Status: Being worked on.

Magnolias.

Promise me.

“Promise me,” the girl whispered, stretching her hand forward towards the brown-eyed boy.

His mouth opened and shut. He looked like a fish, a dumb hopeless fish and she hated him for it. She really hated him.

In reality, his reality at least, what she was asking was utterly impossible. There was no way he could promise her anything like this. He couldn’t see the future and he couldn’t save her, not this time.

“Promise me I won’t die,” she repeated through clenched teeth.

The boy closed his eyes, and sighing deeply he reluctantly gave in. “I promise.”

They had done this before, many times. This exact scene had played out over and over again with only measly differences to keep the boy from confusing them. He remembered his promise from the week before; it had been the easier of the many. She had asked him to stay with her, and to promise to never leave was an easy thing for the boy. He hadn’t been able to imagine any other possibility for months. Yes, they had been doing this for months.

The boy had moved in at the beginning of this year, and it was nearing Christmas now. He had moved in to help her control herself, to fight off her demons, to save her. It didn’t take him long to realize none of this was possible, and all he could do was stand by her while she slowly decomposed. That particular thought was becoming a reality. The tiny girl didn’t have enough strength to lift herself out of bed, she could barely lift her head and her breathing had long ago become labored. She had been in her bed for nearly a month now and she was destined to spend all of the holidays there too, if she even lasted that long. A silent IV stuck out of her arm and filled her with nourishment, nourishment her body no longer accepted as such.

She was a pile of bones; her heart a firecracker ready to explode. Her veins shrunk into nothing and her eyes screamed fear and innocence. She spoke softly to herself when she was alone and sometimes she saw things. She saw things that weren’t really there; things that weren’t real. But they were real to her.

The IV made her veins burn and swell; there were many nights she had pulled it out for those exact reasons. Her belly protruded, contradicting every other piece of her.

She was crazy. She was sick. She was revolting.

She hadn’t always been this way though. Over a year ago she was a normal eighteen year old, with dreams, a boyfriend, and loving parents. Over a year ago she was perfectly fine.
But that all came crashing down when she met a beautiful green-eyed demon.

She was pretty. She was thin. She was pure.
It was late and she had been up for hours researching a five-page paper due the next day. It wasn’t hard but her mind just wouldn’t comprehend much of what the many sites and books were telling her. Everything seemed all jumbled, as if she was reading a foreign language. She blamed it on lack of sleep and soon let her body drag her down the hall to her soft bed. The next day when she woke there was an angel sitting on her bed, twisting her thick hair around a bony finger. From there things began to change.

She was death wrapped in a shroud of skin, polluted by fluids and deteriorating bones.
She was gone, long gone, and she wasn’t coming back.

Her hair was pretty then. It fell to the middle of her back in loose waves. Her hair was her crowning glory; her hair and her smile were what defined her. They were what had caused the brown-eyed boy to fall in love with her. They were her little piece of fate.

Now there wasn’t much of that hair left. The girl had lost most of what made her beautiful before, now she had new reasons. Her ears stuck out a bit too far and her nose had grown from all the terrible lies she had told.

She was ugly. She was fat. She was disgusting.

Her body is like a crime scene; plastic ‘Do Not Cross’ tape is wrapped thickly around her neck. Her body is covered with bruises and scrapes and burns. A simple scratch could lead to a blood transfusion. Most of her organs have given up, and all of her body drooped in a sad and sick sort of way. There was nothing left in this world for the girl, there hadn’t been for a long time. As soon as the green-eyed beauty showed herself the small girl checked out.

She was crazy. She was gone. She was clinging silently to death, and death wouldn’t let her go.