Status: active

Love 'Em or Leave 'Em

chapter two

Most teenagers age liked to hang out at restaurants, parks, or random basements. Kaylie, however, had recently taken to sitting in her local Barnes and Noble's café with a hot beverage (usually hot chocolate, she didn't like coffee much) and some literature. She used to read at home, late at night so she wouldn't be “found out” by her family or friends. It's not that she cared that people knew how much she enjoyed reading, especially the classics, she just didn't want to be associated with the “typical” people who read all the time. But now that most of her nights were taken up by Stephen, she had to figure out other times she could read. Her house, during the day, was usually loud, making it hard for Kaylie to concentrate, so one day she escaped to her now beloved bookstore and spent four hours reading Jane Eyre. Now, on an unusually cloudy February day, she made herself comfortable on one of the many big, cushioned chairs the store offered to customers like Kaylie, and continued with her rereading of The Great Gatsby. It was one of her favorite books she read in high school, and she made a point to read it at least every few months.

“You don't look like a sophomore, why are you reading that?” a blunt voice wondered. Kaylie looked up from her book to meet the eyes of this rude questioner. She was greeted by a head of unruly, light brown hair and slightly darker brown eyes.

“Um, because I like it?” she snapped back, ready to go back to her reading. Instead, the guy sat down across the aisle and seemed study her. “Is there something else I can help you with?”

“Yeah, tell me how a girl as pretty as you has enough interest in required reading to seemingly reread such novels?” he asked, with mock perplexed look on his face.

Instead of blowing him off like she felt like doing, Kaylie decided to play along. She hadn't any fun with guys for awhile. “I don't know, maybe you can tell me why okay-looking guys always like to pry into other people's business?”

“Woah now, I'm not trying to offend you miss, I'm simply curious.” This guy was definitely a character. He held his hands palms-out towards Kaylie as he retaliated. “I'm Taylor, by the way.” He made his way back towards Kaylie and extended his arm.

“Nice to have an exchange with you, Taylor, but I should really get back to my book,” she stated, placing her novel in front of her face to block him out. After thirty seconds, she lowered the book to meet his still-extended arm again. She sighed, grinned, then firmly shook his hand. “I'm Kaylie, and you're determined.” Taylor gave her a toothy smile before sitting in the adjacent seat next to his new friend.

The two got into a conversation concerning everything from other favorite novels, the weather, music, and plans after high school. Kaylie discovered that Taylor went to school a town over from her, and was currently at this Barnes and Noble applying for a job because the store nearest him turned his application down.

“What makes you think they'll hire you here if others won't?” Kaylie asked, amused.

“I don't think they'll hire me here, but it doesn't hurt to try, You gotta be persistent with the things you want,” he said, shrugging his shoulders. His attitude explained a lot. “Also, ya know, the girls around me aren't nearly as attractive or intellectual as the ones over here.” Kaylie rolled her eyes. “What? I'm just speaking the truth!”

They continued to talk for another hour or so, with Taylor purchasing Kaylie her third hot chocolate of the day. She knew the inevitable question would come up soon and she wasn't sure how she would respond. More easy conversation was made, and when Taylor smoothly asked her on a date (claiming he knew a place that had killer hot chocolate) Kaylie agreed with no hesitation or second thought.

Four days after meeting Taylor, Kaylie found herself seated across from him at a table in a café that could only be named by the simple sign out front stating Hot Coffee. Kaylie loved little hole-in-the-wall places such as this, and her date was right, the hot chocolate was killer.

“How did you find this place, anyways?” Kaylie asked several minutes into their “date” (she refused to officially call it a date at this point).

“My older brother's buddy used to work here, he'd give us free drinks after school,” Taylor answered.

“Ah, there's nothing better than free, good, beverages,” Kaylie smiled. She was liking Taylor more and more as the night went on. He made her laugh with every other word out of his mouth, he was polite, cultured, and liked mostly everything Kaylie had an interest in.

The worst part of this night, she later figured out, was that she hadn't thought of Stephen one time. She knew that what she was doing was wrong, but she couldn't help it. It was in her nature to do whatever she wanted, and she definitely wanted to be here with Taylor. She also wanted to remain with Stephen, which posed a problem. Or did it? Why couldn't she fully date two guys at the same time? Granted, she might have to keep her relationship with Taylor on the down low, for fear of Josh finding out and murdering her, but she could manage.

When Taylor dropped her off at home, she didn't even wait for him to ask to kiss her. She first made sure all the lights were out in her house, not wanting her parents to catch her cheating, then turned and gave Taylor a kiss not usually appropriate for first dates. Oh, she was going to have fun with this.
--
♠ ♠ ♠
Ah I'm so excited to get into the plot now! Thank you very much for all comments and subscriptions, it means a lot!