I Can Transform You

Growing On Me

Image

POV: Frank

Gerard bought all the clothes I picked out for him, like the personal fucking style guru I am, and we made our way out of the shop.

“I’m glad that’s over,” he stated in relief.
I cocked an eyebrow at him.
“Oh, I’m sorry, am I not a fun enough person for you to shop with?” I scoffed, responding defensively.
“It’s the shopping part that I don’t like, you moron,” he retorted nonchalantly.

I almost wanted to laugh at his natural and casual response, but then I realised that he was insulting me by calling me a moron. So, then I wanted to make another defensive outburst.

“Hey! I- Wait…” (Then I realised that he had said it’s just the shopping he dislikes.) “What about me?”

I glanced sideways at him as we walked, my eyes searching his for an answer. He stared at me blankly.

“What about you?” He asked, oblivious to the fact that he had basically, kinda, just said he liked me.
“You don’t like me either,” I pointed out presumptuously.

My tone made it clear that it wasn’t a question; it was a fact. But Gerard decided to question the fact.

“Don’t I?” He arched an eyebrow at me, making me doubt what I thought I knew.
“Well, you told me you hated me earlier,” I reminded him flatly, forcing a shrug to let him know that I don’t care if he likes me or not.

His eyes showed hints of amusement and his lifts curled upwards. I didn’t get what was so funny. And I didn’t appreciate him fucking smirking at me.

“Well, yeah,” he replied shortly, looking thoughtful for a second. “But you’re starting to grow on me.”

I am? Well, it wasn’t very hard to win him over!

I didn’t know what to make of that. I wasn’t sure whether to be amused or worried that Gerard was falling into my trap so easily, and after so many years of hating me, he was starting to like me. Matty’s plan was actually working, and I was so sure it wouldn’t.

I also didn’t know how to feel, because hearing Gerard say that I’m growing on him made my heart lift inside my chest, and I had to fight the urge to smile. I kept my face expressionless, afraid to give away my true feelings because they made no sense to me.

I had no idea how to respond to Gerard’s confession either. I would normally just insult him, but I didn’t want to this time.

I could always be nice and tell him the truth… But then, what if he’s only joking? I’ll look like an idiot for saying I like him too.

And I am an idiot for liking him. This was never part of the plan...

“Well, you annoy the hell out of me,” I replied eventually, deciding to insult him. But seeing the hurt look in Gerard’s eye made me feel guilty about not telling the truth, and I reluctantly added “but you’re growing on me too, I guess.”

If in doubt, go for a truthfully nice insult!

I was not expecting to ever see the day when Gerard Way and I actually start to like eachother. We’ve always ‘hated’ one another. But I guess I never really knew Gerard before; he was just my victim because he was the easiest target, as he had hardly any friends and he never stuck up for himself.

Although, if he had not caught my eye the way he did on the first day of school, then I probably wouldn’t have paid any attention to him. I definitely would never have given him hell. There was just something about him that lured me in, and of course, I had to fight that. I can’t be attracted to Gerard… He’s a dude! And I’m not gay.

“This is weird,” Gerard replied, averting his eyes to the floor.
“You’re weird,” I muttered for no reason, just simply to insult him.

Gerard ignored my remark completely, and a brief silence filled the air. His eyes focused ahead to see where we were walking and he observantly realised where we were and stopped in his tracks.

“Wait,” he commanded, stopping to look over his shoulder at an alleyway we had just walked by that led to our school. I didn't wait. I don't follow commands from him. "Aren’t we going back to school?” He asked in worry, his inner-nerd breaking free.

“Nah, fuck school. Let’s go home,” I shrugged casually, still walking ahead in the direction of my parked car.
“But… I have marching band last period,” he announced hesitantly.

This made me stop in my tracks at once.

I span around on the spot to face Gerard with raised eyebrows, giving him my best ‘what-the-actual-fuck’ look. He dropped his gaze to the floor in embarrassment.

“Are you kidding me?” I demanded, waiting for and wanting Gerard to laugh and say he was joking.
“No! I’m the main trumpet player… They count on me!” He told me desperately, now looking determined as well as embarrassed.

Oh sweet Jesus!

“Dude, marching band is social suicide. You’ve got to quit!” I exclaimed adamantly, screwing my face up in disapproval.
“I can’t!” He shook his head furiously. “I’ve been a part of it for six years!”

You’d think he would have realised how lame it is in all those years…

“I’m going to pretend you didn’t just say that,” I shuddered, trying to erase the knowledge that Gerard had committed social suicide six years. It was going to be harder than I thought to bring him back to life socially…

“I’m not quitting. You can’t make me,” he folded his arms stubbornly, reminding me of a child.
“For fuck sake, Gerard,” I snapped short-temperedly. “I thought you wanted to be popular!”

It’s impossible to be in the marching band and be popular… Only the outcasts do it!

“I do… But it’s been a part of my life for six years! It was the only thing I had for so long,” he whined, literally sounding on the verge of tears.

Oh God.

I’ve seen Gerard cry before, and seeing him express his emotions that way had an unexplainable effect on me… I felt guilt and the urge to help him.


“Alright, alright, don’t fucking cry about it,” I held my hands up in surrender, not wanting to see him emotional like that again. “If you really have to, you can keep doing it… But do not tell anyone. Especially the guys,” I warned, knowing that my friends’ reactions would be cruel. Just like everyone else’s.

“Okay,” he mumbled, nodding his head obediently.

I just rolled my eyes at him, annoyed that he wasn’t going to sacrifice something as lame as marching band to achieve his popularity goal.

Everything was uncomfortably silent between us for a moment. We just faced eachother wordlessly; Gerard trying to focus his gaze everywhere but on me, whilst I was shooting him a piercing glare.

“Um… I better get back to school then,” he eventually broke the silence, rubbing his neck awkwardly. “I’ll see you later back at home… We can get ready for the party together… If you want,” he offered with a hopeful smile.

Shit. The party… I forgot that was happening. For fuck sake.

“Whatever,” I grunted, once again irritated by the fact that I wasn’t technically invited to the party. I felt like an outcast that was going to gatecrash it or something.

Gerard sighed at my lame response, and turned away from me and wandered off down the alleyway towards school. I just continued in my tracks towards my car.

***

Gerard didn’t get home from school till 5pm, by which time I was verging on insanity because I was so bored. I’d done nothing but watch TV and just be an ass almost all day. I was actually desperate to get partying now.

My boredom disappeared as soon as Gerard returned. He does a good job of keeping me entertained, really.

“How was marching band?” I asked flatly, trying to hide my annoyance, as soon as Gerard entered the bedroom. I was lying on my bed watching TV, but I pointed the remote and muted the sound, so I could talk to him properly.

“It was good,” Gerard mumbled, and I got the feeling he detected my mood, even though I at least tried to hide it this time. “Your friends are really cool,” he added randomly, bringing up a totally unrelated subject.

Well, I hope it was unrelated… Or have all my friends suddenly joined marching band too?!

I cocked an eyebrow at him, looking at him sceptically.
“They are?” I questioned, sitting up a little straighter on my bed, waiting for an explanation.

Gerard walked across the room, taking off his leather jacket as he went and tossing it on the floor, and then collapsed on his bed with his hands behind his head, looking relaxed.

“Sure. They were real nice to me today,” he informed me brightly.

That’s because they’re on a mission to fool you into thinking they’re your friends…

I had to bite my tongue to stop myself voicing my immediate thoughts and giving the plan away.

“Oh right… That’s, uh, good then,” I spoke awkwardly, trying to ignore the guilt that was stabbing me in the stomach.

The guilt is permanently in the back of my mind. This fucking plan is taking its toll on me.

“So, what time does the party start?” I questioned, changing the subject swiftly.
“Seven, but Matty said I can go round earlier if I want to,” Gerard answered, and I swear he sounded smug.

Once again, I get no invitation. I’m hearing it second-hand...

I narrowed my eyes at Gerard, but he didn’t meet my gaze. He was staring at his ceiling with a smile on his face as he lay on his back.

“I better fucking be allowed round earlier too,” I grumbled, feeling left out.

Gerard suddenly seemed to realise that I was not happy for him, I was pissed off, because he turned to look at me, wiping his smile off his face.

“Oh, yeah, I’m sure you’re welcome too,” he said quickly, making it obvious that Matty had not mentioned me at all.

Matty’s house is like my second house… I’ve never felt the need to be invited round before, but this time, for some reason, I did NOT feel welcome.

I grunted in response and fell back on my bed.

Welcome or not, I’m going.
♠ ♠ ♠
First of all, sorry for the mega slow update. It wasn't because I was stuck for ideas this time... I got really annoyed because I wrote the whole chapter like 2 weeks ago, and then my computer crashed and I lost it. *Throws computer out of window*

Plus, I've been to preoccupied with all the MCR stuff that's been happening recently. (Anyone else seeing MCR on their World Contamination Tour?!)

So yeah, I only just got round to re-writing it. Thankyou for being so patient with this story.

And especially thanks to those who commented:
reject_revenge
michelle-y
TheFabulousKilljoys
Shed your Yellow
Annalia
XxVesperusxX
haushinka1039
xGeex
ella_cage
Lotte_music
fabulous killjoy
Lesbianwooman
Sweet Pandemonium
MyBeautifulGeemance
frankierxlover
Psyche Adrenaline
queenfreddiemercury
chesterthehobo

<3

P.S - I wrote a frerard one-shot the other day. Check it out if you want: I Miss You :)

-xoxo