Stars Fade Blue

If She Loved Him

A week went by. Emmerich frequently found himself flustered and feeling awkward simply because the thoughts of his might-be future crossed his mind. His mother and father were overjoyed at the prospect of a marriage taking place in their family. All of his siblings but Cosette and Eleonore were completely unaware of what had transpired over the past seven days.

Eleonore's celebratory ball was scheduled to take place the following week, a quickly thrown together but exceedingly elegant party. The young girl was excited, although thoughts of being in Miss Piccolet's position made her uncomfortable. Her brother was going to marry a girl her own age, someone she had been through school with and knew as a very quiet and strange type of person. She had no objections, but was still uneasy at the idea of marrying someone her brother's age. To her, he seemed much older.

Early that morning the Countess had risen and awakened her three eldest daughters. She, Cosette, Eleonore, and Hannaliese traveled before the first light of day to visit a tailor for their dresses. They would return rather quickly, realizing that it was not at all difficult to plan exactly what each of them wanted to wear.

The Earl sat in the parlor, in his favorite chair, accompanied by Emmerich and Gunther. All three of them were occupied with books whilst the Earl's youngest son, Kiefer, spent his morning practicing piano and his youngest daughters, Rosamund and Solveig, played with dolls in their playroom.

Doing his duty, Edwin knocked on the open door of the parlor and then came in. Once the three men present acknowledged his presence, he bowed his head in respect and offered the letter on his silver platter to Emmerich. Completing his ritual, Edwin bowed in adieu and left the room.

Both the Earl and Gunther watched attentively as Emmerich read the name of the sender and proceeded to open his letter. There was no twinkle in his eye as he read---not that either his father or brother noticed---because his note was not from anyone within the Piccolet household. In fact, the correspondence was sent by the general.

"Well?" the Earl prodded suggestively, hoping that someone from Lenore had invited him to dinner or something. Emerie cleared his throat and dully glanced at his father.

"It's from General Hawtrey. He would like me to join him tomorrow on a hunt. We haven't any new militia and are not in demand on base so he would like to spend time together. Apparently he's asked Governor Piccolet to join us as well," he shared.

"That's fantastic!" the Earl exclaimed, tossing his book aside and rising to his feet. He smiled at his son and chuckled softly.

Young Gunther watched his father and brother exchange brief and seemingly meaningless words. He was baffled by their topic of conversation and why his father was excited by his brother spending time with a governor he had apparently had rather negative feelings about. Of course, being only fifteen, Gunther didn't understand things like marriage or love well. He knew of them and about them, but it was probable that he would never know what they truly were until he experienced them.

"You have to go, I demand that you go," the Earl command sternly.

In Emmerich's head, the sound of his father's voice slowly began to become a muting hum. No longer could he hear anything but the sound of his own heart beating regularly in his ears. His mouth became dry and he did not blink, blankly staring at a line in the wooden paneled wall across from him. All that he could think of was fear. Fear that Governor Piccolet would dislike him and forbid him from seeing his daughter. Fear that he would make a fool of himself. Fear that perhaps this was an invitation of pity to gently inform him he was being replaced and losing his job.

Worry consumed him. All he had ever wanted was within his grasp; he could taste the prospect of being General one day. He had worked so hard to get where he was and he had been happy up until the moment he saw her. Although he didn't know her very well, and had only rambled meaningless words to her, he felt so deeply about her that it radiated to everyone. So he wondered and worried about whether or not he was ready and prepared to change his plans and life so quickly.

And then of course, he begged to know if she loved him. If not, he would be surprised and understanding, but dissatisfied and depressed. If so, he would be thrilled and excited, but curious as to why.

"Well, my boy, it seems I can always count on you," General Hawtrey concluded, blowing out smoke from his half-finished cigar. A gangly young man struggled to keep up with the group of men as he carried both the general and governor's rifles, as well as a collection of small, but essential, bags.

"I must agree," the governor concurred, nodding in approval.

Emmerich kept his pace steady---and somewhat slow---as he walked between the two most important men in his life at that time. He rested his own rifle against his shoulder and carted his own bags. This was not a courtesy he paid to the poor servant-boy, but a task he found himself able to complete and wished it so. Nonetheless, the servant was grateful for his decision but did not thank him because that would be inappropriate.

The three men strode on a travel-worn path through the general's back woods. They were returning from a morning of hunting foul, an event that proved Emerie's skill and embarrassed the others. Together they had been occupied with the chase, accompanied by the weak servant-boy and an elderly man who had left them some time before to bring back the few kills Emmerich had had.

"Are you spending the night here, then, Lord Yves-Leventhorpe?" Governor Piccolet asked easily, a strangely light air added to his normal drawling and cold tone.

At the sound of his name---an unattractive mouthful---Emerie cringed. He shook his head, not to invalidate the governor's question, but for his own thoughts. Glancing over at the less-than-present man, he cleared his throat.

"Please, sir, do call me Emmerich, or Yves, anything but that. It's far too much for a person to choke out…" he requested kindly. The governor shrugged in acceptance and waited for his answer. "I do, in fact, intend on spending the night and leaving some time in the morning," Emerie finally replied.

"Excellent," said the governor, smiling delightedly. It was his plan to invite Emmerich to breakfast, such was his purpose for accepting the general's offer for that day. Governor Piccolet was the type of man that didn't do anything unless it benefited him in some way. Hunting with Major General the Viscount Yves-Leventhorpe of Ewaldwine was advantageous to him in that the former was interested in his daughter and their marriage would prove most profitable to him and his wife.

"Excellent indeed," the general muttered, plucking his cigar from his mouth and taking a breath of fresher air. "The accommodations of my manor are quite comfortable, if I may say so. The rather quaint nature of this precious town does help, though," he laughed before sticking his cigar between his dry lips once more.

"Well, I was actually curious as to what your breakfast plans for the morning were, Emmerich," Governor Piccolet inquired carefully, attempting to make himself more friendly by using Emerie's name per request.

After thinking a moment, and looking to the lost general for guidance, Emmerich replied, "I don't particularly suppose I have any."

The opportunity had arisen, then, for the governor to interject into the young man's life. He planned to throw his daughter at him in every way, only caring that in the end he would be wealthy and infamous by relation. Deviously, he grinned to himself and crossed his arms behind his back.

"Then I would love to have you. Braden has shared much about your accomplishments at Olingworth-Dogmersfield and my wife and have been curious of your other interests. Would you be interested?"

At a loss, for Emerie had certainly not expected to be so bluntly invited to spend time with the Piccolets, the young man nodded casually so as not to seem too interested.

"I would be delighted."

And so it was then decided that Emmerich would enjoy the company of the Piccolet family for breakfast. He was excited to meet Farrah outside of a formal setting and was thrilled at the idea of understanding her better.

It was that breakfast that would seal their fates, seal them well.

Image

I think I'm going to do five chapters of Emerie and then five chapters of Farrah. It's not set in stone as of right now, but I definitely need to switch character POVs so that the whole story gets put out there. =]

Comments are wonderful.