‹ Prequel: How It Should Be
Sequel: More of These Days

These Days

Three

“He bought you a car?” Erin asked her friend, goggle eyed. Violet nodded. “Can Evgeni be my boyfriend? I want a car.”

“Matt say’s that Geno’s trying to buy me happiness because I’ve been moody lately. Have I seemed moody to you? I live in a giant house with my NHL playing boyfriend and my cat. I write all day and don’t have actual work. I’ve made friends with the cleaning lady. She’s teaching me Spanish. Do I seem unhappy?”

“Violet,” Erin laughed, “I think Matt was kidding...but you have been pretty jumpy lately. You cried yesterday at lunch because they gave you too much turkey on your sandwich. But why would Geno buy you a car?”

“Because apparently he doesn’t trust me driving the Jaguar,”

“I wouldn’t trust you either.” Erin ate a few bar nuts and then took a sip of her drink. “I want a car.” She mumbled to herself. Even though the bar was loud Violet could still hear her.

“Well, maybe if you gave into Max’s advances and went on a date with him you could fall in love and then he’ll buy you a CRV like me. I feel like a suburban mom, it's hysterical. I should buy a baby seat and just drive around with it for fun to play the part." Violet looked disgustedly at her beer. “This is usually my favorite thing in the world but tonight it’s making me want to vomit.” Violet pushed it away and Erin looked at her.

“Yeah, come to think of it you do look a little green.” Erin looked at Violet’s stricken face but then around the bar and the bartender. She wouldn’t put it past the ditzy blond to have fucked around with the booze. “It could just be the light, though.” Violet shrugged and looked toward the door. Matt was supposed to be arriving with Evgeni soon.

“So, how’s the office?” Violet asked with a hint of laughter in her voice. The subject change was forced, but the matter was funny to the small girl. Erin worked at a PR firm that Violet used to be a part of as well.

“Oh god, they got this dumb gay guy to take your position, not that I mind that, but he’s just so stupid. I mean, you would think that someone who dresses like Johnny Weir would know how to diplomatically inform the captain of the Steelers he isn’t invited to the banquet, but no, Connor Bingham is just one bitchy queen without a conscience.” Erin took a sip of beer as Violet snorted with laughter.

“I’m totally picturing Jack from Will and Grace in Johnny Weir’s Russian dancer-outfit, the one with the giant furry hat and jacket? Oh my god,” In the middle of her laughter Violet burped an unhealthy sounding burp. “Ew, excuse me, I don’t know where that came from.” Violet rubbed her tummy. “I guess I’m not feeling all that well. It’s coming over me all of a sudden.”

Matt and Evgeni took that moment to walk in. Matt was talking and gesturing emphatically, Evgeni looked mildly amused. He ignored Matt’s last comment and made his way over to Violet and kissed her.

“Hi,” He said, pulling away from her. Violet smiled.

“Hi.”

“Ugh, so sweet. I want a boyfriend.” Erin grumpily looked into her bottle. “I want a car, too.”

“Date Max!” Evgeni turned around with one arm around his girlfriend. Matt ordered a Champaign cocktail.

“Are you trying to tell me you’re gay like Jack from Will and Grace?” Violet turned around to have a discussion with Matt about his girly choice of drink while Erin eyed Geno warily.

“Max is a womanizer party guy. I’m a one-man woman living in a three room apartment, I have tropical fish, and I do my laundry at three in the morning on Tuesdays to avoid lines. There is no way Max is really interested in that.”

“He like you. Think you funny.” Evgeni took Violet’s beer. “This hers?” Erin nodded, Evgeni drank. “He good, nice guy. Give chance.”

“But I like him. And if I give in to that he’ll take me out, we’ll have a great time, and then he’ll never call me back and the next time I’ll see him will be when he has that bartender hanging off his arm.” Erin gestured to the blond flirting with some guy who was dressed like he was from Wyoming or something.

“You wrong.” Evgeni shook his head. “He like you. He not sleeps and dump guy.” Erin rolled her eyes. She opened her mouth to speak when Violet bolted out of her chair with her hand covering her mouth and charged toward the bathroom. “She okay?” Evgeni half-stood to follow after her.

“She didn’t feel well.” Erin told both the boyfriend and the best friend. Matt started making his way toward the bathroom. “Don’t you think I should be the one to go into the woman’s bathroom?” Erin asked him, desperate to get away from Evgeni and his convincing her to go on a date with Maxime Talbot.

Matt hesitated but then shook his head. “I’ve done it before. Besides, unless she’s been keeping secrets from me,” Matt shot a glance at Evgeni and then back at Erin, “I’m the only person she will puke in front of.” Evgeni nodded, this was good logic. Violet was a weird girl. Erin sighed and watched Matt go in the bathroom after his best friend.

“I think you give Max chance you be surprised.” Evgeni finished Violet’s beer and held his hand up for another one. The flirty bartender came and took his order. Geno ordered a glass of ginger ale for his girlfriend. Erin sighed.

“I wish I had someone to do that for me when I wasn’t feeling good.” Evgeni gave her a look.

“Max.” He said simply. Erin shook her head. “You go out with Max. He shock you. You date. He buy you car. You get sick, he make feel better. Simple.” Evgeni shrugged. Violet came out of the bathroom at that moment and Evgeni pulled her to his lap. Violet wrapped her arm around his neck and put her head to his chest. He made her drink the soda and then informed Matt and Erin they were leaving, ushering her out. Erin sighed and Matt grinned.

“Max!” Matt said simply. Erin glared at him. Dating Max Talbot was not a good idea.
♠ ♠ ♠
Can I get more than two comments? And Erin that doesn't apply to you because you always comment and this chapter is especially for you :)