Road to Nowhere

Becca

Becca sat on the step, not moving an inch. She heard her mother speaking with another woman, probably the social worker. She'd learned, from her experience with other adopted children, that this was the routine. In awhile, they'd all be called in to eat dinner with the new addition.

She heard a baby let out a soft wail. A baby? Normally her mother picked them up as children or young adults, not babies. What could this be about?

She'd heard of Worsher taking babies from their mothers to raise them under his watch, and she figured this to be one of those babies. She took a deep breath. If they took in this baby, they'd have to ward off any soldiers that came to the door.

Becca felt someone small sit down beside her, and she looked over. Nellie held one of her dolls up to her, and she smiled.

"Yes," Becca said. "We're getting a new family member."

"Why?" Nellie said in her tiny voice.

"I don't know," Becca replied. "They can't live with their own mommy and daddy anymore."

"I heard a baby," said Nellie.

Becca nodded and stood up. "Come on, Nell. Let's go look."

She took her little sister's hand and led her to the foyer. She peeked around the wall, spying her mother talking to a young woman. She looked to be younger than Adam, and she was certainly not a baby. She was holding one, though, and this worried Becca.

Her mother turned and saw them. She smiled, waving them in, and Nellie did not hesitate at all at the opportunity to see a baby up close.

"Becca, come meet Mimi," her mother instructed.

The girl didn't seem like she was here for pleasantries, but Becca nodded to her anyway. Her mother continued to talk to the social worker, but Becca and Mimi never looked away from the awkward stares they were giving each other. Nellie pulled at Mimi's shirt, and Mimi looked down.

Nellie held up a tiny doll for Mimi, but Mimi was confused.

"What's this?" she asked.

"She wants to see your baby," Becca explained.

"You understood that?" Mimi snorted.

"She doesn't talk much," Becca replied. "You learn her language when you've lived with her for six years."

Mimi reluctantly held the baby down for Nellie to see. Nellie smiled and looked up at Mimi.

"Is she your sister?" Becca asked.

"No," snapped Mimi. "She's mine."

"Yours?" Becca said. "You gave birth to her? How- er- how old are you?"

"I'm fourteen," Mimi replied.

Another awkward silence grew between them as Dena showed the social worker back to her car. She turned back to the girls and smiled.

"Becca, I'm moving Nellie into your room so Mimi can have her own room with the baby," she said.

"That's fine," Becca said.

"Oh, Mimi these are my daughters Rebecca and Danielle," Dena said. "And- I'm sorry- what's your daughter's name, again?"

"Kimberly," Mimi said.

The pounding of feet coming down the steps resonated through the foyer. Becca looked back to see a small blonde boy with glasses jump off the last three steps, and she smiled at him.

"This is Tyler," Dena said. "If you have any troubles with him, just send him to Adam. Oh- Becca, where's Adam?"

Becca shrugged. Who knows where Adam was half the time? Usually in his room, but no one ever bothered him. He was an odd duck, but everyone loved him for who he was. She hoped this Mimi girl wouldn't be too rude to him.

"Well, Laura's getting dinner ready," Dena sighed. "Tyler, why don't you go get Adam. Nellie, you want to help me set the table?"

Nellie nodded vigorously.

"Alright," Dena said. "And Becca, you can show Mimi to her room. Jesse should be home any minute, I suppose. We're glad to have you, Mimi."

Mimi nodded but didn't say anything. Becca could tell already this girl was going to be a problem.
♠ ♠ ♠
Now that introductions are all somewhat over...what do you think? :D

Comments are loved by all!