Road to Nowhere

Hawley Christ

"I will have you removed if you don't stop. I have a little system of my own." -Charles Manson

The government was like a machine. Every movement systematic, every thought processed. The government operated in mysterious ways. There was always someone behind the curtains playing puppeteer. That was her job; she was the ultimate controller. She played by her own rules and there wasn't a damn thing anyone could do to stop her. The worst thing about that was, she knew just how much power she clutched. She held fast to the reins of society. Every since she took over the country had prospered. The prosperity of officials came at a high price for the people. Did she care? No, she never will.

Hawley Christ swiveled in her high-backed office chair. She sunk into the large cushions as she massaged her aching temples. The lifted the remote to the television sensor. The remote sailed across the room and collided with the beige walls. She chuckled to herself. She had finally lost the last grain of sanity she possessed.

The man dressed in a crisp black suit that filled the large television screen had just bullshitted his way through a press conference. President Worsher was the worst candidate for the job. Congress was now filled with a load of politically-challenged buffoons. What had this organization gotten itself into?

With slow steps, Hawley proceeded to cross the large corner office. She stopped at the large floor-length windows. She rested her head against the cool glass. She sighed. She pushed away from the close. She twirled through the wide open space. She danced to music that no one could hear. This was her place. This was the office of Hawley Christ.

She peered into the mirror that adorned the beautifully colored walls. The woman who stared back at Hawley Christ in the mirror was not who Hawley had been raised to be. She moved like Hawley. She talked with a southern accent and walked with a light sway. She had black hair and cerulean blue eyes, but surely this woman could not be Hawley Christ. The woman staring back at Hawley had power, she was leading a whole nation, she was the puppeteer.

Hawley returned to her chair. She opened her agenda. She had work to do. A knock came. She didn't rise to answer the door nor call out to the person on the other side of the mahogany door. She waited. The glass door handle turned. A beautiful man stepped through. She smiled. Without a word she gracefully approached the tall, broad-shouldered man. She balanced on the tips of her toes while he leaned down. Without hesitation, she pressed her lips to his.

In that moment Hawley felt changed.What a metamorphosis it was...

" I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe
♠ ♠ ♠
Another beautiful chapter from a few talented writers! Comment!