Tie It With a Ribbon

Reminders of Mortality

“Alena? Chastity?” Zanzibar called, knocking gently on the door. “I’m sorry to interrupt, but I would like to have my wife back, if you wouldn’t mind?”

I did not move. I stayed on my place on the floor, staring at the heap formerly known as Chastity. I did not dare try to retrieve my blade, because it looked to be the only thing holding her together. Her eyes were still wide open and staring straight at me, as if daring me to take my eyes off her for a second.

But I hadn’t done that for nearly an hour now.

He was silent for a minute, but then he started pounding on the door. “Alena!”

I opened my mouth to consider speaking, but suddenly the door was busted down. I threw my arms over my neck, ducking low to the ground, but nothing happened.

“What…?” His voice trailed off, and I turned to look at him, feeling the blood on my cheeks. “Oh, thank the gods you are alright!” He pulled me into his arms, staring at the corpse. “What happened?”

“She thought I would be easier to handle,” I choked out, removing my eyes from the revolting sight.

“You don’t mean…”

“I do.”

He pulled back to look me up and down. “Are you alright? Fuck, and here I thought—Alena, did she hurt you? I should have been here! I could—”

“It doesn’t matter now.” I pulled myself out of his arms, prying the blade from her dead fingers. “She was in with Alexandros, and she is responsible for William’s death.” I handed him the blade, and his face went pale.

“I think I’m going to be sick,” he admitted, covering his mouth and looking away. “That smells rank…” His eyes went wide, and he whipped his head around to me. “That’s blood, isn’t it?”

I nodded, my lower lip trembling as my eyes began to water. I tried to form words, but my throat closed up, so I only continued to nod feverishly.

“I trusted her with you…” His eyes wandered to her body again, and he cringed. “How did that happen?”

I held up my hands, showing him the red stains that no water would be able to clear. He caught my hands anyway, bringing them to his heart.

“I’m just glad you’re okay. If you weren’t…I would never forgive myself.”

“I think I’ve proved that I’m not helpless,” I murmured, fighting to gain my voice back. “But I thought I was going to die… I really thought I was going to die.”

“No,” he mouthed, pulling me into a gentle embrace. “Don’t even think about that.”

“She said that she went to Alex because I told her about wanting children. She said it was okay for us to be married, but it wasn’t okay to try to pass down our united front to an heir because it would lead to trouble down the road,” I muttered into his shoulder, refusing to let go.

“That is ignorance talking, Alena, and don’t you dare listen to it,” he begged, kissing me softly. “But I don’t want you in here any longer. We’ll stay here tonight, alright? I’ll meet you soon; I just have to take care of this mess.”

I nodded, pulling myself out of his arms and leaving through the empty doorway. Civilians peered out of their doors, gasping at the sight of their Queen covered in blood. Reginald ran up to me, demanding to know what was wrong.

I pointed to Chastity’s house, refusing to answer any questions with anything but pointing. No one approached me as I entered the empty castle, aware of each step that echoed through even emptier hallways.

I walked past room after room, all of which had once served the purpose of my family’s private quarters, though now they were only constant reminders.

When I made it to my bedroom, I ran immediately to the private bathroom, aware that I was truly going to be sick.

“Alena, I’m worried,” Zanzibar told me, suddenly leaning against the wall and watching as I lost everything from my stomach.

“It’s not a walk through the park for me either,” I choked, standing up.

“Whenever I got into a fight, you took me to the doctor. Can I do the same, as a concerned husband who loves you very much?”

I nodded, chafing my arms slowly. “It’s understandable, though, right?”

“It is…but I want to be safe.”

The walk to the doctor was even more unnerving, because the guards were all focused on me. It made me realize just how many served the royal family…

Well, they only served me now.

“What has our King gotten himself into now?” he asked, his back to us.

“Actually, I’m not the one getting into scuffles today,” Zanzibar said proudly, smiling. “Our Queen is the source of worry this time around.”

“Oh?” His brow furrowed as he turned to look at us. “Oh! What have you…?”

“It’s not my blood. Zanzibar is worrying is all.”

“I remember when a Queen did not have to defend herself,” he murmured regretfully, sighing. “But times these days are much different. Please, sit here and we’ll do some blood work. It’s standard procedure.”

I grimaced as the needle dug into my skin, but Zanzibar was beside me in that second.

“Funny how a little needle can hurt you when a capable killer cannot.” He was not laughing.

I sighed, flexing my arm before it could tense up. “It’s not your fault, you know. You are the only reason I’m alive, because you made me carry a knife. If anything, you saved my life.”

He kissed my cheek, ignoring the blood. “I’ll feel better once we are sleeping safe and sound.”

“Milord, can I speak with you for a moment?” the doctor called from the hall, his eyes on me at all times.

I held tightly to his hand. “Don’t go.” This couldn’t be good.

“I’ll be right back,” he promised.

I tried to watch them, but the door closed behind my husband. All I could do was wait patiently and pray the news wasn’t too terrible.

But Zanzibar came in with a pale face, and he tried to smile (though he failed miserably) as he took my hand and kissed it softly.

“Alena,” he whispered, his voice breaking. “We’re pregnant.”

I slammed my eyes shut. “I hate this sick sense of humor you have.”

He shook his head. “I'm not laughing.”