Big City Dreams.

Chapter 14.

Zette had been so busy with Will, I was kind of left on my own most of the time these days. We did spend time together in the classes we had that Will wasn't in, I sat with them at lunch and we hung out on weekends but only when she wasn't busy with him.

I had been waiting around for Zette at the end of the day, a couple weeks after her and Will had gotten together, but it was taking her forever. Granted, it was pouring rain so everyone seemed kind of sluggish.

"What are you doing?" Mr. Davies asked as he walked passed me, giving me a look. I rolled my eyes, leaning against Zette's locker.

"What's it to you?" I asked calmly. He scowled.

"If you're looking for Zette, she left with her boy," he made a sickening noise, "Friend." I groaned, closing my eyes and hitting my head gently against her locker.

"Now you tell me," I grumbled, looking out of the doors nearest my to see the buses pulling out of the parking lot. "Shit."

"Call a parent?" he suggested. I nodded, pulling my phone out of my bag.

"My only option," I sighed. I stood up, heading for the door as I dialed, "Bye, Mr. Davies," I called back at him, opening the door. I stood in the gap between the first set of double doors and the other, raising my phone to my ear. It rang and it rang but my mom never picked up. I sighed heavily, guessing I was going to walk home. Only way.

"Fucking awesome," I grumbled to myself, wishing California wasn't so hot so I would have a hoodie so my hair wouldn't get wet. Sadly, I just had to suck it up and go.

I walked out into the rain, shivering as my temperature instantly dropped. I headed across the parking lot with my head down so I wouldn't get rain in my eyes and onto the main road. It was pouring and by the time I got to the end of the street, I was soaked. My house wasn't too far from school, but just far enough that I could take the bus. I shivered as the wind kicked up, silently cursing Zette for not telling me she was leaving with Will today.

"Oh my god," I grumbled to myself, waiting at the corner of the next road so I could cross the street and not get run down by the truck that was turning. That's when the car next to me's window rolled down.

"Em!" a voice called. I glanced over to see Mr. Minton, Ed, whatever I was supposed to call him these days, giving me a look.

"Get in," he told me, motioning for me to do just that. I opened my mouth to tell him I was fine, that would be too awkward, but when the wind kicked up again, I shut my mouth and nodded. He hit a button and the door's lock released and when I opened the door and got in.

"Which way?" he asked, locking the car door again as the light turned green.

"Straight ahead," I said, shivering slightly as I put on my seatbelt. "Sorry that I'm getting your car all wet, by the way," I added as he accelerated.

"It's fine," he said, "Why are you walking home? Especially in a storm like this?"

"Because I was waiting for Zette and she neglected to tell me she was leaving with her boyfriend," I informed. "And I found out just as the buses left."

"Why didn't you call someone to pick you up?"

"I tried," I sighed, "But my mom didn't pick up." He nodded, keeping his eyes on the road. We sat in relative silence with the exceptions of the rain pounding down and the windshield wipers. Once in a while, he asked which way and I pointed it out to him. When we finally pulled into my driveway, I saw my mom's car wasn't even parked in the driveway.

"Thank you," I said quietly, looking over at him. He nodded, cracking his knuckles against the steering wheel.

"Not a problem," he replied. I grabbed my bag, digging around for my keys so I could get inside.

"Em?" I looked up at him and then his lips were on mine.