Big City Dreams.

Chapter 12.

"Do I look okay?" I snapped at a freshman in the nurse's office who was staring at me. I was just fine, Zette was the one that wasn't okay. After she passed out, Mr. H and I had gotten her to the nurse and now I just didn't want to go back to class. When the bell rang, I grabbed my bag, thanking the nurse for letting me stay and walking out.

I really didn't want to go to Mr. Minton's class. So, instead of going down the hall to his classroom, I went up the stairs and out into the courtyard. It was mostly empty with the exception of a couple kids I knew from detention. I nodded at them, heading for the oak tree and jumping up on the bench to grab a branch and pull myself up. Best way not to get caught cutting was to be out of sight.

I had never cut Mr. Minton's class before. Granted, before today, I didn't ever want to. Now, it was just going to be awkward. To be completely honest, I wasn't even sure if I'd ever be able to face him again. Sure, I had a crush on the guy but I wasn't ever going to act on it, and I guess that was half the fun.

"Out!" a voice shouted. "Everyone out of the courtyard!" I gulped, putting my bag in my lap so I could better grip on the branch I was perched on to make sure I wasn't going to fall out as I glanced down to see Mr. Davies and Mr. Minton, Alex and Ed, down there.

"What?" Ed asked, looking around to make sure they were alone. "What could you possibly want from me now, Alex?"

"Look at what you did!" Alex hissed. I gulped, trying my hardest to be still.

"What I did?" Ed snapped, "I'm not the one who's been blathering on and on about a student!"

"But you're the one shouting about it in the hall," Alex pointed out, "And inviting students to his house. We're both going go be out of a job. And arrested." Ed shook his head.

"Not if we both shut up," he sighed. "And just forget about those two. And that this ever happened," he suggested. My heart sank a little. Oh.

"Fine," Alex said. "I've got papers to grade," he informed before I heard him walk off. Then it was completely silent. My bag slid off my lap and went hurtling towards the ground and hit with a thud. Thankfully, nothing breakable was in there. I scrambled down from the tree to grab it.

"Em?" I froze, glancing up at the voice.

"Oh...hi, Mr. Minton."