‹ Prequel: How It Should Be
Sequel: More of These Days

These Days

Eleven

Karen wondered why Sidney didn’t answer his phone but didn’t have much time to dwell on it because five minutes after she left the dining hall and two minutes after she called Sidney her brother called her.

“I found out which Penguin she’s dating.” Evan said without preamble. Karen sucked in her breath.

“Oh Evan, I want you to tell me, but once I know I’m going to have to tell the poor guy she’s still trying to sleep with you, so if you don’t want that to happen you’ll have to keep his name to yourself.”

“I want you to tell him, that’s why I’m telling you. You really think that I want to sleep with that psycho whore that cheated on me?” Evan said. Karen smiled to herself. “And I’m also calling to inform you I have to come back to Pittsburgh for a follow up interview so you should stay with Sidney and we can get dinner and I can meet him.”

“Um, alright, but let’s put that planning on the back burner until you tell me who it is!”

“Tyler Kennedy.” Evan said. Karen let some air go. A part of her was worried it was Sidney…a very small part…part of her was worried it was Tanger and that’s why he’d been acting so strangely.

“Alright, I’m going to call Sid and try to get Tyler’s number. Text me when you know what day you’re coming to the Burgh and I’ll try and stay with Sid. If not I’ll borrow Brett’s car and meet you for the day.” Karen and Evan exchanged a few more pleasantries and Karen called Sidney’s phone again. He didn’t pick up.

“Sid, it’s me. Look, this is really, really important and I need to get a hold of Tyler as soon as possible. Please, please, please call me back with his number or give him mine and have him call.” Karen hung up and prayed Sid would get the message soon.

Meanwhile, Tyler was at Kayla’s. They were naked and relaxing in her kitchen when Tyler himself got a series of phone calls. The first was his roommate.

“Tyler? Let’s make a deal.” Kris said. Tyler shook his head.

“No.”

“Yes. I’m going to call her-”

“No!”

“And if she picks up I’ll talk to her about what’s happened and how she feels-”

“Kris, no!”

“But if she doesn’t than I’ll just never call her again, deal?”

“No. I said no, so no.”

“Okay, how about this-”

“Kristopher Letang you are not calling her.”

“I will.” Tyler stood up in all his glory when Kris hung up. Tyler looked at Kayla who shrugged as if to say she didn’t give a fuck. Five minutes ago she was definitely giving a fuck. A really long and good one at that.

“I have to go stop him. Do you know where all my clothes are?”

“Check the living room.” Kayla said. Tyler walked into the room and began putting on his clothes. Kayla followed and watched as Tyler pulled his shirt on. She sipped at her cup of coffee. Tyler found his pants behind the couch. “So I guess I’ll see you later.”

“Yeah, I’ll call you,” Tyler said, slipping on his shoes. He grabbed his jacket and smiled at Kayla and left in a hurry. He then received a frenzied phone call from Sidney’s sort-of-girlfriend.

“Is this Tyler?”

“Is this Karen? Yeah, it’s me.”

“Yeah it’s Karen. Oh thank god. Sidney wouldn’t call me back so I called Geno but his English is so broken I wasn’t sure I got the number right!”

“You sound…weird. What’s up? Is something wrong?”

“I need to tell you something.” Karen said quietly.

“What?” Tyler asked when Karen didn’t speak.

“It might upset you.”

“Karen, just tell me!”

“Your girlfriend is looking to cheat on you.”

“What?” Tyler shook his head in disbelief. “Where are you getting this, Karen?” Tyler slammed his car door shut and floored it, racing toward home to attempt to stop Kris, even though he knew Kris could be on the phone that very second.

“From the guy who she cheated on with you.”

“Oh, that’s a credible source.”

“That guy is my brother Evan, Tyler. Evan was the guy from the bar and she’s going to stay with him back home in Montana when she visits in two weeks.”