Tie It With a Ribbon

Spilling Lies in a Repetive Fashion

He held my hand much too tightly, and he talked much too quickly; it seemed that he was afraid of silence. I bit my tongue, listening with ears that would not believe the lies he fed to me. He spoke of the one thing that had destroyed our homes in what seemed to be one brutal, destructive night; the one thing that had killed both of our parents (not to mention the fact that it also brought to my attention my mother’s impurity); the one thing that had caused countless riots in our once calm, fair cities.

He spoke of “love.”

When he had his fill of discussing his everlasting feelings for me, he moved to something more concrete: our children.

That was the one thing that brought a smile to my face while simultaneously making me die on the inside. We had brought three lives into this miserable world, a world that would soon collapse on itself. That was what I regretted most: sacrificing three newborns for what we desired, to fulfill our own selfish wishes.

“But I’m rambling,” he finally said, smiling and enjoying his charade. “Besides that, I suppose we have more important things to discuss.”

“The letter,” I agreed, not objecting the action of him releasing my hand.

“Yes, the letter.” He helped me onto the rock, sitting beside me. “The letter that Weston wrote.”

“You promised me answers, Zanzibar.”

His smile faltered. “Is anything wrong?”

I forced a smile, one which proved me to be a brilliant liar.

“I just want to know, so we can return to fixing things.”

“My selfless Alena,” he lied, churning my stomach. “But you are right.

“Well, I ran into Weston in the kitchen, and he offered his condolences for your loss. He said that Reginald had been a wonderful man, and I had then asked how he knew him.

“Apparently, Reginald had been to the Den prior to our affairs. Because Liana was partly a Leonian, he had tried to gather word about them from my people. Liana had spoken to him of a young boy who had worked to cheer her up when she was thrown out by her mother. That was Weston.

“Weston spoke to Reginald about Liana, thanking him for everything he had done to help her. Weston had never known why she was so upset and, because Reginald believed Liana surely trusted Weston, he told him about everything he knew.

“Weston had been shocked, needless to say, but he had still understood. He even went so far as to say that he was so uplifted at the fact that love could cross such barriers.

“He told me that he had known from the beginning that we would face problems, and he convinced himself to finally do something about it, to help Liana more than he could when she had been alive; he wanted to make sure their love was no longer so taboo.

“Weston wrote the letter without telling Reginald, but he hadn’t stated his name out of fear that someone might find it; after all, if he was associated with our business, he would surely be put on the hit list. He thought things through.

“It gives me hope, Alena, because it is no longer true that everyone who has helped us is dead. It makes me think that we can do this, even if we have to sneak around a bit. Or maybe I am only being optimistic… I do not know.”

I smiled genuinely, able to take pride in the fact that Camille had found a wonderful Leonian for herself. It was clear that he would take care of her, and it helped to somewhat ease the guilt associated with Grayson’s suicide.

“It is a nice story,” I admitted, shaking my head. “But it is ridiculous that he had to fear for his life.”

He frowned. “I know that, but at least he is still breathing. I cannot imagine how devastated Camille would be, and I can only be with one sister at a time. Saline, however, is doing rather well lately; she met an Aquilan, though she does not wish to have children.”

My heart stopped. “An Aquilan?”

“That is not the reaction I had hoped for,” he mumbled, sighing. “At any rate, they are simply having fun right now. She said that, after seeing what we have been through, it would not be a good idea for more mixed breed children. I think she is set on loving a bird, though, and I already gave her my regards.”

“She has my blessing as well,” I offered quietly, though I could not help but pray that a Leonian would sweep her off of her feet.

“There is actually something else I wanted to talk to you about.”

I glanced to him suddenly. Was he going to come clean?

“It’s about your heritage.”

No.

“What of it?”

“Weston said that he knew William Summons, and though he knew he had a child, he did not know that the child was you. He said that William often mentioned trying to teach his daughter about her native language… So that means that you can understand me simply because he taught you it, not because you are a split.”

I could not help but be comforted by the fact. I would not share such a blessed thing with my son, and that was what I deserved. Aside from that, well, at least this way my entire royalty line had not been a lie: I was Aquilan as far as anyone else knew, and it could not be proved otherwise.

“I expected that, to be honest. He seemed to be too fatherly to pass up such an opportunity.” I paused. “Zanzibar, is that all we have to discuss?”

He bit his lip, offering a tentative smile.

“Actually, sweetheart, I think I’m ready to tell you about the…thing. I’ve thought over my words, and I just want you to listen until I am finished no matter how strongly you wish to object.”

“That won’t be necessary.”

He flinched then, watching me carefully. “…You know.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Summary (Again, you only need to read this if you don't fully understand what happened):

At this point, Alena is pretty much swept away by her paranoia, as she truly believes that Zanzibar is lying to her about everything; and she fully regrets their love, which she believes was the one thing to destroy their homes and their parents. She also has come to regret their children, because she thinks they were selfish for bringing them into a world that would only condemn them.

All the while, Zanzibar is only faintly aware that something is wrong, but he chooses to dismiss it as anticipation for the news about the letter. He believes her words so blindly despite the fact that she is lying to him, but Alena refuses to believe his truths; this is meant to show the reality of their situation (as if you recall their plan for if one went insane, Alena is the one who needs to be eliminated).

The story behind the letter is thus: Weston knew Liana personally, as he had always worked so hard to help her out of her gloom. When Reginald went to the Den, he tracked down Weston because of the high regard in which Liana had spoken of him. He told him about everything, so Weston would fully understand. When Weston wrote the letter, he did not tell Reginald, and he did not speak his name out of being fear of being killed (the fate of everyone else who helped Alena and Zanzibar).

This helps Alena feel less guilty about Camille losing her parents, because she sees that she has a perfect husband to take care of her, but she is still angered that Weston had to even think about losing his life. This, again, is a difference: Zanzibar seems to still find hope, but Alena has already made up her mind--she is giving up.

Then Zanzibar tells Alena that Salina wants to marry an Aquilan, news which greatly disturbs Alena while making Zanzibar smile. Alena offers her blessing, but she does secretly desire that Salina will escape the fate into which she and Zanzibar have fallen.

Zanzibar admits that Alena is not a hybrid, news which actually makes her smile: she will not be able to bond with London on such a high level, and she thinks it is what she deserves, and she is also an Aquilan as far as anyone else knows.

At the end, he is finally ready to tell her what his parents did, but Alena tells him he has no need. The chapter ends with an anxious Zanzibar, as he is worried how she will react. He had wanted to tell her, so he would know if she was angry, but now he does not know what to expect from his already unstable wife.