Big City Dreams.

Chapter 24.

After a couple weeks, the plan was starting to fall into place. Zette's mother had been a little curious about what was going on at first, but we had explained to her that the baggy clothing was a bit of a social experiment. As for the morning sickness...well we hadn't quite figured that out yet, but luckily, Zette usually made it to school before she had a bout of it.

Sitting in History, I was trying to avoid Ed eyes as best as I could. He kept looking at me during class, but I was good at not looking back at him. I mostly kept my eyes on Zette, who was still a little on edge about the whole pregnancy thing, but she had calmed down a great deal.

At the end of class, I was trying to get out as fast as I could but it wasn't going to be that easy. Just as I got to the door, Ed called out to me, "Em? Can you stay after for a minute?" I groaned, rolling my eyes at Zette, who just gave me a small smile and winked. I shook my head and turned back into the room.

"So, what do you want?" I asked. He held his hand up, waiting until the door was closed before he said anything.

"I want to apologize for that night after the dance. I don't know what came over me. I'm just glad I got a hold of myself before anything happened," Ed said seriously.

"That's the only thing you have to apologize for," I said bitterly. He stared at me and sighed.

"It's wrong, Em. You're seventeen," he pointed out.

"You didn't care so much about my age that time you kissed me when you drove me home," I replied. He sighed, running his hand through his hair.

"I thought I could handle it, Em. I really did, but..." he stopped. "Look what happened to Zette and Alex," he pointed out.

"Who said that would happen to us?" I asked, raising my eyebrows at him. "I'd like to think we'd be a little more careful."

"Fuck yeah, we would," he said, nodding. "But," he started but I cut him off.

"Exactly. That wouldn't happen to us," I said. "Just think about it." I bit my lip, backing towards the door. "Just think about it." With that I left the room and went to lunch where Zette would hopefully be waiting for me.