Stars Fade Blue

Valuable Marriage

Farrah sat stiffly, her back straight and eyes forward, looking through the empty space before her. She could sense her father's anxiousness and her mother's pent up hostility that would surely erupt if Farrah was to make just one wrong move.

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw her sister Sydney holding back uncomfortable tears and emotions that---even if she were to let out---would not be chastised in any way. It was also evident that everyone else seemed to be aware of who the guest was simply by their nonchalance about the entire affair. Certainly none of them were ill-dressed or behaved, but none seemed quite as concerned as Farrah.

Despite being informed of the guest, no one was speaking. They had no gossip of him and any other topic might have caused unstable Sydney to burst into tears at any moment. In reality, they were all silently preparing themselves for any conversation topic or any discussion that the blissfully ignorant visitor might bring up. He would be unaware of the Piccolet family's latest tragedy and would not be so careful as to what he spoke of. Because of this, they were all harnessing their emotions and tears in anticipation.

There was some rustling and knocking within the house that startled everyone for a brief second. The guest had arrived and was speaking with a maid about taking his hat and accommodating his driver. Only after that did the sound of unintentionally heavy footfalls ensue.

The governor stood and watched his guest approach. Farrah could sense them shaking hands just out of her line of vision before her father pulled the man around the table by his seat. She didn't risk looking up at him yet, and only listened as her father introduced him. All eyes but hers were on the young man.

"I know he would rather I did not be so formal, but I must," the governor started. In her head, Farrah wanted to laugh at how it was so obvious her father was attempting to seem as though he were friends with his guest when clearly he was not. "Everyone, this is Major General the Viscount Emmerich Vida Rex Yves-Leventhorpe of Ewaldwine."

Farrah remembered his name. She remembered meeting him at her party. She remembered how he was the most fascinating and handsome man she had ever met. He had been on her mind for a few days afterward, but was quickly forgotten. Her happiness was not of concern, and certainly he would not be interested in her. Or so she thought.

It was all making sense, then. Having the viscount here was not to please her or Braden---since they had been schoolmates---but to potentially attract his attention to her to spawn an unbelievably valuable marriage. By her marriage to him, her father would have more connections and wealth by relation. By marrying Farrah to the viscount, the governor would not only be a powerful man locally, but would become one of the most powerful men in the country. His daughter being the wife of the Major General, a wealthy viscount by birth, would open more doors than he could imagine. Of course he would have invited the poor man to breakfast.

"Please, call me Emmerich," the young man begged kindly.

"Yes, well, you remember Camellia," her father said, beginning the lengthy process of acquainting the viscount with his family. "There's Luther and his wife Mallory, Winter and his wife Ella, Halvor and my daughter Sydney, Ormond, then you know Braden of course," he shared, gesturing to each person as mentioned, and before reintroducing the young man to his daughter, he allowed him to begin sitting. "And this, as I'm sure you remember, is Farrah."

By the time her name was mentioned, Emmerich had seated himself in his chair and was gazing right at her. His eyes were a bizarre shade of bluish green that almost seemed grey. It was hard to tell, she noticed. Like last time, she found nothing wrong in his features and admired the way his dark hair was so appropriately casual and disheveled for any occasion.

"How could I forget?" he responded softly, gulping soon afterward and inwardly regretting being so obvious of his affections.

Since Farrah would be scolded for looking away, she continued to watch him, feeling terrible for making him squirm uncomfortably from being stared at. Eventually, though, Emmerich cleared his throat and looked away toward Camellia.

"Thank you for hosing me on such short notice," he expressed. It may have just been something for him to say, but that did not make it any less true. He was eternally grateful for being invited to be with the Piccolets. Admittedly, his only true motive was Miss Piccolet.

"It's our pleasure, Viscount," she replied. Farrah noticed how he cringed at the title, but admired him for keeping a smile and nodding.

Camellia Piccolet would not have, under any circumstances, referred to Emmerich by anything other than a title that flaunted his high position and wealth. Even if he and her daughter had already been wed, she would have continued to call him by anything but a casual name. It was to remind herself of why she would marry her daughter to someone so much better than the latter. It was to remind her other daughter as to why they had even considered matching Farrah with a man that was not a hermit or absurdly unattractive. It was to remind them all that even wealth and titles were more important to the governor and his wife than their youngest daughter.

"So Braden, what have you been up to since school?" Emmerich asked, genuinely curious and friendly. He was willing to break the tension and unease that hung over them all because it was getting to him.

"I've continued with a further education in the law," Braden answered, excited to speak of his choice. Everyone at the table smiled at the mention of his path, also thrilled to have such an important person be a part of their family. Braden may have been Farrah's closest sibling, but he was also a part of everyone else's circle. They might not have accepted her, but they were certainly fond of him.

"Do you like it, then? I mean, you must if you've chosen it and all…" Emmerich sputtered, his nerves getting the best of him. Farrah was affecting his behavior, his heart was racing.

"Yes, I like it a lot," Braden laughed. Then everyone shared a chuckle. Even Farrah managed to fake one brief chuckle before returning to a pleasantly deadpan state of being.

Casual conversation and laughter lasted through the meal, and after the table was cleared, there was more. Farrah was silent, and Emmerich didn't dare address her for fear of coming off too eager or obvious. But he knew he needed this chance.

As if he knew what Emmerich was thinking, Braden took a moment to devise a plan. He would have to depend on his parents or siblings to help him, but he was sure it would work. Without seeming too deliberate with his reasoning, Braden leaned over to his sister and whispered in her ear.

"Would you like to go for a walk around the garden?" he asked. Whether she said yes or no was of no meaning to him. Of course, when he had sat back up straight, she nodded slightly. He smiled and rose to his feet, making sure to catch the attention of his former schoolmate. "Farrah and I are going to walk the gardens, would you like to see them?"

Shocked, Farrah forced her lips to turn upwards as if she would be happy for him to join. Emmerich was startled by the offer, but nodded in agreement nevertheless.

"That sounds delightful," he said, and stood up from his seat, making sure to properly excuse himself.

The three of them left the shelter of the canopy, Braden and Farrah linked by the arms, and Emmerich on his friend's other side. They strolled into the impressive gardens, joined by butterflies and birds. For a mere governor, his manor was fit for someone much more important. Sweet scents of the flowers floated in the air as they seemed to get farther and farther from the house, but before they got too far, they were being called for something.

"Braden!"

All three looked back to see Camellia waving her arm in the air to get their attention. Everyone else they had left behind was seated more informally about the patio. The table and chairs were removed and replaced with loungers and a light sofa.

Coming up not too far behind the small party was Ormond. He wore a rather serious expression and, when he reached them, made sure to address Emmerich first before speaking to his brother.

"Father would like to start a hand and wishes you'll join," he stated plainly. After Braden acted as if her were concerned about ending the viscount's tour and leaving his sister with him, Ormond offered a smile. "He's also assured me that it is alright for Farrah to accompany Lord Yves-Leventhorpe around the rest of the garden. He's quite sorry for intruding on your excursion."

"Oh," was all the aforementioned could manage to say.

Farrah was speechless as Braden released her arm and stepped over to what seemed like the other side to be with Ormond. He smiled brightly at both his friend and sister and offered a silent adieu before leaving with his older brother. To add to the illusion that he was terribly sorry for leaving them, he looked back over his shoulder to see them both nearly gaping at him and called, "Don't forget to take him to see the roses."

Image

*Gasp* How scandalous they are! =]

I love this story... By the way, when I said chapter nine, I meant my chapter nine, so Mibba will call it ten. Sorry if that's confusing. =\

COMMENTS!?