Tie It With a Ribbon

It's Considered Suicide

I didn’t speak to Mother or Alexandros on the way home. Alex tried to start a conversation once, but I just asked Reginald if I could fly ahead since the castle was in sight. He agreed, so I took off.

I landed on my balcony, changing back into my less elegant human form. I stepped farther in, closing the curtain behind me, so Alex wouldn’t bother me. I collapsed on my bed, shaking my head. I wanted peace so badly, but they wouldn’t even put pointless loathing aside, if you could even call it hatred.

On my bed I noticed a piece of clothing folded into a small square. I stood up and unfolded it, curious as to what it was. The dress tumbled open, leaving me breathless. It was a beautiful burgundy dress that flowed gently to the floor. It had a small golden chain wrapped around the waist, and it looked very intricate and probably would take some time to get on. I noticed that the back of the dress was open. A note fell to the floor.

A single name was scrawled out in calligraphy: Chastity

Surely a simple girl couldn’t have crafted this magnificent garment, but I spotted her name stitched on the inside of the neckline. I folded it gently, tucking it away in my chest. I would have to thank Chastity the next time I saw her.

There were a few small knocks on my bedroom door, and I knew who it was. I sighed, knowing Alexandros would stand there patiently all day if I allowed it. I pushed myself onto my feet and quietly opened the door. He questioned me silently with his eyes, and I sighed but stepped back and allowed him to walk in nevertheless.

“I know you’re upset with me, but what was I supposed to do? Allowing you to go through with that ridiculous plan would have been equivalent to shoving you off a cliff with clipped wings,” he told me, sitting on the trunk at the foot of my bed.

I sighed, sitting down beside him. “That could have been our last chance at peace, and it slipping through my fingers… I wish you would just trust me.”

I nearly jumped at the feel of his cool hand on mine. “I trust you with my life, Alena,” he murmured, staring into my eyes. He was telling the truth. He tore his eyes off of me suddenly, moving to put polite distance between us, an unnecessary silent apology on his face. “I only want to make sure you become my queen. I want to make sure I won’t have to bury you like I had to do to your brothers.”

I looked down immediately, unable to trust myself. That final sentence had cut into my heart. I had lost too many loved ones, and I would not lose any more. A hand fell gently onto my shoulder, and I looked up to Alex with tired eyes. “Do you want to know what he said to me when he appeared in my room?”

His face fell. “Not really, but you want to talk about it.” I nodded. “Then these ears are all yours, Milady Alena.”

I smiled softly, looking down at my toes as I spoke. “He said he thought the idea itself was outrageous, but that he was willing to sacrifice anything in the name of peace.”

“Noble words could not grace a lion’s lips,” Alex told me, harshness slipping into his tone. He cleared his throat, regaining his composure. “But I do not believe that being with you would be any form of sacrifice.”

I turned to him to smile and thank him for the compliment that had made my cheeks burn, but my words got caught in my throat. His eyes were so soft as he touched my cheek.

“Alex—”

He cut me off by simply shaking his head. His free hand fell onto mine, and he tucked a loose lock of my chestnut hair behind my ear.

“Alena, you know what you mean to me, don’t you?” he whispered, sounding as if he was afraid the fragile air around us might break. I barely nodded, but he smiled. “I know we’ve known each other since childhood, and I’m glad that I’ve had you in my life for so long, but I’ve wanted so much more for quite some time.”

He was getting alarmingly close, but I was not going to be the one to back off. We hardly had any alone time like this, and there was so much that we needed to discuss. We both knew that I would be naming him as my betrothed, but we had yet to truly spend time together. He pressed his forehead gently to mine. He opened his mouth, a small smile on his face, but the door was pushed open. We shot up straight, immediately putting distance between us.

“Alena!” my mother cried, sounding so worried.

“What’s wrong?” I asked, standing up. Alexandros was already at his feet beside me.

“Get Alena out of here!” she begged of my guard, hurrying over to my balcony and untying the curtain.

“Why? What’s going on?”

“Adrianna and Terrence,” she whispered, unable to finish her sentence. “The assassin is still in the castle.”

The blood rushed from my face as Alex started tugging me to the balcony. My mind had gone on autopilot as the events were blurred from my mind.

I was the only one left.
♠ ♠ ♠
That was actually rather nice of me, because I could have killed someone important :P Hmm, that was rather mean!