Sequel: Mockingbird.

Not So Jasey Rae.

Fifteen.

Thursday, April 23rd, 2009

The rest of the night had been normal, for the most part. Sky had called Alex, who called a taxi to drive up there, in order to drive back home. Skylar and Rian had been of help to get Jack and Nicole, who were very drunk, into the car.

Skylar had gotten a call from Zack about an hour later, who was waiting for his plane to arrive. Apparently, according to what Zack had been told, Sonia had been hit head on by a drunk driver. The damage was done. She wouldn’t live another day.

Zack also told her that he wouldn’t be attending the funeral. Along with the fact that it was too hard, he said that he wasn’t sure if Sonia’s parents wanted him there, reason unknown to Skylar.

She let it go, hoping he would tell her when the time was right. She thought about it as she lay in Zack’s twin hotel bed that night.

Tomorrow wouldn’t be any better.

|~|~|~|

Thursday was planning to be a normal day for the rest of them. With Jack and Nicole hungover, Amelia just getting over her bug, and Zack gone, there wasn’t much fun they could have, anyway. So they all voted on just staying at the hotel, playing videogames, and watching movies.

It was now around two in the afternoon, and they were watching ‘The Hangover’ again, seeing as they all needed a laugh. Jack of course took it into his own hands to narrate the film, pointing out everything her liked, hated, and quoted some things as well. They all laughed as he incorrectly pronounced a word, fumbling over it in a hurry to continue.

When the movie was finally over, and everyone had mildly parted their ways around the hotel, doing their own thing, Skylar received a phone call that changed her life.

When it rains, it pours, right?

|~|~|~|

“Honey, it’s your dad. I-I have some news for you, and I’m not sure how you’ll take it.” To Skylar, he sounded as if he had been crying.

“Dad, what’s wrong?” She asked, concerned.

“It’s- it’s your mother. We just got back from the hospital. They…” He trailed off as violent sobs racked his frame.

“Dad? Dad? What’s wrong with mom?!” She almost yelled in panic, but she forced it down, not wanting anyone to hear her.

“She… they diagnosed her… with cancer!” The bubbling fear that had been forming in the pit of her stomach grew as she realized her suspicions were true. Their family had a history.

“What… what kind?” Her voice was shaking now.

“Liver. It’s last stage, Skylar.” She knew what that meant.

“How long does she have?”

“The doctors are saying they’re lucky if it’s a month. She’s dying, Sky.”


It was now Sky’s sobs that were shaking her as she lay on Zack’s bed, her mind replaying the phone call that had occurred just hours before.

It hurt her even more that their mother had requested that they not see her in this condition.

Neither her nor Taylor.

It hurt her, so bad.

Taylor, who had been at a friend’s house, had called earlier, just to check up. From there, Skylar had requested that she call their father right that minute, in order for her to understand why her sister was crying.

She hadn’t called back.

It was around five-thirty when a knocking came to the door. It wasn’t the first, though. People had been bothering her all afternoon, and she just replied saying that she was tired, and taking a nap, or that she hadn’t gotten much sleep that night. She kept her back to the door, not wanting anyone to see her tear stained face. After the first few people, she just locked the door. Everyone had believed her, until now.

“Sky? It’s Alex; I know you’re not really sleeping… I could hear you crying. Open up,” He got no response. “Please?” He asked in a much softer voice. Skylar sniffled, knowing that if she didn’t listen and let him in he would tell everyone else. She rolled off the bed, her feet catching her right before she fell, and walked over to the door.

Alex smiled when he saw the door unlock, and waited for her to open it. His smile was gone. She looked horrible, hair was a mess, her eyes were red and swollen from crying, and she had tear stains on her shirt. Her clothes were wrinkled, and she just looked torn. “What?” She asked, he voice instantly cracking, he saw more tears in her eyes.

“Oh, God,” He whispered, wrapping his arms around her. She instantly broke into tears again, her hands clutching his flannel shirt tightly. He kicked the door shut behind him, and stumbled over the bed, arms still wound. He sat, allowing her to climb onto his lap and curl into his chest. He shifted so his back was against the headboard, and he rubbed circles into her back softly. “What happened? Are you alright?” he asked softly, caring.

She sniffled, “No. I’m not,” And another round of tears hit her. He ran his fingers though her hair while she calmed down. When she finally did, she spoke, “My mom. It’s my mom. Alex, she’s dying. Cancer!” She yelled the last word, digging her head into his chest, sniffing.

He continued to move his fingers up and down her back, before lifting one hand to tilt her chin upwards. He wiped the last of her tears away with his thumb, shushing her quietly.

“Where are the others?” She asked.

“Amelia is taking a nap with Taylor and the guys went out to grab a bite to eat. They should be back soo with our food.”

“Oh,” She leaned her head back on his chest. They had shifted, so that she was straddling his thighs, it was easier to comfort her that way.

“How are you?”

“I’m better. I little better now. Thank you, Alex. I think all I really needed was a hug.”

“Well, you got it,” He smiled wide. She couldn’t help but smile back. It didn’t escape her dark eyes that he leaned in slightly, either. She was messed up, and not thinking clearly, but she needed it, she knew she did. He was taking it slow, his breath just barely hitting her face. It was too slow for her. She pushed her lips onto his hungrily, automatically weaving her shaking fingers in his hair, as she did with Zack. That was it; she was pretending it to be Zack. She needed comfort, and he wasn’t here…

Alex was.

His lips responded, moving with hers, but slower. He knew what he was doing was wrong, but she wanted this, who was he to deny her? He felt purely lust for the girl, and he knew this wasn’t going anywhere, it couldn’t, but it was a start. His arms tightened around her waist, while hers when to his flannel shirt. That was when he pulled away. “You’re not thinking correctly. And you’re dating Zack, just clear your head a little, and if you want it,” He gulped, “Then sure. But, I can’t do this to you right now. I’m sorry.” He smiled before getting up, kissing her forehead, and walking out of the room, shutting the door softly behind him.

What had she gotten herself into?

She bites my lip, I’m sure to follow…
♠ ♠ ♠
10 STARS! You guys are incredible!

Thank you guys SO much for the ten stars! It is my first :)

Along with that, what do you guys think of the chapter? ;)
This is personally my favorite so far.
Who else has a change of heart for Alex?
I do! I do! I do!
Anyone 'Team Alex'?

Thanks to:
alexsaur.
Got Dynamite
rivals are insane
i'll be your friend
ShutUpChristine
xXswiperXx
Aliyah-loves-A7x
jadeeee
brianna7x
chewy...
Nicholeioli


Eleven comments! Thank you!

Story Of The Post:
Drugs Aren't The Only Thing That Can Make You Feel That Way by BreatheKayla.
This is just overall a cute story, in my opinion, and it's different. The plot is different, the characters are different. I suggest this, it's an original.

Anyone else buy Avenged Sevenfold's new album, 'Nightmare' today? I did, I got a little teary (like many people) hearing 'Fiction'. foREVer.

Like the new layout, or the old one? I like both, and I can't decide. So when you comment, please tell me which on you perfer, because I really couldn't care either way ;)

Oh, and I just created a contest, please check it out, I need members ;) Something Lovely. Drabble Contest.

Thanks!
Ash.