Tours and Tears

First and Last

“Thank you.” You muttered. The school secretary was not helpful. She gave you a schedule written all in German. Which you didn’t understand. She obviously didn’t know English that well either. All the classrooms were written in German. You didn’t understand ANYTHING! It was so annoying. With all the thinking going on inside your head, you didn’t realize the row of lockers right in front of you. “OW!” You shouted. The lockers hurt.

“You okay?” Someone asked. He had straight black hair and green-gray eyes. He looked about 5’10, give or take a few inches.

“You speak English!” You yelled excitedly.

“Yeah, ich guess ich kinda do.” He smiled a sly smile. He was so hot.

“So, can help me find my classes?” You asked. This could be the only English-speaking boy in the whole school.

“Nein prob. Your next ist Psychology--” He took a pen and scratched out the German lettering on my schedule and re-wrote it in English.

“Thanks.” You smiled.

“--your classes are der same exact ones as mine, Dass ist creepy.” He continued on talking.

“So does dass mean I can just follow you to my classes?” You asked. You knew you were gonna get lost.

“Um, sure. You can even sit with me--us--at lunch.” He looked back over his shoulder. Someone was staring at him holding a symbol over his head. It looked like a “T” with two other horizontal lines on the “T” and a circle around it. It looked like a gang sign. Strange. “The class ist right there, don’t be late. Ich will be Dort soon--”

“Hagen!!!” Someone, the one with the symbol, screamed. “Yeah hurry up, Moritz!” Another one screamed. Two other boys appeared by the symbol-holder’s sides.

“--just go in der classroom!” He yelled as he was running toward the three troublesome teenagers at the other end of the corridor.

You trudged into the classroom. The teacher stopped and looked at you. “Ms., your late.”

“Sorry, it’s um my first day at--”

“Es doesn’t matter sit. Back in der back. Hurry up now.” The teacher screeched. You took a seat in the back of the classroom. The door squeaked open again.

“Ooh, ja sir, Mr. Listing. Please take a seat.” Hmph. She didn’t scream at him for being late.

“Danke, Ms. Shaefer.” He said. He walked to the only other open desk in the room…the one next to you…

“It’s you.” You hissed.

“Es ist du.” He hissed back. You ripped a sheet of notebook paper out of your notebook and wrote him a message:
You never told me your name…

He took the paper and wrote you back in a really cool penmanship.
Georg Listing, and your’s?

You smiled and wrote him back:
I don’t give that kinda info out. Bye.

You realized something you didn’t wanna realize. That boy was in a band. A famous band. Tokio Hotel. You hate that band. You hated Georg with all your heart.

“Was?” He asked. He thought you were playing, obviously not.

You raised your hand. “Ms. Shaefer, may I switch spots with someone up front? I cant see.”

“Why certainly.” She replied. “Anyone wanna switch?” Everyone girl in the class raised their hands. Instantly, you got a new seat. Georg mouthed, “What’s up with you?” at you. You shifted your head, you didn’t want to ever look at him again.

After awhile, the bell finally rang. Next hour was lunch. Georg had told you that much. Someone had moved from a table to allow you to sit. You could see Georg perfectly. And he could see you. You ate lunch all by yourself, well half of it, anyway. About half way through lunch, someone with dreadlocks walked up to you and sat down across from you and blocked your view from Georg.

“Hallo, ich am Tom.” He said.

“Lettme guess, Tom--ten minutes older than Bill--twin brother to Bill Kaulitz. Tokio Hotel.” You said.

“Stalker.” He muttered.

“Shut up, Tom. What do’ya want?” You asked rudely.

“Okay here it ist, meine boy Georg ist like really upset because of you, he won’t like play music with tomorrow for der school, can’t du like cheer him up?” He gave you the puppy dog face.

“Hmmm, no. Maybe if you guys would stop singing, more people would listen to you.” You said.

“Ouch. Ice Woman got some burn dazu her.” Tom said. Covering his mouth with his hand.

“Tom--do you even remember me?!” You exploded.

“Uh nein.” He said quietly.

“Of course. Go away.” You muttered.

“Sorry, nein can do.” He replied.

“You guys promised to write. But then you went on that stupid tour. A-and you forgot about me, Tom.” You spilled out.

“Huh?”

“Do you remember when you first went on tour? Of course not, because you don’t remember me. Magdeburg, Germany. Tom I was your neighbor for seven years. I was in with love your music. I needed you guys. But you abandoned me. Me and Georg were dating it was the happiest time of my stupid life!” You whispered and yelled at the same time. You got up and walked out of the cafeteria. Tom went back to go sit at the band’s table. He looked wide-eyed and shocked. He wouldn’t talk to anyone, now you’re in trouble. That’s two band members you’ve made go insane.

“Ms., you better get to class.” A teacher or someone said.

“Whatever.” You muttered. .

“Hey! We need dazu talk dazu du!” The Tokio Hotel members shouted walking right up to you right before you went into your class.

“Well I don’t wanna.” You twisted the door knob. But Gustav stopped you. He put you in a headlock. “Lettme go! I’m gonna get a teacher!!” You threatened.

“Hah,” Bill scoffed. Gustav picked you up off the ground and carried you into the courtyard where he sat you down on a bench. Tom and Georg appeared quietly behind them. Bill’s hair blocked the view of Georg. Stupid hair, stupid Bill, stupid band, stupid world.

“Okay, ich am worried du hate der band.” Bill started to talk. Although Tom and Bill were twins, I didn’t see it.

“You worry right.” You muttered. Gustav put in a CD to a CD player and put right next to me.

“Ich muss durch den monsun..” It rang out. It was one of the bands greatest hits. Durch Den Monsun, it was the German version of Monsoon.

“STOP IT!!!” You screamed, you couldn’t take it anymore. “I HATE YOUR MUSIC! I HATE YOU! I HATE EVERYTING ABOUT YOU INCLUDING GEORG!!!!” Tears poured out of your eyes. Bill’s mouth gaped open. Tom just held his head down, he was the only one who knew what happened with the band. Georg began to cry…something that has never happened before, it was devastating to see. Gustav just looked at me.

“________, ist it really du?” Bill asked. “ich thought ich would never see du again…”

“N-never s-see m-me a-again…y-you n-never e-even w-wrote m-me…” You sobbed. Georg was the only one who didn’t understand what was happening. He didn’t get it.

“Listen, it wasn’t by choice. My--our--manager wouldn’t let us…” Bill explained. You didn’t believe him.

“Es ist true, look.” Bill handed you a small envelope. You took it slowly.
Dear _________,
I miss you so much, if only I could see your beautiful
face, my life would be complete. But we’re in America
right now. Hopefully, our tour will end soon. I’ve learned
English so we can talk together. Write me back, remember,
baby Ich leibe dich. Anyway, I best go. Bill wants to have a rehearsal dinner for the MTV president.
Ich Leibe Dich,
Georg Moritz Hagen Listing <3

You cried silently. You handed the letter back to Bill, your hand was shaking. Terribly.

“See…?” Tom said. “He did try…” You didn’t want to respond. Georg’s face was red, he was still crying. The tears never stopped coming from his eyes. Gustav and Tom were blocking the view from Georg. Bill had sat down and started to mutter to himself.

“Move.” Georg said. He wanted to get through from Tom and Gustav.

“Yeah, move.” You said. You ran into Georg. You wrapped your arms around his neck. “Ich am so sorry…ich didn’t know..” You started to speak the little German you knew.

Georg smiled. He really smiled. “Ich leibe dich…” He smiled again. You leaned into him. You kissed him, he kissed you. It was your fairy tale story.

German Words-
Ich- I
Ist- is
Nein- no
Dass- that
Dort- there
Du- you
Meine- my
Dazu- to
Es- it
Der- the
Danke- thank you
Und- and