Tie It With a Ribbon

Safe Return

“Hello… Are you two still sleeping? I swear, sometimes I think I’m just talking to myself. I have better things to do than stand outside this door and knock patiently! Alena? Zanzibar? For crying out loud!”

I groaned, turning around in Zanzibar’s arm and slapping him sloppily on the chest. “Answer it,” I grumbled, refusing to open my eyes.

“Go away!” he groaned loudly, grabbing my hips with a very loose, tired grip.

“You know, I would think that you would care more about your dear sister returning home!” the voice huffed, muffled by the wood of the door.

My eyes shot open, and a smile crept onto my face as it registered.

“Camille?” I asked, shooting up in the bed and awaiting a response.

“Finally!”

I jumped out of the bed in that second, hurrying to the door and flinging it open. She greeted me with a warm hug, that irreplaceable smile on her face.

“Oh, Alena, I do believe I have missed you the most!” she squealed, releasing me. “Oh, and I have learned so much! I do believe I should have a look at those books again soon.”

I smiled. “That is great news.”

“And I hear that you are glowing!”

My smile vanished, and I glanced around the hall quickly before pulling her inside. I pulled the door shut behind her, hushing her quickly. Zanzibar rubbed his eyes sleepily, watching us with obvious confusion.

“What? Oh!” She slapped her forehead. “Did he not know? I am so sorry! I did not mean to spoil—”

I shook my head. “No, he knows. I’m just afraid of anyone else finding out. Is Cadence screaming it from the rooftops?”

She smiled, tilting her head to the side slightly. “Oh, she’s only told me, Salina, and my father. Why? I cannot believe that you two wish to keep this quiet… What good is parenthood if you cannot tell people you are a parent?”

“It’s not that simple, Camille,” Zanzibar sighed, throwing the sheets off of him and joining us slowly. “The mere thought of reproduction drove Chastity to attempt the assassination of her own Queen. If the thought was enough, what will happen when they discover that the thought has been acted upon?”

She looked to me, gasping in disorientation. “Wait! What happened now?”

I looked down, holding out my palms. “Do you not see the blood?”

“What are you talking about?” she whispered, leading me to the bed as she sat on the edge, in between Zanzibar and I.

“I cannot clean these hands of her blood, Camille! It will always be there.”

“But if it wasn’t her blood, it would have been yours!” Zanzibar argued, letting out a deep breath. “Mothers are supposed to be lovers, not fighters…and certainly not killers or targets!” He shook his head, mumbling self-loathing comments at himself.

I scoffed, looking away from him. “At any rate, no one can find out about this baby until things calm down. This was the worst possible time for this news, but what else can we do but pray?”

“This is…” Camille shook her head. “I suppose you are not glowing, then.”

“Thank you,” I mumbled, smiling warily. “But you have returned safe and sound. This is something to celebrate, is it not?”

She smiled, nodding cautiously. “I suppose it is. But…before we drop this entirely…might I feel? This will be my first niece or nephew.”

I looked to Zanzibar, who shrugged. I nodded, and Camille clasped her hands together happily. She reached out with a steady hand, waiting for a few moments before a smile split her face.

“Oh!” she gasped, grinning from ear to ear as she pulled her hands into her lap. “Zanzibar, this is your child alright: already so strong!”

He made a face. “Okay, I’ll bite. What are you after?”

She smiled bashfully, looking towards the door. “Remember that little deal we made before we took off for the Gryphes’ land? Well, my soldier boy and I were talking and… Weston proposed!” She received a loud groan in response. “Now, as my King and brother, it would mean a lot to us if you would bless us and the sacred bond we are about to enter. I know you want to be my big bad brother, but I love him. You know this.”

“That is so cute!” I squealed, anything to get her off of the topic of the baby. “You have my blessing, and I’m sure Zanzibar will be good.”

“Yeah, yeah,” he grumbled, letting out an ‘oomph!’ as Camille embraced him tightly.

“You two have not met Weston cordially, and I invited him to dinner with the family tonight. Alena, do you have any experience in the kitchen?”

“I cannot say that I do,” I admitted, smiling obliviously.

“Oh, Camille,” Zanzibar grumbled, slapping a hand over his face.

“I must teach you, then! I’m helping with dinner, and I believe that any woman should know how to cook! Perhaps Zanzibar would also—”

“He would not also!” he interjected, shaking his head furiously. “I have accepted that I have no culinary skills. If I can accept it, so can you! Salina can be your little helper. I don’t want Alena getting into too much excitement—not in her current condition.”

“Don’t be such a hovering husband! You should have warned Alena about how bad you are going to be, dear brother. We both know you will drive our favorite eagle insane.”

I smiled as they bantered teasingly, though I could not help but glance down to the living being inside of me.

“I hope you’re comfortable in there,” I whispered quietly, “because there is a good chance this will be the only home you will ever know if we cannot settle these people.”

I could feel his eyes, so I looked up. Camille was still shouting teasing comments at him, and he would smile and retort comebacks, but his eyes were full of so much concern as he stared at me.

I bit my lip, wrapping my arms around my stomach.

“On second thought, maybe Alena would like to join you?” Zanzibar said quietly, pulling his eyes from me. “But only if she desires it. Of course, I would tag along and bother you all silly.”

Camille smiled, glancing to me and winking. “Sounds like fun, doesn’t it?”

I smiled, nodding gently as she went into a fit of excitement. Zanzibar mouthed his three magic words, to which I whispered, “I love you, too.”