Stars Fade Blue

Cosette Would Know

After Gareth had escorted Cosette to the inn, Emmerich had promptly sat at his desk and written out a letter to their parents. He wasn’t sure whether to expect one from them, thinking that perhaps they would have wished to hide the worry from him.

With a week passed, he had not yet gone to visit his sister. There was too much to be preoccupied by and he was positive that she was in good care. The new recruits were coming along slowly but surely, all of them determined to defend their country because that was just how fiercely Triranians were detested. In fact, the break for Gareth had been a blessing, considering the delicate fact that many men resented him.

Emmerich stepped around the grounds, Jorgen by his side. Both of them were dressed down in training attire---despite the fact that Jorgen had hardly ever been in training---to signify their appreciation and dedication. They watched the recruits, carefully noting the ones that might need more training time in the future. It was not a task Emmerich enjoyed, and he certainly did not want to do it at that time. His mind was elsewhere.

For all that time, he fretted over Farrah. He agonized over where she had gone, if she was alright, if anyone else even cared. The fact that her parents didn’t love her was a shock to him; he couldn’t believe that people were actually that cruel. Farrah was a wonderful person, he was sure of it; how could someone not love her?

“…Sir?” Jorgen’s voice finally broke through to Emmerich.

“Pardon me?” he stated, shaking himself out of his daze.

“Emerie, have you heard a word of what I’ve said at all today?”

Jorgen watched Emmerich, his eyes set on the expressionless face of distraction. In fact, Emerie hadn’t heard a word, and even in that moment he was preoccupied by thoughts of nearly everything but his duties as Major General.

From behind a row of the tents, a tall figure took deliberate steps toward the pair of superiors. He could see the frustration in Jorgen’s eyes and the lack of attentiveness in Emmerich’s stance. Worry erupted inside of him as he glanced at the training troops that stumbled over their own feet. Once he was close enough, he caught a glimpse of Jorgen’s fear and resolved to attempt repairs on whatever seemed to be broken.

His heavy thoughts had numbed his senses so much that Emmerich did not even notice the shift in Jorgen’s stature, or the fierce presence that gradually grew nearer to his back. The strategist knitted his brows and frowned at his approaching comrade. Gareth responded with an equally concerned expression. Silently they exchanged a facial dialogue in which Jorgen explained that their friend had been suffering from this distraction for quite some time.

“It’s a good thing I came, then,” Gareth stated curtly, raising no response from Emerie. This concerned him further.

“Very good,” Jorgen sighed in agreement. “Something needs to be done.”

“Sire,” Gareth addressed the young commander, ferociousness coated beneath his words.

“What? Jorgen?” Emmerich sputtered quickly. “Oh! Gareth! When did-- How’s Cosette?”

He was incoherent, jumpy, and lost in his head. He could mean the end of the entire country if he wasn’t aided soon.

“She wishes to see you, that’s why I’ve come, and now I believe it would be best to rest for the day. Perhaps she could assist you with your troubles. It will do you both good; she has, after all, been cooped up in her room for so long with only myself as a companion. And you know how very conversational I am,” the foreigner said with a smile---a rare occurrence which, had Emmerich been attentive enough, would have clued the Major General in on the budding relationship.

“I couldn’t possibly leave…” Emmerich breathed, almost horrified.

“Oh yes you could, and you will. I’m perfectly capable of keeping everything together for the rest of the day,” Jorgen insisted.

Emmerich was feeling targeted, as if his friends were plotting against him, conspiring to throw him off in some---non-threatening---way. He glanced between the two of them and then thought of his sister. Cosette would enjoy his company, he knew, and he hers, and when he thought further he realized that she might know what he should do regarding his situation with love.

She would know; Cosette would know.

“I suppose,” he conceded.

So it was decided that he would return to the inn with Gareth for the rest of the day. It was for this reason that he had suddenly become interested in a day like he had never been before.

Cosette would know…

Image

I am so sorry that it's been so long. And that this is so short and awkward and isn't that good. =[

Hopefully it won't be so long next time. Or so bad... Feedback is awesome, and I won't lie, getting ten stars would be epic. =]