Status: New

A Loaded God Complex

I tend to Stray

It was Sunday. It was Sunday and I had to go to church. My family all piled into the mini-van, groomed and dressed in our best. Everything was progressing as usual, we chose a spot in the back, my brother fell asleep at least once, and by the end of it all the men had loosened their ties. And as per usual we all drove directly back to my house to have our family breakfast. The pancakes and bacon were made and we had all gathered around completely filling our table. My mother seemed squirmy and we hadn't prayed yet. She jumped on queue when the doorbell rang.

"I didn't even know we had a doorbell." My sister muttered and took a nibble of bacon.

"Put that back, Kaylee." My father scolded and we all snickered as she shamefully placed her hands in her lap.

"Oh, look who we have." My mother came back in with a girl around twenty. She could have been in a magazine, timidly she greeted everyone with a small wave. "This is Jessie, she just got back from a mission trip."

"Can ya'all call me Jessica?" She smiled and stated with grit teeth. Miss America wasn't going to have a thing on her.

"Sounds wonderful." My dad commented, "Pull up a chair, have some breakfast." He then offered warmly. Jenny bowed her head in acceptance.

"You can sit by me." Benjamin started scooting over. My mother ignored him and put the chair next to me, silently I moved over.

"Now," My mom rubbed her hands together, set them on her hips and smiled at the group. "This is Mr. Kirche, Kaylee, Benjamin, and Mason." She motioned to each of us. "Catherine is at college at the moment."

"Lovely to meet you all."

"Can we eat now?" Ben whined.

"Yes, yes." My father's voice bellowed and he shook his head. Once everyone was ready he led us in a prayer, I couldn't keep my eyes closed. Squinting, I observed the girl sitting next to me.

"Eggs?" Kaylee passed the dish over to me, which I gave away as soon as I got it.

"So," My mother kicked my foot under the table.

"What was your mission trip like, Jessie?" I asked without looking at her and took a small bite. I could tell she was a little grossed out by me.

"Jessica..." She reminded this time with less of a smile and then started with her stories.

I didn't eat much, but I had to listen to tons. All Jessie did was talk about herself and her mission trip, it was hard to keep interest. Instead, I ate a few mouthfuls of pancakes and sipped my glass of orange juice. There wasn't a single moment where she showed interest in me, or my family. Still, they were transfixed with her, was I supposed to be? Ben sure was…

Not surprisingly, I was the first done, unwillingly at initially my mother excused me from the table. Halfway through the hallway to my room she caught up with me. I was cornered between my shut door, the wall and my mother. She had her arms crossed and was tapping her foot.

"You do realize that the Simpsons and Kirches have been in the town since it was founded? It would be a good safe match for you. I invited Jessica over here for you Mason Russell Kirche."

"I know, Mom." I avoided her glare and concentrated on my feet, "I don't want a girlfriend."

Letting out an exasperated groan, she pivoted back towards the kitchen. By the time she had reached it I knew she had put on a pleasant face. It was the way I could tell, I could hear her from the hallway trying to reassure Jennifer how good of a kid I was.

"Don't worry about him. He's just feeling a little under the weather today."

Gripping the door handle until my knuckles turned white I went into my room. I'd have to wait until she left before I could do anything or see anyone. Sliding on my puffer vest I popped out the screen in my window and climbed through. There was no way I was sitting in my room with nothing. And there was definitely no way I was going back out there to be bored senseless and numb.

Birds chattered and squirrels took no notice of me as they gathered their portions for winter. Unsure if Nicole was home yet from the baptism she was going to after church, I hoped Raya would be the next safest bet. I wasn't on the best of terms with Pete, if he knew or not I wasn't certain. Anxious, I took a shortcut through the woods, I thought it wouldn't be a big deal. Raya and I had done it tons of times.

"Get out of here boy!" A voice called from a tree. Startled I stumbled back and froze, "This is private property! Git git!" He ranted and threatened.

I panicked and swiftly walked back the direction I came from. My heart beat returned to normal and I was strolling safely along a sidewalk complete with sagging telephone lines- I recognized that voice. It made sense, I was on their land…
♠ ♠ ♠
heh-heh