Stars Fade Blue

Not a Child

Emmerich entered his sister’s room alone. He found it a bit small and unattractive, and realized that his dear sister was more than likely incredibly homesick. It was probable---he figured---that she was made to think of everything she did not have with her every time she blinked and opened her eyes to the inn’s accommodations.

There was a nice view of the pastures out back through a great window. The bed was exceptionally large, though not nearly as large and comforting as the one she had back home, he was sure. An empty chest of drawers was on the wall to the far left of the window, a worn wooden seat closer, and a cushioned high-back chair to the right, where Cosette sat and stared out at the few horses grazing on the grass. When he got closer, Emmerich could see that she seemed distraught and immediately folded himself into the hard seat to have a good look at her.

“What is it you need of me?” he asked.

She peered at him through her wild hair, golden eyes dull and fading. Her once glowing skin was pallid and thin. Long fingers wrapped around the rests of the chair as she gazed at him, longing and desperation evident in her absent smile.

“Emmerich…” she whispered, bashfully turning away from her. “It’s been a week. I’m not accustomed to this wretched type of confinement,” she told him, tears forming. With a brief glitter in her eyes she told him, “Gareth has been wonderful company.”

In his heart, Emmerich knew that Cosette was a special form of women. Caging her from the world would surely suffocate her in time, but, as he had written their parents, he would let no harm come to her. Although Gareth was capable of protecting her, Emerie felt fully responsible. If anything were to happen, he could not forgive himself. Furthermore, he was distracted, which would only make judgment worse and also prevented him from seeing the truth of Gareth’s dedication to Cosette.

“I cannot allow you from here,” he stated firmly, brow serious and jaw clenched.

“Emerie, why?” she pleaded. “This miserable room killing me, can’t you see?” she began to sob. “To simply take tea on the porch would be sufficient. I will surely be smothered!”

Her bony hands frantically wiped her eyes. With every shallow breath, her chest heaved and her bones protruded. The beautiful dress she wore seemed to swallow her as she sat and cried before her brother.

“I will not let anything happen to you,” he asserted. “Father would be furious, mother devastated. What should I tell them if you’ve been---hurt. Or killed? What should I say, Cosette? What should I say!?” he shouted, rising to his feet, towering over her.

Cosette cowered for a moment before swallowing and meeting his furious gaze. With equal intensity, she glared back at him and lifted herself out of her seat. Their chests nearly met; noses hairs away.

“I am not a child,” she murmured, examining the agony in his face. “Do not mistake your concern for Farrah as concern for me. Gareth can protect me---he will, at any cost.” She breathed, then pleaded, “Please, Emmerich…”

Though he had wanted nothing but to keep her safe, Emmerich began to wonder if sheltering her from fresh air was what was best. He had never seen her so broken and she looked more ill than when she had first arrived. Guilt began to eat away at his gut.

“Allow me to speak with Gareth,” he said softly, avoiding eye contact. He bowed his head and carefully stepped out of the room.

Gareth stood by the door, brooding with a tray of trembling tea ware. His knuckles were white and jaw set tight as he met his Major General. The latter was surprised to see him there and further surprised by his state of being.

“Oh, Gareth---”

“Major General,” Gareth interrupted curtly. He waited impatiently for a response.

“I’ve just spoken with my sister and decided that…perhaps taking tea on the porch may do her some good,” Emmerich conceded gently. “She appears sickly and I cannot help but feel it is my own doing. While I commend you for following my orders, I give you permission to deviate from them in the future if the health of beloved sister she ever seem to be at risk.”

Ashamed, Emerie refused to make eye contact with Gareth. He was too preoccupied to notice the change in the dark man’s demeanor and the small smile that made its way to his face. His thoughts reverted immediately to what Cosette had said about Farrah and, therefore, completely to Farrah and where she might be. Desperately he wished to write to her and order her to come to him, but he could not contact her and inviting her to the most dangerous place to be would be reckless.

“I understand,” Gareth said. “Also, I believe you had the best intentions, sir, in what you ordered. To feel terribly would be harmful and only hurt you. Forgive yourself as I’m sure C--Miss Yves-Leventhorpe will. You mean the world to her.”

The two men finally looked at one another. It was a genuine, delicate moment. Emmerich saw himself in Gareth’s eyes. Though they had been friends, that gaze brought them closer, made them brothers in more ways than one. Realization finally dawned on Emmerich as he realized what his sister meant to Gareth and what Gareth meant to Cosette.

Cosette had not solved Emmerich’s problems, but he was satisfied in knowing he had resolved hers and possibly changed her life forever. What everyone else thought of a match between a Lady and a Triranian was irrelevant. He could see the truth and he was certain their parents would as well.

He left Gareth to share the news with Cosette, it felt like the right thing to do. As he descended the stairs and made his way to the door through the lobby, the innkeeper spotted him and waved him over.

“Major General,” she called, “I have a letter for you.”

Confused, Emerie made his way to her and waited for further explanation.

“I had planned on having it carried over this evening, but since you’re here, you might as well have it now.”

She proceeded to hand him a messy, beaten envelope. It was covered in stains of mud and grass, but the script on it was clearly visible. Her gentle hand had written his name so finely, but the seal was cracked and smeared. However, it was beside the point as he ravenously tore the envelope apart and divulged himself in her letter before he could even find a seat.

Image

So, so, so, so eternally sorry about the ridiculous wait. I just haven't been inspired, but I realized that I have to get through this for everyone's sake. Thank you for being patient and please, please, please comment.

Again, thank you. I love you. =]