Sequel: Mockingbird.

Not So Jasey Rae.

Three.

Sunday, April 5th, 2009

Finally, when Amy and Alex decided to stop sucking face, the waiter came over. Of course, the boys knew the owner of the diner, and got the four of them free beers. After they ordered their food, they decided to all talk, but no one knew what to say.

“So, Alex, what’s it like to be on the road?” Amy asked, actually interested.

“It’s amazing. It’s once in a lifetime. And I love what I do. I love to sing. I love being able to pour my heart out like that, through song, and have people cheer me on. It’s an incredible feeling.” Skylar was surprised at this. He sounded different when he talked about his music.

“Well, Sky knows all about that, don’t you?” Amelia looked at Skylar, grinning like a proud mother. Skylar gave her a look, trying to get her to shut up; it didn’t work. “Skylar sings, and she’s outstanding at it, too.”

“Really?” Zack turned towards her, “I’d like to hear it.”

Sky blushed tomato red, “Um, maybe, some other time.” She looked up at Zack, he smiled, understandingly.

Alex cleared his throat, “So, what do you guys do? Like, for a living,” His question was directed at Amy.

“Well, right now, we’re only working part-time jobs, before we decide to go to college, we’re not quite sure when. I want to be a nurse, and Sky, a photographer.”

Zack yet again turned to face his date, “Really? You’re into photography? I am too.”

“That’s cool, I’ve always loved it, I consider it a way to vent. That, and drawing.”

“Oh yeah, you guys should see her artwork, it’s amazing. She can draw practically anything.”

“I’m not that good. You make me sound like a prodigy.”

“You are that good, Sky.”

“Whatever. But, I have a question for you guys.” She tried to get them off the subject of her.

“Ask away.”

“Why are you here? I mean, for whatever reason you were here last night would have you gone by now, wouldn’t it? Tour?”

“Oh, no, we’re not currently on tour. The concert we did last night was just a short stop; we’re here to visit Rian’s cousin. We leave in about a week.”

“Oh,” The girls said in unison. In truth, Sky felt something towards Zack; he seemed like a great friend. She didn’t want him to leave. Not yet, anyway.

It was quiet then, but, luckily, their food came, right at the right time. They ate in an awkward silence for the first few minutes, contemplating what to say. Zack finally stepped up.

“So, what other bands do you guys listen to?” Skylar couldn’t help but notice –and like-how he hadn’t said, ’what other bands besides us?’ it just made him seem less self absorbed.

“Sky and I pretty much have the same taste in music. Blink-182, Green Day, Hey Monday, things like that.”

“I like Bon Jovi, and Alice Cooper, also.” Sky added, and the guys noticed how Amelia seemed to speak for her most of the time.

“Alice Cooper is one creepy dude,” Alex jolted into the conversation suddenly.

“I like him,” Zack smiled back down at the brunette.

“So, what did you guys do today?” Amy was smart; she had stopped the group from slipping back into useless silence.

“We just hung out with some old friends, played some pool, drank. Normal day.” Alex shrugged uncaringly.

“What about you ladies?” There was Zack, being considerate again.

“We went to see Sky’s parents. Big family lunch. Mrs. DeMoir is an amazing cook, Sky inherited that.”

“Lovely.” Skylar heard Alex mumble sarcastically, though she wasn’t sure anyone else did.

As the minutes passed, Zack and Skylar found themselves in the same situation as before, all to themselves while Alex and Amelia made out across from them.

“So, Skylar, I was wondering, maybe if you’re not busy tomorrow, we could go on a little photography trip, just drive around?”

“That seems fun.”

“But?” He probed.

“But nothing, I’m free.”

“Awesome! So, I’ll pick you up at maybe ten, to get an early start?”

“Sure, I know some places we can go.”

“Great.”

They chatted aimlessly for the next few minutes, and Sky came to find that she really liked Zack. He was respectful, kind, they shared the same interests. He was perfect. Well, to her, at least.

After another twenty minutes, they were all done, and the bill was paid for. When they got outside, Alex kissed Amy once again, while smirking at Skylar, before walking to his car. After Zack and Skylar exchanged numbers and goodbyes, they were off as well.

“Ooh, Skylar has a date!”

She was the challenge he'd been waiting for…
♠ ♠ ♠
I understand that this is extra short, but I wanted to get it out. Plus, I started mapping out my chapters! So I'll get updates out sooner.
I'm pretty damn proud of myself.