‹ Prequel: Elven Spirit

Elven Sword

Elven Sword I

About three days passed and there was still no word of Gandalf from Gondor. Aragorn was getting frustrated that King Theoden would not ride out in the first place, knowing that Gondor was in trouble. No one else seemed to share that frustration with Aragorn.

Legolas and Celebrian understood the need to help Gondor, but they also understood that one cannot budge a king from his decisions. Gimli was just happy to have rest and large meals rather than marching off to war.

"Where has that Aragorn gone off to?" Gimli asked in his gruff voice, chomping down on a turkey leg.

Celebrian had to hide her disgust as she watched the dwarf eat like an animal.

"Aragorn is somewhere outside. I think he is watching for the beacon," Legolas answered.

"He watches in vain," King Theoden announced, entering the main hall with some of his soldiers and Eowyn, his niece.

"I do not think so," Celebrian stated. "Gandalf is very persuasive when he means to be."

Theoden opened his mouth to speak, but suddenly the doors burst open and Aragorn came runnning in.

"The beacons are lit! Gondor calls for aid!" he exclaimed, stopping in front of the king.

Theoden glanced at Celebrian who had a sly smile on her face and then he looked back at the Ranger.

"And Rohan will answer!"

Aragorn smiled in content just as everyone began to bustle around in preparation to march to Gondor.

Celebrian looked at Legolas in excitement and then the two of them glided away to prepare themselves.

Within four hours, the Rohirrim were gathering outside in the streets of Edoras, their horses in formation with each other and stamping their feet in anxiety.

Celebrian was in the stables preparing her horse when she felt a warm hand on her waist.

"This is odd of you, my prince," she said, not stopping from her task.

"I do not see how it is odd," Legolas replied, walking to his own horse and letting his hand run along Celebrian's back.

"Affection is not what you show best, love. You prefer to hide it until it is needed."

Legolas glanced at her from his horse, but he did not respond.

"You do not need to be silent. I am simply curious as to your motives for suddenly showing affection to me in the manner you did."

He did not look at her again, but Celebrian saw in his features his answer.

She walked over to him, leading her horse behind her, and she placed her free hand on one of his.

"You do not need to worry. It is three day's march to Minas Tirith and nothing will happen while in battle to either of us. Do not fret over what is not going to happen, Legolas," Celebrian reassured.

"I am sorry," Legolas met her gaze. "I will not think of it again until the time calls for it."

"Good. Now let us be off to Minas Tirith."

With that, Celebrian led her horse out the stable and mounted, trotting to join Aragorn on his horse.

The army rode for two days, stopping at night to rest and prepare, but there was still a day left to reach Minas Tirith.

On the second night, the army stopped under the protection of the White Mountains and pitched their tents; all the soldiers were anxious though being so close to where the dead lived.

"It is sad that the men are so afraid of the Dead Army," Celebrian sighed. "I do not fear them."

"You should. They can kill an entire army in seconds," the soldier, Eomer, replied.

Aragorn stared at the trench within the mountain wall the Rohirrim camped beside in curiosity. Celebrian watched him and in that moment, she sensed the dead within that trench and she stood, ready to fight. The moment someone distracted Aragorn from the trench, the sense of the dead disappeared and Celebrian sat back down in frustration.

Legolas sat beside her, "The dead are not pleasant people."

"I know that, but I do not fear them."

The elf prince smiled slightly at Celebrian, then kissed her forehead. "It is time for you to sleep, my love."

She nodded and stood to leave. Legolas stood with her and then he escorted her to her tent, saying goodnight with another kiss to her forehead.

Celebrian soon forced herself to sleep until she was awoken by an unexpected guest.

"Lord Elrond! What has brought you to the White Mountains from Rivendell!" Celebrian exclaimed, hugging the elder before her.

"I came to return Narsil to Aragorn."

"You reforged Isidur's sword? That is grand news!"

"Yes, but he is to use it to gain the trust of the Dead Army within the mountains," Elrond explained.

Celebrian grinned in excitement, "To have them fight with us would surely be great."

Elrond nodded, "I am afraid that I must leave your company now. I must return to Rivendell to be with Arwen."

The young elf smiled softly, "Do not worry for her, Lord Elrond. Your daughter knows what is good for her and love is more lasting than the Grey Havens."

Elrond didn't respond, but he smiled slightly and soon departed from the mountains.

Soon after, Legolas entered Celebrian's tent in haste.

"We leave for the Path of the Dead tonight. I wish for you to come with us," he said to Celebrian.

She grinned, "I can do that."

Legolas smiled back and left, letting Celebrian get herself ready.

Within minutes, Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas, and Celebrian were all headed into the trench of the mountain wall to find the Path of the Dead.

It was early morning when they came to a path that caused them to lead their horses through on foot. Their horses were reluctant to go, but with soft words and persuasion, they finally got moving again.

"Who would live in such a place?" Gimli asked no one in particular.

Legolas answered immediately, speaking of the people who once lived in the mountain, but were trapped by a curse from Isildur and their spirits reside within.

Aragorn remained silent, his kingly nature being brought out in Celebrian's eyes. He was determined to help his people and if he feared these spirits, he did well not to show it.

"How are you fairing, my lady?" Legolas quietly asked Celebrian.

His voice still sounded loud in the silent walls of the mountain.

"I am well. Do not worry for me."

He nodded and continued to lead his horse foreward.

It was not ten minutes when they arrived at a dark doorway to the Dead.

"The way is shut. It was made by those who are dead, and the Dead keep it. The way is shut," Legolas translated, looking at the markings above the door.

At that exact moment, a fierce, cool wind blew out from the cave door and caused the horses to rear and run away. Aragorn called after them, but they did not stop.

The four of them looked back at the door, but Aragorn gave a frightening glare.

"I do not fear death." He entered.

Legolas and Celebrian soon followed while Gimli hesitated outside. Then he got over his fear and caught up to his companions.

There was a mist that swirled about them the further they followed the Path of the Dead and ghostly hands lifted from the mist and groped at the four. The Elves dodged the hands and occasionally waved them away and Aragorn completely ignored them, his task pushing him forward. Gimli on the other hand was completely distracted by them and tried to blow them away with his breath.

Celebrian went to take another step in the mist when there was a crunch beneath her foot. Aragorn noticed and he looked down to find the floor covered in skulls.

"Do not look down," he warned, continuing on with the Elves following close behind him.

Of course, Gimli looked down and in his attempt to get away from the skulls, he stepped quickly which made his steps louder than they should have been.

Finally, Aragorn led his friends into a great hall where ghostly figures were circling the walls.

Celebrian stared in awe.

"This is where the Dead gather," Legolas informed, also looking around the hall.

Suddenly, a ghostly figure came through the wall before them and they watched the ghost in curiosity.

The ghost wore a crown and his flesh looked rotted from old age. His eyes were white from death and his teeth were rotted like his flesh. He was the King of the Dead.

"Who enters my domain?" he asked in a loud, raspy voice.

"One who will have your allegiance," Aragorn replied just as loudly as the King.

The King snarled, "The dead do not suffer the living to pass..."

"You will suffer me!"

The King of the Dead laughed, it's pitch lowering the longer he laughed, and as he did so, the mist disappeared and ranks of the Dead Army surrounded the four.

Celebrian studied the dead faces around her and frowned at their fate from their own choices. Her attention was suddenly brought to the King again just as Legolas shot an arrow at his head, but it passed right through him.

Aragorn stepped forward and yelled in desperation, "I summon you to fulfill your oath!"

"None but the King of Gondor may command me!"

The King of the Dead swung his sword to attack Aragorn, but Aragorn deflected it with Narsil, the reforged blade of Isildur.

"It cannot be! That line was broken!"

Aragorn grabbed the ghost and held his sword to his throat, "It has been remade."

There was a deathly silence before Aragorn addressed the Army of the Dead.

"Fight for us and regain your honor! What say you?"

The ghosts started to disappear, the king smirking and chuckling while Aragorn continued to yell.

Gimli told him to give up and then the cave suddenly began to shake and crumble around them.

The four of them climbed through the avalanche of skulls that fell from behind the wall the King of the Dead disappeared through and then they ran as fast as they could out of the collapsing tunnel and into sunlight.

Below them they saw the river that ran beside Osgiliath later down it's bank and in the waters were several boats of pirates.

Aragorn fell to his knees in defeat, staring at the ships and feeling that all hope was lost.

Just then, there was a low rumble behind them and the King of the Dead suddenly reappeared. Aragorn stared at the King in surprise.

"We fight!"

Triumph lit up Aragorn's face and there he made a plan to attack the pirates. Immediately after, the King disappeared again and the four friends made their way to the bank of the river to greet the pirates with their surprise attack.

Celebrian didn't pay too much attention to the dialogue between the man and the pirates for the only thing on her mind was the Army of the Dead who stood hidden behind them. She wondered if they would also betray Aragorn, but right as she thought that, Aragorn said the magic words that caused the King of the Dead and his army to reappear and attack the pirates in one fell swoop.

Once the boats were emptied of pirates, the ghost army loaded the ships along with the four.

"That was exciting," Celebrian stated once they got the ships moving toward Osgiliath again.

Aragorn gave her a look that made her feel like a child and she frowned at him.

"You must realize, Elesser, I have never been on an adventure such as this. War is a new concept that is exciting for me to be a part of since it is for the good of Middle Earth."

"This is no adventure to be taken lightly," he protested.

"I did not say such a thing."

Legolas put a hand on Celebrian's shoulder, "He is troubled, my love. Let him be. He is finding the king within him."

Celebrian looked that the Ranger who was busying himself with the King of the Dead and then she stared back at Legolas.

"I understand."

Her friend smiled slightly and gazed at her, "This battle will not be easy."

She nodded, "I know, but I am prepared to fight for our world."

Legolas placed his hand on the side of her face and was about to lean in and truly kiss her, but Gimli walked over and starting talking loudly. Thankfully he was not paying attention to anything going on between the Elves.

They sailed for several minutes until Aragorn ordered all of them to hide until they came to a stop along the shore. All of them willingly obeyed and not a minute went by until they heard some of the Orcs in the distance talking loudly. They heard one Orc complain about the pirates being late and that's when the ship stopped.

Aragorn nodded to the others and all four of them jumped off the ship, stunning the Orcs. Without hesitated, the four charged at the collection of Orcs and they were soon followed by the Army of the Dead.

Celebrian took out Orc after Orc, with her sword and occasionally with her bow, all the while she silently counted her kills after hearing the dwarf and the elf counting out loud.

The four friends followed after the Dead Army, knocking down any Orcs that were left behind the Dead. Soon they were in front of Minas Tirith, attacking any Orc they saw and protecting the Rohirrim that finally got there. Mumakil were stomping across the land, taking out Rohirrim with a swing of their tusks.

"This is unfortunate," Celebrian said to hereself as she shot up at the Haradrim soldiers perched on the Mumakil. In doing that, she lost sight of her friends, but she did not falter.

After only minutes of killing Orcs and some Haradrim, Celebrian turned to find a Mumakil heading straight toward her.

"Come, Lady Elf! We need to get out of the way!" Gimli called to her.

Suddenly, the Mumakil began to fall to the ground, skidding to a halt just before its tusks got near the Elf and Dwarf. Unexpectedly, Legolas came sliding down it's trunk in front of the two.

Gimli growled, "It still only counts as one!"

The three looked around them, the Dead scared off many of the Orcs and Mumakil, but they continued to attack. They also began to fill the city of Minas Tirith and take out all enemies within it's walls.

"That felt good," Celebrian stated, looking around to make sure all Orcs around her were dead.

"We must search for anyone alive," Legolas reminded, instantly going off to see who of Rohan still lived, but were injured.

"Let us go, Master Dwarf," Celebrian said, walking in the opposite direction of Legolas to search.
♠ ♠ ♠
That was super long and the next one will probably be long too. I am stopping it there, but I'll have another chapter up soon that has the battle at the Black Gate. Thanks for reading!