Sequel: Baby Doll

Pleasant Trees

Chapter Two

On April 9, 1958, a woman was married to the town heartthrob, Phillip King.

It was the wedding to end all weddings. On behalf of Phillip's father, who was the town's one and only banker and friend to all, every single citizen of the incredibly small town was invited. Exactly one hundred and forty eight people, including small children and babies, were sitting patiently inside the small church. They all murmured silently to each other in excitement and happiness. At the front of the church, a smiling pastor stood ready with his Holy Book in hand. The music started off softly and gradually made its way into getting louder. When the music reached to the ears of all the citizens, they slowly turned in their seats to view the party. Five beautiful girls and five handsome boys walked in together with their arms intertwined, one pair after another. The women gave dazzling smiles to all the citizens while the men on their arms smiled nervously as they carefully counted their steps. But it was only when the music grew louder and all the bridesmaids and groomsmen were at the front of the aisle that the citizens truly grinned and cooed with awe.

It was her dress. It was made of lace and tulle and it shimmered in the light. Her stand-up collar was trimmed with lace and the way it reflected in the sun made it seem like she was glowing like an angel. The skirt of her dress pulled out like a ballerina, which made every step she took seem extremely graceful. Her bodice was trimmed with lace and the overall look of the dress made her look like a doll. If one fully paid attention to her, they would see her unconsciously smooth of the side of her dress before once again gripping the bouquet of daffodils in her hands. She grinned and blushed at the sounds of the people gasping in awe. It was common knowledge that Margaret Marie Jones was a heartbreaker but it was made even more known with her dazzling dress.

Everyone knew that when Phillip Prince set his sights on Margaret Jones that something special was about to happen. Both were relatively well known due to the fact that they always had a kind word to say alongside a smile. It was when they met that their smiles grew wider and their words were kinder.

And it was when Margaret locked eyes with Phillip, who was standing at the front of the aisle anxiously, that everyone knew that this would be the couple to look up to.

Image

"Quiet, everyone. If you please would quit down," a voice called out as there was the tinkling of glass echoing throughout the room.

Everyone in the dining hall hushed and turned in their seats to see a blond woman in a light blue dress that highlighted her blue eyes. She smiled politely at the crowd before setting down her fork and champagne glass.

"The best man would like to say a few words," she said before sitting down as another man stood up.

"Thanks, Sarah," he grinned. "Hey, everyone. As you all know, I'm Henry. Also known as that darn kid that is a bad influence on the great Phillip Prince. And while I have got to agree with that, I also have something to say that isn't relatively well known: Phillip Prince also is an influence on me. Before I met Phil, I was a messed up kid. And over the years I've known him, he's been influencing me to become a better person and be happy and love life. You know, I didn't even know it was remotely possible for a guy like Phil to be happier. And then Margaret walked in to his life. And you guys would not believe how much he talked about her after, it was ridiculous. Phil is a good guy and Margaret is a great lady. God Himself could not have made a more perfect match. Good luck, you two," he finished before raising his champagne glass to the couple.

Everyone clapped politely before taking a sip of their drinks. Phil leaned over to kiss his bride on the cheek before standing up.

"I've got something to say, as well. It's something that I think deserves to be said. Besides, we all know how I like attention," he smiled as everyone in the crowd laughed.

"Where to start? Perhaps the best way to start is by saying, Margaret, ever since the first time I saw you, I knew all I would ever want in life would be you. It was a Sunday and you had a daisy in your hair and you accidentally bumped into me. And the second I saw your beautiful brown eyes, I knew those would be the eyes I would wake up to every morning for the rest of my life. The first words you said to me were, 'I'm sorry.' They were so simple but it was the best feeling ever when you spoke to me. And the second I heard your voice, I knew that would be the voice that would tell me sweet dreams every night for the rest of my life. I just want you to know that I think about you every single second of every day. I cannot imagine being with anybody else and I thank your parents for bringing you to this earth and into my arms. And now that I see my ring around my finger and you smiling up at me, I now know that I have finally found my other half. I was born to tell you that I love you and I don't think I could ever say it enough," he finished before leaning down to kiss Margaret.

The crowd cooed happily at his speech as they clapped enthusiastically at the kissing couple. They stared up at the main table, anxious to see if another man was to be giving a speech. Many glanced at Margaret's father, believing him to be the next in line, when they were all surprised by the next rising figured.

Margaret smoothed out her dress with a broad grin on her face. "Well, since apparently this is the time to give speeches, I thought I would give a go.

"First off, I wanted to thank my sweet husband for saying those beautiful words. I doubt I will ever forget them. And now it's my turn to say words you will never forget, so pay attention, darling," she laughed as she put a hand on his shoulder. He smiled up at her before grabbing her hand and softly kissing her knuckles.

"I've dreamed of love ever since I was a very small child. There were two things I knew I absolutely had to have and that was to have a wedding to end all weddings, and to experience a love like my parents have. And now I'm standing next to perfect man in the perfect dress. I'll be honest: when I first met you, I didn't think that would be how I would meet my soul mate, so I had my doubts. But while I'm standing here in this beautiful dress and looking down at your face, I can tell that we are simply meant to be. We are meant to be together, darling, and I wouldn't have it any other way. And just as you think about me everyday, trust me when I say this, whenever we are apart, I keep thinking of you, darling. You are everything I hope to find in every single way. I love everything about you, from your hair to your smile to the way you laugh. But most of all, darling, I love how you love me."

The crowd once again clapped enthusiastically as Phillip stood up to wrap his arms around Margaret. Sarah and Robert looked at each other with grins on their faces and tears in their eyes as they realized their miracle, their survivor, was a woman crazy in love now. Margaret stood on her toes to reach Phillip's lips, lightly pressing hers against his. There was no need for more passion for it was already in their hearts. She stared into his eyes with adoration as he pressed his forehead to hers. The world didn't exist as they stared into each other. They had each other forever and that was all they ever wanted. Phillip kissed her once more before grinning down at her.

And Margaret smiled up at her husband.