Absolutely

Chapter 2

Jogging never failed to set me at ease. My mind drifted to the recent fight with Alice, but rather than a flash of anger numbing my senses, i was relaxed.

"You had no right rummaging through my things!" I had yelled at my aunt.

"I have every right to look through your things, especially with what i found!" she had shrieked, waving my pack of cigarettes, "What are you thinking?"

"That I can do whatever the hell pleases me! You're not my mother, Jeremy is not my father! Sorry that their death brought such an inconvenience on you!"

She had opened her mouth, but was too shocked to speak.

"Da-Damien," she finally said, "I'm not trying to be your mother,"


She had looked me straight in the eye, which was one of the good things about her, just not that instance. I looked down swiftly, in attempt to hide the moisture in my eyes, but her light-blue eyes caught everything.

According to Jeremy, those same light-blue eyes laid on my mum's face, as well as my own.

I looked down at my beat-up iPod, changing the song, and blasting the volume up. I was - if anything - happy that this neighborhood had a park.

"Just like the one you used to run in England,"Alice had told me on the first day of my arrival.

The park was mostly empty. I could only see one pale, blurry figure in the distance. The rest of the area was being enjoyed by a few crows and the occasional pigeon.

I sighed. The grey clouds looked menacing, not that i would have gone back to Alice's. I felt a cold, wet drop of rain hit the side of my face. Then, faster and faster the drops came down. I ran to the only rain shelter in the park.

So, even in America the weather is crap, I told myself, joy.