Hope Has Come in Dreams, but This Time It's Real

It’s just the gods bowling.

The pitter patter of little feet could he heard scurrying down the hall, towards our bedroom. The door creaked open slightly, and the tiny footsteps quickly made there way to the foot of the bed. Suddenly, a small body jumped on the bed, and snuggled up between Rick and I.

“What in the name of-“ Rick began groggily, only to be cut off by a large clap of thunder, and a small frightened squeak from the boy between us.

Two small arms wrapped themselves around me. I could feel him shaking with fear. I pulled him closer to me, and ran my fingers through his long curly brown hair.

“Calm down honey,” I said soothingly, “you’re safe.”

“Ty, what’s wrong?” Rick asked quietly, rubbing a hand softly down his young sons back.

“There was a really loud noise,” Tyler said in a quiet panicked tone, “it woke me up… I’m really scared.”

I couldn’t help but smile at him. He was such a sweet boy. Very creative, smart, and sensitive. He was also the spitting image of his father; curly brown hair, and blue eyes that would make any woman melt.

“You’re gonna tell me that a big strong boy like you is afraid of a little thunder and lightning?” I asked, faking surprise.

I felt him nod his head, yes. As a flash of lightning lit up the room.

“Well, if you’re scared of that, who’s gonna keep me safe?”

“Daddy,” he was quick to answer.

Rick chuckled tiredly, “there’s nothing to he afraid of, little mate. Trust me.”

“Yeah,” I released him from my hug, “everyone knows it’s just the gods bowling.”

There was a pause before Ty’s soft voice asked, “really?”

“Of course! Would I lie to you?” I gave him a small kiss on his forehead, “now, are you ready to go back to bed?”

There was another short pause, “yes.”

“Alright, can I have a goodnight kiss?” I asked. I felt his small lips press against my cheek, “goodnight sweet heart.”

“Night night Clare,” his small voice chimed as he crawled over his father to get off the bed, causing Rick to make a small noise of discomfort.

Rick got up and walked Tyler back to his room. I didn’t know how I’d gotten so lucky. I’d found the man of my dreams, and he had two of the most wonderful children. Which was a blessing, as I couldn’t have any children of my own.

When I was twenty-six doctors found tumours on my ovaries. And I had to have everything removed. For years after I felt so empty, almost like I wasn’t a woman anymore. I stopped dating because I didn’t think any man would want me. I was damaged goods; I couldn’t give them children. I was worthless.

But one night my sister drug me out to a bar with her, to be her ‘wing woman’ or some nonsense. And there he was. Sitting with a taller broad fellow, who had quite the mouth on him, and I would come to know him as Joe.

He was quite possibly the most gorgeous man I had ever set eyes on. Long curly brown hair framed his handsome face. And his eyes, god! Those sad dark blue eyes. He looked just about as miserable as I felt.

After my sister ditched me for her new young conquest of the night, I made my way over to the two men. I’d never been shy, and all throughout my childhood my mother would strike up conversations with strangers, which lead me to do the same. So it was easy for me to strike up a conversation. The bigger handsome one was very easy to talk to. He was quite funny and charming. Sadly taken though, not that I was really interested. But his pretty friend was another story. He just ordered drink after drink.

Eventually he got drunk enough to loosen up and talk. Was quickly made friends. Though he was probably too drunk to know what was going on. His bigger friend quietly explained that his wife had just left him out of the blue, and was leaving their two boys in his care. Which made the situation even harder due to his job. I never found out what it was Rick did for a living until later. But it never really made a difference. I was completely smitten with him, and the fact that he already had children made me hopeful that my condition would scare him away. I managed to get his number, and made sure to call him the next day. And the rest, as they say, is history.

“Crisis averted,” Rick’s smooth voice drifted through my ears, as he crawled back into bed.

“Good,” I sighed as I cuddled into his arms.

“So,” he began quietly, “it’s the gods bowling eh, luv?”

I closed my eyes and mumbled, “Shut up.”

“Oh, no. I thought it was clever,” he chuckled as he softly kissed my forehead, “Ty seems to like the idea too.”

“Good,” I smiled happily.

“I don’t know what I’d do without you, luv.” He mumbled into my hair, as he pulled me tightly against his warm body.

“I was just thinking the same thing,” I sighed; all I could feel was pure bliss around this man. Even when we argued, it was strange really.

I felt his callused hands slide softly up my sides under my baggy t-shirt, as his soft lips attached themselves lovingly to mine. My stomach was instantly in knots; it was amazing how this man could still make me feel like a little girl getting her first kiss from a cute boy. It was just pure bliss.

If there really was a heaven out there. I knew for me it was laying in his mans arms.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thoughts, quarrels, concerns?