Status: In waiting for wishes...

Dream Shop

2nd Wish

Nyria sat upright in the sofa, her hands enclosed around the green cup of tea that had gone tepid. Occasionally, she would glance secretly around the shop, letting only a little curiosity get the best of her.

“Feel free to walk around the shop, Nyria,” the witch said unexpectedly, her eyes still focused on the cup in her hands. The human girl jumped in surprise, goose bumps rose at the back of her neck. She must not have done something illegal, and yet she felt guilty somehow for been told by the witch.

“Oh, no. That’s alright,” she said hastily, gulping down the tea without tasting it. Nyria choked on the liquid that momentarily refused to flow down her throat. She stuck out her tongue, her expression sour and quite green with nausea. “What is this?”

The witch smiled, amused. “Green tea. I like it best bitter and potent.” She was silently glad Kira wasn’t there to see the girl’s face. How his spirit would be crushed.

“Why don’t you have some biscuits,” she offered. “I’m not one for sweets.”

Nyria picked up a biscuit topped with strawberry jam, a little too eager to chomp on it. The sugary delight melted on her tongue, easing the bitter effect of the tea. She didn’t need permission to have another one of those.

“Now that you are comfortable, why don’t you tell me your story?”

Nyria swallowed the last piece of the cookie. “I want to find someone.”

“And who would that be?” she said, staring Nyria directly in the eyes.

“The truth is,” she began, “I’ve been having these dreams. And every single time, it was the same thing.”

Estrella nodded knowingly. “Dreams are often glimpses into your past.”

“That’s the thing,” she exclaimed suddenly. “I feel like…like I’ve known him from somewhere. In my dreams, he was always smiling…at me.”

“So he loved you,” Estrella pointed out. It was a statement, not a question, but it was enough to bring the blush to Nyria’s face.

“That’s what I would like to think,” she said timidly, a feeling of helplessness overwhelmed her. “But I couldn’t stop feeling…empty once in awhile. Sometimes, I feel like he’s really close by…but then I would lose sight of him very quickly.”

Like he doesn’t want to be found, she thought.

“Yet you still want to seek him out?” the witch said, as if in respond to Nyria’s thought. “Even when he is no longer the same person you had known?”

“Yes,” she said vehemently. “He definitely is the one I was born to meet.”

“I can help you find him,” Estrella said. “At a price, of course.”

Nyria rose to full height, leaning across the table separating her and the witch. “Really? You can help me?”

Estrella smiled astutely. “It is my duty after all.”

“What must I give you in return?” Nyria was nervous, but she couldn’t back out now, not when her goal was so close that she could just reach out and grab it.

Estrella put aside her cup, as she reached her hand toward Nyria’s face. The human girl had the urge to flinch away, but something about that pale gaze froze her. The witch’s touch was unexpectedly warm for someone who emitted a desolate vibe, as if nothing could approach her without harming itself. With a graceful hand, she pushed the curtain of hair on Nyria’s forehead out of her eyes, deep and blue as the depth of the ocean

“These eyes,” she muttered as if in a trance, “hide an ominous source. A very powerful one, indeed.”

Nyria gulped, feeling awkward and confused at the witch’s action. Estrella noticed the uneasiness and removed her hand. “Pardon me. That was rude of me to do.”

“You…want my eyes?” she asked tautly.

Estrella laughed slightly. “No, not your eyes, my dear. I want what is in those eyes. And I assure you, it will not harm your body.”

Nyria didn’t understand the point of this conversation. The witch wanted something that she wasn’t sure she possessed. She could only guess that an extraordinary being’s eyes could see what she, as a human, couldn’t see. Besides, she had the feeling that the witch was trustworthy as long as she could grant her wish.

“I will come to collect your payment once you have found him,” she said with a smile that seemed to know too much to be kind.

“How do I recognize him? I’m not even sure if he still looks the same.”

“Trust me,” she said gently. “You will know.”
Image
Estrella fell back on her chair, her fingers playing around the handle of the teacup. It had been more than a minute since the human girl left her shop. She should have been back to her world by now.

“Come on out,” she called. “There’s no need for you to hide anymore.”

Behind the curtain, a tall shape stood hidden in the dark shadow. Kira, who had stepped out from the kitchen, glanced at him nervously. The stranger stepped out into the faint light pouring through the window, the hem of his trench coat fluttering as he marched toward the witch. He dropped down on the seat where Nyria had left it, glaring at Estrella darkly.

“Why did you promise her that?” he said with contained anger.

“I don’t see why I shouldn’t,” she replied, shrugging. “Besides, isn’t that what you wanted, too?” She eyed him slyly. “How does it feel to see the love of your life?”

“Shut up,” he said dangerously, but it only earned a raised eyebrow from Estrella.

The man before her was of her world. It had been quite a long time since she last seen him, but he still looked the same, unable to move on with time. The only difference was that he had become dour, unlike the cheerful boy he had once been. His blood-red eyes held hers, steady and dim, eclipsing the tortured and damaged soul that made him who he was today.

In other circumstances, if she were human, Estrella would have been frightened by his presence, which reeked of menacing and murderous intents. To them, he would be regarded as a deadly predator stalking the night. To her, he would always be the boy who had nothing, only a promise he had vowed to keep to continue living. He was but a wounded animal with sharp claws, already broken.

“Is it that time yet?” he asked huskily, his voice was anxious.

“No,” she replied. “But it will arrive soon.”

“Will you still keep the promise you made to me when that day comes?”

“I always keep my words,” she said calmly. “A contract is a contract.”

He heaved a sigh, clenching his hands. “I understand. I will be needing your help when the time comes.”

“It is always my pleasure,” she said, as he rose from his seat, heading for the door. “It was nice to see you again, Blaine.” But he was already out of the door, never to look back again.
♠ ♠ ♠
This story is written on the request of PandaCub3. The names of the two characters are also hers.
Hope you enjoy it!