickening just in case he should try to stop me.

“I can think of many reasons for you,” he insisted, trying to stop me as predicted.

I stepped out of reach, ignoring his advice entirely. “And I can think of many reasons to not listen.”

“Alena—”

“Please don’t do this to me,” I mumbled, glancing to him as his indecision flickered through his eyes. “Look, we are already here. What’s the harm?”

“It will only end the same way.”

“You don’t know that,” I muttered quietly as we approached her door—and Reginald. “Reginald, is my mother awake yet?”

His face betrayed no hint of what had happened last night, but mine did not either. He had given me his confidence, and I would not throw it back in his face.

“Yes, milady, but she is out at the moment.”

Strange. She did not leave her home very often.

“Did she say where she was going?”

He looked suddenly baffled. “Yes. She said she was summoned by a Mr. William. I did not know that she knew a William?”

My teeth slammed against my tongue, so I might avoid saying something I would regret. I only nodded, turning quickly and hurrying towards the front door.

“Where are we going now?” Zanzibar asked, trying to keep up with me.

“My mother was summoned by William. I know you have ears, Zanzibar.”

His brow narrowed. “Yes, but…”

I could see the realization dawn on his face.

“Now, why would William suddenly wish to speak with my mother? The only reason I can think of is that he listened to the advice we gave him just yesterday: he is speaking to the woman with whom he is so in love!”

“If what you are saying is true, then we are not going nearly fast enough!” he told me, grabbing my hand and pulling me as I struggled to keep up with him. “If we do not catch them face to face, Nadia will only deny everything we say.”

“We cannot get there fast enough on foot, then.”

“What are you suggesting?”

He stopped only once we reached the forest, turning to me.

“I can fly, and you can, well, do that thing you do. It would be faster, wouldn’t it?”

He nodded, taking in a soft breath. “But maybe you will be able to do ‘that thing I do’ soon.”

“Maybe,” I agreed, looking to the sky. “But for now, my home is the sky.”

I did not wish to see the lion so soon, so I hurried into the sky and flew as fast as I had ever. The world had been but a blur until my feet were on the ground again, and yet Zanzibar was already waiting for me.

I worked to even my breaths, but I did not have the time before we were running yet again. There were stares, which was understandable. It was not so much a big deal as it would have been at my home, but I’m sure we would have explaining to do.

His house was in sight, and the door and windows were firmly shut. Zanzibar rushed ahead, and by the time I reached him, he had already begun knocking.

There was no answer. The house was entirely silent.

“Where are they?” I asked, stepping over to the window.

There was no sign of life inside the house. The only source of light was the sun, and everything seemed so still.

But something seemed amiss. The furniture was moved. Perhaps he had simply done some redecorating to impress my mother.

Glass shattered suddenly, and I jumped in my skin, looking around for Zanzibar.

“What are you doing?” I screamed at him, gawking at him.

He shook his head, continuing to break the window.

“I’m going inside.”

“You can’t just break into someone’s house! It has to be illegal!”

“I wasn’t the first.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Look at the side of the house.”

I shook my head, stepping past the broken shards and around the side of the house. I blinked twice at the sight before me. The window had been absolutely destroyed. The glass was scattered throughout the grass.

“Zanzibar?” I called, my heart speeding up again.

He did not answer.

“Zanzibar!” I tried again, rushing to the front of the house.

The door pushed open suddenly, and a hand clamped over my mouth before I could scream again.

“Be quiet!” he snapped in a voice lower than a whisper. “If I let go, will you stop shouting?” I nodded, and he released me, but not before placing a blade in my hand.

I stared at the weapon, cringing. “Why?”

“I do not think that William broke into his own house, and that means someone else did. How are we to know if the intruder is not here? Keep that on you at all times, please.”

“This is crazy, Zanzibar. I don’t know what happened, but there is no way someone just broke in here in broad daylight. I don’t see how we have not been arrested!”

He gave me a look that all but begged me to realize how obvious the answer was. Well, of course we were not apprehended: we controlled those who apprehend.

“Even still, I’m quite sure the intruder does not control them. Maybe there was a bit of a mishap here. We cannot just come inside without invitation. It’s not right.”

“Alena, sometimes what is right is not what must be done! Now, please, be quiet.”

He stepped past me, glass crunching under his feet. I followed him silently, glancing around the even quieter home. The living area looked entirely different, and it looked as if someone had simply pushed the furniture around without care as to how it looked. The dining table in the dining area had been flipped, and one of the chairs had made its way into the living area.

“Zanzibar,” I whispered, looking around in confusion, not sure what to make of this. “What do you think—?”

I let out an “oomph” as I collided with his back. I tried to ask him what he was doing, but he did not respond. I stood on the tips of my toes, trying to discover what had left him mute as we stood in front of a bedroom door.

And suddenly I understood.