Big City Dreams.

Chapter 8.

"He WHAT?" I squealed into the phone. So much for pretending to be sick. I had only told her that because I just didn't want to tell her I had actually gotten suspended. It technically hadn't been my fault, but it wasn't fair for two seniors to beat down a freshman, so I intervened. But would I get thanked for helping out a little kid? No. I got suspended.

"He was going to kiss me, Em! I swear!" she repeated. "And then this girl walked in and ruined it." I sat back on my bed, licking my lip.

"Bummer," I said and then added, "Why were in detention anyway?"

"I fell asleep in English," she sighed. "But why were you burning Mr. H's classroom? He won't let that go, you know." I snorted, rolling my eyes.

"No shit. Already know that," I told her. "But it was on accident. I mean, sure, I was making scorch marks with a magnifying glass and the sun on my desk, but I promise you, I didn't noticed when he put papers there and it just kind of....snowballed from there."

"Oh," she said shortly. There was a pause before she added, "You really don't sound sick. What's wrong with you?" I scowled, shaking my head.

"I was stupid enough to break up a fight," I said.

"And you got sick from that?"

"And I got suspended from that," I corrected. "Do me a favor and take awesome notes for me though. I come back the beginning of next week."

"And stare at Mr. Minton for you?" she added. I giggled a little.

"Please do," I replied, "Just not too much."

***

When I came back, Mr. Davies...Alex...whatever his name was these days, looked rather unhappy to see me. I couldn't help but laugh at that. Zette was rather oblivious to the daggers he was shooting me too.

"I don't know what he sees in you," he sighed as I walked past him on my way out of class. I stopped short, causing Zette to walk into me, raising my eyebrows.

"Who?" I asked shortly, scoffing slightly. I didn't like the daggers.

"Ed," he said. "Thinks you're such a good kid. You just got off suspension. Oh yeah, screams good kid right there. Minton's insane." He shook his head. "But he wants to talk to you. The both of you. Told me to tell you." I rolled my eyes, pulling Zette out of class.

"What can that be all about?" I asked, making a face. Why did he want to talk to the both of us?