Sequel: Mockingbird.

Not So Jasey Rae.

Twenty-Four.

Sunday, May 3rd, 2009

Amelia and Skylar. Skylar and Amelia. The pair had been inseparable for years until the boys came along. They got a along perfectly, kept each other’s secrets, never lied to each other, and never got tired of the other. With the arrival of All Time Low, all that changed.

Now they constantly fought, went behind the other’s back, couldn’t risk telling the truth to the other, and just couldn’t stand being around each other for long. Maybe this was why Amelia wanted them to have a girls’ night, just the two of them without the boys. They could finally talk like they used to.

And that’s how it was. They had all of Nicholas Sparks’s movies, chocolate ice cream, marshmallows, sun chips, and pickles. They had tissues at hands, cried, and then laughed it off with some stupid memory. They had an overall good night until about 11:30, when the doorbell rang. Amelia paused the movie and Skylar jumped up to get the door. Swinging it open, she saw no one, but something caught her eye, and she looked down. There, sitting on the welcome mat, was a dozen equally sorted white and yellow roses in a lovely pink wrapping. She picked the roses up, looked around, and closed the door.

When Amelia saw the roses in Skylar’s hands, she jumped up off the couch. “Who are they for?”

Skylar looked around before finally spotting the little card. “Guess we’ll find out.” The card had a little boy and girl holding hands on the front, and when she opened the card, she saw who it was from. She read it out loud to Amelia.

”My darling Skylar,
I got you these roses on the slim chances that they make you happy. They symbolize you. Look up the colors, and you’ll understand what I mean.
The roses may be lovely, but not nearly as gorgeous as you are. There are more coming soon.
I hope someday you’ll see, your secret admirer.”


Amelia ‘aww’ed at the idea that it was Zack who sent the roses, because if he did then he’d have to have had someone ding dong ditch the roses, and he obviously put thought into it. She left the squealing Amelia and logged onto her laptop, typing into Google ‘rose color meanings’. She clicked on the first website she saw.

White: Innocence, purity, silence, secrecy, youthfulness, heavenly.

Was she innocent? It had never occurred to her that she was, but I guess now that she thought about it. Especially when compared to Amelia…

Yellow: Friendship, joy, gladness…

Friendship? Zack? Now that confused her. Skylar whipped out her phone and texted Zack himself, asking if he had sent her the roses. His reply came back a negative. Then who did?

The question bothered her even as she fell asleep. But her last thought was that it didn’t matter. She had Zack, and she was very happy with him. It didn’t make a difference if she got roses or had a secret admirer. It didn’t matter…

***

Friday, May 8th, 2009

The doorbell rang. It was 7:48 in the morning according to the clock on the wall and Skylar had previously been trying to sleep in. But just like every other morning this past week, she had been greeted by the doorbell to deliver another dozen anonymous roses. They were different colors for different meanings. She got light pink (grace and admiration), orange and coral (desire), yellow with red tip (friendship and falling in love), lavender (love at first sight and enchantment), and pale peach (modesty).

She convinced herself not to worry about it. It was nothing, and it would surly pass. Amelia thought it was adorable, and she had all the flowers placed in pretty glass vases around the house.

Honestly, Skylar was just tired. Of all of it. The roses, the drama, her family. Taylor was doing good, her and their father found a nice little house for the baby and Taylor until she can support herself. Sky was happy for them.

Tomorrow, the girls had a web chat schedule with All Time Low, and Skylar decided she would tell them then. If it wasn’t a big deal, what did she have to hide?

Nothing, at all.

You like me, just the way I’m not…
♠ ♠ ♠
So this one is very short. Sorry
I got no comments last chapter, which I expected, but could I get a few this chapter?
Question: What do you think of the roses?
Next one'll be short and boring too, until the end, but you should like the one after that.
Love you guys,
-Ash.