Stars Fade Blue

No Women Here

Half a year had gone by since he had last seen her. In his dreams, he still kept her face in his memory, longing to touch her soft white skin again. He felt guilty for leaving her and guilty for the way he thought she felt for him. If he were to die now, she would be left alone. Emmerich was certain that the way his heart felt was felt by her also, and he did not want to hurt her.

“Sir, there’s a letter for you,” Joseph, Emerie’s assistant, said. He looked up from the work he was supposed to be doing and saw the young man waiting in the flaps of the tent, a letter in his hand. Too nervous to speak, he stretched out his arm and waited for Joseph to place the letter in his hand.
“You may go,” Emerie told him, reaching for his letter opener and slicing through the generic white wax seal. His hands shook as he unfolded the cheap parchment and beautifully written words were revealed. He wondered why the governor’s office emblem was not used to mark the letter and why the parchment was of the least expensive variety. This was soon forgotten as he divulge in the language she had spelled out for him.


I forgive all of the offenses you have apologized for, since none of them were such. It is disappointing to know I shall not see you again for some time, but I understand that you must serve your king. I do regret not being permitted more conversation with you, for I have barely heard your voice since we’ve met.

Regarding the writing of letters, I must inform you I have left my parents and am traveling. When I settle for some time, you will be the first to know, but I do not know when that time will come. I will continue to write to you, as I do take pleasure in it.

I wish you will be safe and that the power of the king will save you from peril. Do not worry over me; I believe my journey shall be safe since I travel with a group. Take care, Emmerich, if I may be so free to call you thus.

---Farrah

In his head, he could hear her voice say his name. His heart leapt at the way it rolled off of her tongue, the way she had so easily mentioned him. He worried for her safety as she traveled, but was satisfied she would seek protection. He regretted not being able to defend her himself, but knew he did a greater good by being where he was.

The letter smelled of her, a strong scent of her light flowery perfume, as if she had held it close to her skin. Ideas that the paper had been so close to her made him gulp, wanting the war to be over so that he could feel the way her body would melt against his. Then he thought of her lips and how he would so much like to press his own against them and taste her. It was then that he realized he was dying to know more about her; he was sure he loved her, but he needed to know more, he needed to be sure it wasn’t superficial.

“Sire, the new recruits are prepared to start their training,” Joseph returns. Shaking, Emerie nods. Once his assistant has disappeared, Emmerich takes a breath of the parchment before refolding it and tucking it safely away with the rest of his papers.

Emmerich had been given the task to command all of the newest and least experienced soldiers. It was not given to him in a manner of belief that he was incapable of ordering “real” troops, but rather as a gesture of confidence that he would be the most able to teach such green soldiers the way.

Half of the base they were settled at was comprised of previously enlisted men that simply were not “strong enough” yet. The other half was slowly being filled with the bodies of newly recruited young men. Quite a few were but sixteen.

It was his job as Major General to sculpt all of these men into the masterpieces of warriors they could all be. He was a great leader, a strong and competent teacher; a talented combatant himself. Emmerich accepted nothing less than the best. If a man could not complete his drills, he would train longer and harder until he could.

On that day, he stepped upon a chair because that is all they had. One hundred fresh faces watched him in awe as he stood tall and proud and genuinely honored to be a part of their lives.

“Gentleman,” he started, addressing all of his new comrades as though they would be equals in a war-free world. “Today I am filled with sorrow that I must pull you from your families and from your lives. It is with regret that I tell you that you may very well die before you see them again. Though you are weak now, you will grow strong. We will all grow strong. In this world today, we are all brothers and we will fight together. Quarrels are unacceptable here; from now on, you settle with silence. You will sleep at night and rest for long and relentless sparring. There are no women here, for the desires of man should be overcome with the passion of survival. I accept nothing less than greatness, and appreciate the rawness of emotion and feeling. You shall never be turned away from me, for I will always to whatever you may say. We are only as able as our least, and we will work together to make sure that he does not reside among us.”

All of the men were silent as their Major General stepped down from the chair and offered them a kind and gentle smile. Some of the other men on the base had stopped to listen to their commander, admiring his way with words and the honesty that flowed through them. There would be no coup, there would be not rebellion. No one doubted him in his youth.

“Begin with an assessment,” Emmerich ordered the chief of his twenty man crew of trainers.

He would have to see where they were, and then they would be sorted and placed into divisions based on skill level and potential. In no way was separation to damper sprits, but to heighten them by giving each soldier the proper amount attention.

Emmerich was not scared that they would lose this war. He feared nothing but the thought of never seeing Farrah again.

That night, he fell asleep with her letter clutched to his chest, inhaling her scent, and never knowing that she was closer than he thought.

Image

Sorry it to so long to update. I've got a whirlwind of a life right now, and my mind's a crazy mess with all of the other stories I've started (AND SHOULDN'T HAVE). So forgive me, and perhaps go read those as well.

I have a feeling this story can't be too long since I know what I want to happen and that it shouldn't take a lot. But don't hold me to that....

Comments are always fantastic.

P.S. This story is featured on PROJECT FICTION! =]