Stars Fade Blue

They Don't Love Her

"Cosette?" Emerie breathed. His heart raced as he looked over her. "Let her go!" he shouted at Joseph, shooing the man away from his sister.

He reached out and pulled her against him, wrapping an arm around her shoulder as he brought her inside the tent. She breathed heavily, obviously alarmed by what had just happened to her. Her older brother instructed her to sit in his chair as he knelt before her.

"Why are you here?" he asked worriedly. The first thing that came to his mind was that the Triranians had somehow gotten into the country and killed his family. Cosette saw this, but was momentarily distracted by the looming presence of Gareth standing by the flap. Jorgen had left, but Gareth would not leave unless asked.

"I couldn't bear to be there any longer," she groaned in the most ladylike fashion she could. Her body shook visibly from the cold nights she had spent alone, and the lack of food she had consumed on her journey. It was, in fact, and utter miracle she had even survived to make it so far.

"What? Why?" Emmerich fretted, bouncing on his knees to grasp her trembling hands in his. Immediately he noticed the dullness her golden eyes had developed. She was defeated and weak and miserable, and it nearly shattered his heart to see his vibrant and beautiful sister so broken.

"They act as best they can, Emerie, but I can hear them crying and arguing. We're all worried for you, and the country…" she paused before leaning forward, wary of Gareth, only to whisper, "And mother is a wreck over Farrah."

Stunned, Emmerich's eyes widened.

She knows something I do not, he thought.

"She ran off," Cosette explained. "Mother had written to her father, requesting that she come and spend the wait with us, but he responded that she had just disappeared. We were, of course, surprised that he even told us the truth… A few days later her brother, Braden, came to call on us and told us everything. He's scared for her, Emerie," she shared. Her brother gulped.

"What has he told you?" the man choked out, nervous. If he had not been troubled before, he was then. Now that he was sure Cosette was safe and could be protected, he feared for Farrah wandering about on her own. He already knew she had left, but what secrets could there be?

"They don't love her," she breathed, like the words were meant for a buried man. Sorrow consumed her in that moment. The idea of never being loved frightened her beyond doubt, and Emmerich couldn't comprehend the words.

"They don't love her?" he repeated, like the language was foreign. Cosette nodded gravely.

"She means nothing to them, Emmerich. They dress her nicely and take her places to maintain their façade. The governor is worried that her departure will reflect badly upon his family, and that no one will have her. She doesn't know what it's like, brother, to feel wanted. Even Braden admitted he wasn't as close to her as he ought to be, and the poor man wept for fear of his distance killing her," she sighed. "How could they not love her?"

"I don't believe I could answer that," he admitted. Things were making more sense to him. He knew that the Piccolets were very political and tactical, but he had had no idea that they could be so cold.

"You have to find her, Emerie. You must bring her here and keep her safe. She could keep me company," Cosette begged.

Emmerich stood up and leaned over his sister, wrapping his arms around her shoulders and resting his chin on her head. She smelled of the wilderness.

"She has written me, Cosette. I know that she is safe. I instructed her to travel east, not west. I should not expect to have to retrieve her, and will be deeply saddened if I must. You should not have come either, it isn't safe here," he chastised in a brotherly way. She slumped in his grasp and exhaled into his shirt.

He backed away and held her arms. They watched each other, expressionless.

"I will speak with the inn keeper in town and secure you a room there. There are no women on this base, Cosette; I'll find some proper guards since I'm too busy to care for you myself."

"But---"

"No," he cut her off sternly. "The town is full of strangers unaccustomed to nobility and proper treatment of ladies. My men are starved from their indulgences as well, though often they stumble in from the pub. It would be careless to not put you under supervision. It's for your own good, sister," he explained.

Though she had been educated, Cosette did not do well to see the evil in others. She was convinced that all people were as kindhearted and gentle as her family, and was often disappointed and scared when she found they were not. The allusion that the soldiers were kept from the temptation of flesh was not understood. Being as innocent as she was, she had barely made it through the private lesson on intercourse without fainting.

Furthermore, Emmerich wished to blind her of the vision of the town's working women. He would be sure to do what her could to protect her from such disgraceful actions and exchanges as best as he was able. Cosette didn't even know those types of people existed; she had not a clue that either a man so hungry or a woman so loose would breathe her air. She was blissfully unaware.

"Sir," Gareth spoke up from the corner. Both siblings looked over to him. "It would be an honor if I could be permitted the duty of minding Miss Yves-Leventhorpe."

Emmerich was dumbfounded that the usually cool Gareth had spoken so boldly. He was grateful, for he had planned to ask him to do so anyhow, but he was still surprised by the man's interest. His sister examined the tall Triranian man, perplexed that he was so close to her brother. In her heart, she knew that she found him attractive and that she enjoyed the way his chocolate colored hair was wavy and shined in the candlelight. She was also not embarrassed that she knew he had studied her as she had him. In fact, she was pleased.

"I had intended to ask that you would," Emmerich confessed. Gareth smiled to himself, hiding from all. Standing up, Emerie glanced between the two people in the tent with him. "Gareth, this is my sister, Cosette. Cosette, this is Gareth," he introduced. The aforementioned shared a bow of their heads.

"Would you like me to visit the inn to reserve a room?" Gareth asked. Emmerich nodded, sending the man off to town and therefore dismissing him from his duties for the day.

"Who is he?" Cosette whispered curiously as Gareth left. She knew his name, but she referred to his heritage and position in her query.

"Gareth was raised by our academy, his whole village burnt by his own people," Emmerich told her carefully. Not many people really knew Gareth. Most refused to speak or look at him, immediately recognizing his ancestry. The man was cautious of relationships and events where pointless chatter would have to consume his time. He was secretive, and Emmerich did his best to respect that.

"So he is one of them?" she gulped. Gravely, her brother nodded.

"Thought their hot blood runs through his veins, Cosette, Gareth is neither evil nor traitorous. I am confident in his loyalty and ability to protect you while I cannot."

"But… How…" she struggled to understand the concept of a Triranian being anything but malevolent.

"Not all of them are as wicked as the rest. Gareth was raised here and even the promise of being reunited with his family wouldn't sway him to their side. He despises them with as much malice as the rest, enraged by any thought of what they've done to him. I trust him; I don't think that even I could serve you better than he," Emerie admitted to his sister. His attempts to comfort her were fact, not a lie spoken.

To be held in high regards by Emmerich was like being a king. So it was by this opinion of Gareth that Cosette decided to perhaps put aside the evil of his people and see him for who he truly was. For the two of them, this was a crucial decision. However, over time, they would realize that it was for the best for everyone.

Image

Teehee. You thought it was Farrah.

Comments would be nice. =]