‹ Prequel: How It Should Be
Sequel: More of These Days

These Days

Fifteen

“Ugh, I’m freaking out.” Erin said, pacing Evgeni’s hallway. Violet sat with her legs sticking out rubbing her belly on the floor.

“You’re absurd. It’s one fucking date.” Violet said. “I’m freaking out. I’ve got a child inside of me. Tell me that that isn’t something to freak out about.”

“Oh, come off it, Violet Marie Walsh. You can’t wait to be a mom.” Erin shook her head at her pregnant friend. “Ever since Geno got excited to be a daddy you’ve been turning into mother goose. Next thing you know you’re going to stop cursing and start saying fudge and sugar honey ice tea instead of fuck and shit.”

“Well, Ms Erin Know-It-All. I am excited to be a mother. But your situation is minuscule. It’s petit. It’s wee. It’s one little date with Maxime Talbot.” Violet snorted. Her phone then vibrated and when she looked at it she groaned. Erin raised an eyebrow. “Matt’s been texting me all the things I’m not allowed to do now that I’m pregnant. So far I’m not allowed to drink, do illegal drugs, or eat hot dogs. I also should avoid tick bites, avoid reptiles, and now he’s listing the fish I can’t eat. What a bitch.”

“Avoid reptiles?” Erin asked. Violet shrugged. “What does he think you’re going to do? Buy a pet iguana?”

“I really don’t know. Geno thinks Matt is hilarious and encourages him. Geno’s been texting me every other day at lunch saying Let’s get sushi!. I could kill the both of them. Anyway, back to Max and your wee little problem. What are you guys doing when he gets back?”

“I’m going to his house to “chill”. What does chill mean to Max?”

“Probably watching TV and what not…hey did you know that if I don’t wear a proper bra my boobs can get saggy and swing down by my knees?” Violet looked up from her phone. Erin gave her a look. “Sorry! You know Matt’s a huge distraction for me. Anyway, wear blue jeans and the yellow tank top with the sky blue off the shoulder sweater.” Violet said without looking up from the reply she was texting to Matt. She then stood up and got a glass of milk. “Oh, and wear socks, Max doesn’t allow shoes in his house.”

“Well thanks for the fashion advice but I was going to ask you what to do about his womanizing ways- Wait, Max doesn’t allow shoes?”

“No, he doesn’t like dirt but that’s beside the point! You can’t change the man; you can only deal with him. If you want to change his ways he’s clearly not the guy for you. I hate women that try to change guys. No one is perfect, so you have to deal with imperfections. Max’s imperfection is his flirty ways. But he’s also not met someone he’s wanted to really date so we don’t know his real relationship issues are.”

“Violet-” Erin started. Violet shook her head telling Erin to not even start. “Fine, I’ll trust you, but if this doesn’t go over well I will get rid of that baby myself.” Violet’s eyes widened and her hands protectively covered her stomach.

“You’ll have to go through Geno first.”

“I told you that you wanted that baby.”

“Get out of my house! My boyfriend is coming home.” Violet through up her hands and blew a raspberry.

“When is boyfriend going to become husband?”

“Exqueeze me?”

“When are you going to marry him? You’re having a baby, Vi, are you really not going to get married?” Erin asked. Violet open and closed her mouth.

“I never thought about it.” Violet said quietly. “Should we get married?” Violet rubbed her face with one hand.

“Uh, Vi, I didn’t mean to make you get all broody. I just wanted you to stop picking on me,” Erin said nervously. “Um, just talk to Geno about it…you don’t have to be married to have a baby…” Erin rambled on. Violet held up a hand and shook her head, a small smile on her face.

“No, it’s alright Erin. I’ve thought about it a little, actually. But I haven’t made any decisions yet. I mean, he and I are only 23! Ugh, lots of thinking to do. I mean, picking a name was easy, but the rest of the stuff is hard.”

“What names?” Erin asked excitedly. Violet grinned. “Tell me, Violet!”

“Okay, for a girl: Juliet.” Violet smiled. Erin nodded.

“And for a boy?” Erin asked. Violet’s smile, if possible, got even bigger.

“Alexander.”

“Why is that funny?’ Erin asked, confused at Violet’s smile.

“Well, I guess they’re okay now but…” Violet trailed off. Erin shook her head, not getting it. “Think of the other Russians in the league.”

“OH, LIKE OVECHKIN.” Erin got it pretty quick. “Why would you do that to Geno?”

“That’s my older brother’s middle name. And I’m not naming the kid Aldous after my dad. Sorry, no. And Geno has no say in what I name the damn kid.”

“See? That’s the kind of language you’re going to have to cut out of your life once the kid is born. And why doesn’t he get any say?”

“Because it’s not his vagina that a seven pound pooping machine has to get pushed through.” Violet snorted. “And besides, if he had a say the kid would be named Vladimir Evgenovitch Malkin or something crazy Russian like that.”

“Vladimir?” Erin smiled. Violet frowned.

“It’s his dad’s name.”

“I think I’m going to tell Geno to name the kid that.”

“Get out of my house!” Violet shouted, waving her hands. Erin laughed.

“Let’s make macaroni and cheese.”

“YEAH!”