Tie It With a Ribbon

One Last Goodbye

“She is that bad, then, if she requires the hospital?”

“She passed out only seconds after I found her. That man will burn for what he has done, though I know that does not help you,” Zanzibar murmured, clutching to my hand tightly as we walked through the empty halls of the Nest.

“How bad… How bad off is she?” I whispered, refusing to cry. If I let one tear fall, I knew I would never stop.

“Alena… She was poisoned. It is a miracle she is still holding on, but they do say that we tend to hold on until everyone has had their chance for goodbyes.”

I shook my head. “But my mom…” I bit down on my lip, looking to the door.

“We have to hurry. If you wish to see her one last time, you cannot waste any time.”

“Okay, but…” I stopped him as he tried to step inside. “I want to do this on my own.”

He nodded, kissing me gently. “I’ll be around, if you need me.”

I pushed open the door, not able to fully comprehend what I was seeing.

Zanzibar had sugarcoated everything. She was covered in scars and blood, and she was much paler than I had ever seen her. Her dull eyes watched me as I stood, frozen, in the doorway. She lifted her shaking hand, as if beckoning to me.

“Mom!” I cried, my careful mask crumbling as I ran to her side, tears streaming out of my eyes as I grabbed her hand tightly.

“Alena.” Her voice gave out, and I begged her not to push herself as she tried to sit up. “I must tell you…”

“You need rest,” I told her, fixing her sheets carefully, trying not to stare at the wounds covered by bloody bandages. “We can talk later, when you’re feeling better. I promise.” I smiled nervously, my lower lip shaking as I bit it.

She smiled sadly, painfully, as she took my hand gently. “You know as well as I…” I looked away quickly, not wanting her last memories to be of her daughter betraying customs by crying. “It’s about your father.”

“I know he was killed in the marketplace, not fighting in the war,” I told her, sucking my lip. “There’s no way they would allow him to fight as a commonplace soldier.”

“I am talking about your father, not Cain.”

My gaze drifted over to her. “Oh, Mother....”

She looked to the window then, as if wishing me to see what she knew, without having to speak of it. A small sigh filled the air around us, but I waited patiently. I needed this answer, once and for all.

“William Summons,” she started, “was a childhood friend of mine. He did not like Cain, because he said he was not good for me; he believed I needed more than someone to protect me—that I needed someone to love and cherish me. Cain was a great man, but he never had my heart entirely.

“Alena, I will admit it was a terrible thing to do, but I will not apologize for it, nor will I call it a mistake. William and I, we had an affair. It was short-lived, because I felt so guilty. But a few nights… Those few nights were some of the best of my life, but I did not expect to carry those nights with me after I resumed my position as a faithful wife. But I soon learned that I was pregnant with you, and yet I knew Cain was not the father… We both knew.

“William understood when I told him that I must raise it with Cain or be impeached, and he stayed away. Cain loved you despite the fact that you were not his child, and I cannot thank him enough for his forgiveness, nor can I thank him enough for carrying this secret to his very grave, may he rest in piece.

“What I’m saying is this: I did not stay with William, because I was sworn to the perfect Aquilan man, and I do not blame you for loving your Zanzibar.”

“Mom,” I muttered, the world suddenly becoming hazy as I reached out to steady myself. She caught my hand gently, helping me stay on my feet as I gaped. “Then that means…”

“You are not a normal bird, Alena. I knew from the beginning that you would wish to be with the Leonians, though you would not know why. It is perfectly normal to wish to be home, after all.” She took in a painful breath. “I want you to remember William, your father. But I also do not want you to forget Cain, because he did love you as he loved all of our children. I know William would have been an excellent father, one you would have loved entirely, if only he had been given the chance.”

“When were you going to tell me this?” I choked, glancing towards the door for a second, half expecting to see Zanzibar waiting patiently, but he wasn’t.

“I was going to take it to my grave,” she whispered, her voice cracking. “I didn’t want you to fall in love with a lion, or even consider it. But now that it’s happened… You have my blessing, even if Alexandros will not give you his.” I tensed slightly. “He told me long ago of your plans, but I refused to allow him to stop the ceremony. I just wanted to see my only daughter happy.”

I squeezed her hand as she closed her eyes against pain. “I love you, and I am so very happy.”

“Tell your husband…I am terribly sorry for any wrongdoing our people have done to him.” Her voice held a certain finality to it, but I did not argue. I slammed my eyes shut as tears brimmed, and I shook my head painfully.

“I will,” I murmured, biting my lip as it trembled.

“I love you, Alena.”

Her grip on my hand tightened for a moment, but then her arm dropped, and a long, monotonous, heart-breaking beep filled the room. Before a single tear could fall, Zanzibar’s arms were wrapped around me, holding my trembling body in his arms as he kissed me gently. The sweet nothings faded into the background as I held him without any intent of releasing him ever again.

“I love you, too, mom,” I whispered into Zanzibar's chest, sobbing.