Status: Updated randomly but hopefully once a week

Help! I'm Housing a Hero

Chapter 2: Danger

Out of the crowd I felt a warm hand close around my wrist. I looked down to shake whoever was holding me off when I realized it was Andrew.

“Sorry to come between you guys, but Riel and I were going to study for our upcoming midterms. We both have to work so we don’t have much time. Please excuse us.” I don’t know how he did it but he managed to pull me through the crowd and out to safety. He politely ignored the questions they asked and continued to lead me forward.

“It seems you are making her more upset with your questions and I think we all can agree yesterday wasn’t the safest day our school has seen. We really must be going.” He said

“No further questions.”

“Are you her boyfriend?”

“Does Hero know about you?”

“Are you the one that left her in the school?”

“Has she told you anything else?”

They continued to fire questions but they didn’t follow us. He ignored them and we were safely on our way. I looked back in disbelief but no one was following us.

“Thanks.”I said and Andrew released his hold on my wrist.

“Sure.” He replied.

“You could get in trouble and mixed up with this media scandal, though.” I said, trying to warn him that rumors might start to spring up about him as well.”

“I t happens it happens.” He said. I was really appreciative that he must have known that might happen but he still was willing to pull me out. I guess he was still feeling guilty about not being there for the buddy system.

“About yesterday-“ I said.

“I am sorry I wasn’t there for you.” He cut me off, “I guess I figured someone might be nice enough to gain an extra buddy and help them out.”

“It’s ok. It was my fault for falling asleep. I guess I didn’t think a scientist would actually break into our school. The alarms are always for something more in the city. It was my fault I didn’t get out in time.”

HE was silent. I guess he thought that I might be really angry at him because if he had been there all the media attention wouldn’t have fallen into my lap. I really didn’t want to blame anyone.

“At least I got out all right.” I said, “Aside from this.” I gestured to my side.

“Don’t you need to see the doctor?” He asked.

“I’m fine.” I said, “They’ll just charge me a really high price to tell me there isn’t anything they can do, and then they’ll prescribe some sky high priced pain killers that I really can’t afford.”

He was silent as though thinking, “Do you mind if I ask about your parents?” he asked. Did he think they could possibly provide some help?

“I do.” I said, not wanting to talk about them. “Dad died by an evil scientist’s robot, and Mum remarried some guy that wanted to lock me away in a boarding school. That’s all you need to know.” I said trying to make it sound like I wasn’t going to say any more. I was thankful that he wasn’t bringing up anything about Hero or my romance with him. I guess he was smarter than I gave him credit for and he could see through the media’s lies.

“Do you mind if I ask one thing about yesterday?” He asked. I knew it. He was too good to be true. But for some reason I didn’t have any apprehension about answering a question for him. After all, he DID get me away from the crowd.

“The media isn’t paying you to get information are they?” I asked, half jokingly. HE didn’t take it as a joke and I felt I may have hurt his feelings. I sighed, he was either really dense to sarcasm or he didn’t think this situation should be joked about. “Ask away.” I said.

“How did you survive the smoke?”

I had readied myself for one of the numerous already-answered questions about Hero, I hadn’t expected him to ask a question about me. It didn’t seem anyone was concerned about me when asking questions. Maybe that was why I was so angry and frustrated.

“I-uh.” I started, “I’m not really sure. I just covered my nose with my shirt.”

“I know- but didn’t the media say you were in there for two hours?”

“I’m not sure how credible the media is. For all I know the smoke could have been the stuff to wake me up.”

“It had been flowing in there for a while. Plus-“ He paused as though something was bothering him, “Two other students were found dead in the classrooms. You’re the only one that survived.”

“What?!” I nearly screeched, “Two students died and they aren’t all over the news?” How could anyone think a petty story like being rescued by Hero was more important than reporting the unfortunate deaths. Was the media really so sick that death didn’t matter to them anymore?

“I know.” He said silently as though understanding.

“DO you know who they are? Maybe the next time the media comes knocking I’ll let them know which story they should really be focusing on.”

“I think they were Amanda Lucas and Richmond Dez. They were both buddies but somehow didn’t get out. Maybe the windows automatically locked before they were able to escape. Hero found them after taking care of the scientist.”

“That’s just awful.” I said, “That really makes me mad.”

“Still the smoke is a mystery.”

“Maybe I’m just immune to whatever was in the smoke. Do you think that’s possible?”

“Well, Hero survived.” He answered.

“Of course Hero survived.” I grumbled, “He’s impervious to everything.”

We arrived at the intersection between my house and the bar. I could see people already filing in to the bar. I figured I had better go get changed.

“Thanks for rescuing me form that crowd” I said gratefully. He smiled slightly in response but looked as though he had something else on his mind. “I think I’ll get ready for work. See you Saturday?” I asked, remembering we were supposed to study.

“Sure.” He said and watched me as I walked to the shoddy building of my home. When I turned around to wave good bye he was gone. I opened the door and started marching up the numerous flights of stairs.

“Riel?” Ms. Hodgens called as she heard me pass her door.

“Yes, Ms. Hodgens?” I asked, back tracking a few steps. She opened her door and I saw that she had numerous curlers in her hair.

“Tonight I want you to take a break form that job of yours and come with me. I haven’t been out in ages and I think tonight will be a good opportunity for you to relax.”

“Ms. Hodgens, I can’t.” I said.

“I told you I would lower your rent if you ran some errands for me. Consider this an errand.”

“But Ms. Hodgens, I need that job to pay for the rent you lowered.”

“I won’t take no for an answer.” She said and shut the door behind her, “Be ready at six. Wear something nice.”

I couldn’t just not go to work. Besides, I was sure there were going to be crowds tonight again and they were going to need all the help they could get. I guess it couldn’t be helped. I walked back down the stairs and out the front door. I walked across the street and into the bar.

“Riel, you’re here early. Shouldn’t you be resting?” Derreck, one of the male bar tenders asked.

“That’s why I’m here. I’ve got a dilemma. Is Hank here?”

“Yeah he’s in the back. Oh, hey is your side ok? Natalie told me about it. You’re all over the news.”

“Tell me something I don’t know.” I groaned and he smiled knowingly. I walked towards the back and found Hank washing glasses.

“Hey Hank.” I said announcing my presence.

“Riel, back again? I don’t think I can have you working tonight if you’re in pain.”

“That’s kind of why I’m here.” I said, “My landlady has me do all sorts of odd jobs.”

“Yes I remember you talking about that.” He said.

“Well she wants me to go with her to something tonight. She won’t take no for an answer.”

“Good.” Hank said, “You need a break, I couldn’t think of a good enough excuse to make you take one.”

“But won’t you guys be busy tonight?” I asked.

“Probably, but it isn’t something we can’t handle. Take it easy until your rib heals.”

“Thanks, Hank.” I said and turned to go.

“Oh, Riel wait a sec.” I turned around and he opened his drawer. He extracted something and tossed it towards me. I caught it and saw that it was a new bottle of Advil. “Natalie told me to give you that. She said you probably still hadn’t had time to get something for yourself.”

“Thanks.” I said and stuffed the pills in my pocket. Natalie was always like a best friend to me. I popped open the lid and threw back two pills with some water before leaving the bar.

“See you later.” Derreck said as I walked out the door. I waved good bye. I walked back over my apartment and made my way completely up the stairs. I didn’t exactly have any really nice outfits. I wasn’t even sure what we were going to tonight. All I knew was I wasn’t going to like changing out of something too intricate. I chose a simple button down collared shirt and I decided to keep my jeans on.

I waited for about a half an hour for the Advil to take some of the edge off of the pain before removing my shirt and replacing it with the other one. I was surprised to find that buttoning a shirt was much easier than sliding one over my head. I’d have to make a mental note to find some more button down shirts in the future.

I put some water on the stove to boil. I had a couple packs of Ramen left. Maybe after my study session tomorrow with Andrew I would be able to do some shopping. When it began to boil I threw in the noodles and then the packet of seasoning. When it was finished I removed it from the heat and poured the contents into a cracked bowl. I brought it over to my glass table and opened one of my note books. I slowly ate the meager meal and read the notes trying to retain as much information as I could. I had trouble concentrating because I couldn’t help thinking how two students’ deaths had been surpassed for news on Hero. I closed m book with an unsatisfied thump and poured the rest of the broth form my noodles down the sink and went over to my bed. I still had a good bit of time before Ms. Hodgens wanted to head out. Maybe I could get some sleep again.

I went over to my bed and carefully eased myself down. I set my alarm to go off a few minutes before six so that I would have time to spruce up and meet Ms. Hodgens at her room. I closed my eyes a drifted uneasily off to sleep.

When my buzzer signaled time to get up I slapped it off and yawned. I had to admit, it would be a nice break from work, especially now that I had a little extra cash. I made sure my clothes weren’t too wrinkled and I shut and locked my door behind me. I walked down the stairs just as Ms. Hodgens was coming out of her room.

“Right on time.” She said as she heard me creaking down the stairs. “We’re going to that grand opening celebration tonight. Heard they’re going to have fireworks and everything. I haven’t seen fireworks since my last husband was alive. Let’s get going before we get stopped in traffic.” I followed her outside and she led me to her car. I hadn’t ridden in a car since I was a little kid. Mum always walked places or had her boyfriends pick her up in their cars. I always had jobs close to home so I could easily get back to my siblings if something should go wrong. The car was old and smelled strongly of cigarette smoke. As soon as I was sitting I hand cranked the window open to let out some of the hazy stench. I had just about enough of smoke to last me a life time.

She creakily sat in the driver’s seat and put the keys in the ignition. The car roared to life and we backed out of the garage. The part of town we were heading towards was only about an hour’s walk away. I knew I could have made it on foot like I normally did but I knew Ms. Hodgens was too old to make the journey. I didn’t mind getting a relaxing car drive anyway. I did have an odd sinking feeling in my stomach about the fireworks, though. In Hero’s letter he said something about fireworks. I hoped he wasn’t planning on doing something insufferable in front of a crowd. Maybe he had also given Ms. Hodgens a letter and this was why she was dragging me to this event.

“Ms. Hodgens did you also get a letter from Hero?” I asked.

“Who?"

“That boy on the news all the time?”

She stared blankly at me. I realized she probably didn’t have a television set, or even a radio for that matter. “That boy in the costume that dropped off the letter yesterday. Did he give you one as well?”

“Yes.” She said, “He invited both you and I to come to this event tonight.”

“Why didn’t you say that before?” I asked, wanting to avoid the attention at all costs. Or at least maybe I’d have the chance to speak my mind to him in front of a crowd. None the less he was planning something.

“I didn’t think it was important.” She said, “It was just a boy in a dark blue outfit.”

“Actually his outfit is black.” I corrected, maybe she thought it was navy blue.

“No I’m sure it was blue.” She said, “I’m not so old I can’t see colours.” She huffed. “You should be hanging out with boys your age anyway. He was polite and ask me to specifically bring you along.”

I groaned. I didn’t need a match maker in my life and I certainly didn’t need to be hooked up with a super hero. I had enough of my own problems to worry about. There really wasn’t much I could do about it now. I leaned my head back on the head rest and watched the scenery go by.

When we finally arrived at the new building I could see huge spotlights lighting up the area. A stage had been constructed out front for speech making and announcements. I could see a huge banner across the front of the building labeling the structure as being a new Center for children to come and learn. It was like a type of daycare learning environment for those that were not able to take care of their kids while they were at work. I understood why Hero would be here promoting it. He stood for all things good and right. What was more righteous than supporting the opening of a charity building for kids?

Ms. Hodgens parked the car and I got out of my door to help her out. She leaned heavily on my bad arm as she nearly used me as a rock climbing wall to get out of her seat. I gritted my teeth and pulled her to her feet.

“Now, let’s go get a seat before the festivities start. They’re putting this on for the kids/ I think you’ll enjoy it.” She led me forward. I had never been to a building opening event before I never realized they were such a big deal. People were walking around in suits and offering champagne and other fancy drinks to the people around. Ms. Hodgens swiped two off of one of the server’s platter and gulped both of them down. I could see that smoking wasn’t her only problem. I followed her to the front of where the crowd was beginning to gather. They were getting ready around the constructed stage. It wasn’t long before a line of finely dressed people approached the stage and sat on chairs along the back row. The audience politely clapped as the first man began to speak.

He talked about what the children’s center would be and what it would stand for. I didn’t pay much attention. I was too busy looking around for Hero. I didn’t want him to pop out somewhere. I wondered if he was out of his disguise and posing as a normal patron. I tried to see if anyone looked muscular but with everyone wearing suits I couldn’t tell much of anything.

Another couple of people came to the microphone and thanked many of the people and businesses that made this possible. I sighed hoping that he really wouldn’t show, but why would he spend so much time getting my landlady out of her house to drag me here? Had e bribed her or something? Was something going to happen?

“I would now like to announce one of the most generous people of this project. He has funded the entire construction project and has put in some incredible input. Would you please join me in welcoming the man that does not wish to be named.” The man at the microphone took a step back and the doors of the building opened and out stepped a boy in a suit. It wasn’t a normal suit, it was a dark blue spandex suit. He had a mask over his face and his large belly was hanging out of the bottom of his shirt. I was pretty sure my jaw wasn’t the only one that dropped when he walked up to the microphone. The polite clapping had kind of died in amazement.

“Thank you.” He said to the remaining clappers that were showing their appreciation a little too enthusiastically. It seemed they were the only ones that knew who he was or at least expected this freak show to appear. “It is true, I do not wish to be thanked personally for this project. That is why I appear to you in this uniform. I would like to thank you all for coming and I want to welcome you all to the new Children’s Center.”

The crowd cheered as he lifted the bright red ribbon with the support of the other people on the stage and cut through it with some large golden scissors. Plenty of pictures were taken and the infamous news crew appeared. They shoved microphones under his nose like they had to me for more statements and they tried to figure out which billionaire he was.
“Thank you thank you.” He continuously repeated but he did not reveal his identity. I wouldn’t want to reveal who I was after wearing that get up in front of a crowd either. He looked ridiculous. I wondered if this was the ‘boy’ that had come to our house the other night. Maybe he only seemed like a boy to Ms. Hodgens because she was so old, but he was nowhere near my age. I was horrified when he glanced at Ms. Hodgens and I and actually started walking towards us. He offered for the crowd to go in the building and check out the structure before setting off the fireworks. The sky needed to darken a little bit anyway.
The crowd made a mad dash towards the building and Ms. Hodgens did the same. I wanted to follow her but to my surprise the man in the blue suit stopped me.

“Well, well, well, if it isn’t Ms. Riel.” He said.

“How do you know me?” I asked taking a step back from him.

“Why, your lovely face is all over the news.” He grinned.

“Ms. Hodgens.” I called, wanting her to wait for me. She had already disappeared into the crowd.

“Let her be. Talk with me for a while.” He said and took my right hand in his. He lifted it to his lips and placed a wet kiss on the back of my hand. I made a show of wiping the drool left behind on my pants leg. I disapproved. He smiled.

“Spunky like they said on the news cast. I wonder if anything else on the news is true?”
“I’d really like to check out the building.” I said and took another step away from him. I didn’t even know this guy. Sure he was polite, but he was also a little creepy, not to mention the pudge poking through some of his spandex suit was leaving imprints like cottage cheese all around his body.

“Stay out here where the air is nice.” He crooned and took my hand. I shook it from his grasp. I might be injured but not helpless. I hoped this wasn’t some kind of joke. Was I being set up for candid camera? All I needed was my face on the news as the partner of yet another male dressed up in a suit. Who knew what the next headline would be? The girl that gets around with super heroes? Heaven forbid they create a headline that mentions me having a fetish for men dressing up in costumes. I did have to admit that Hero looked much better in his costume, but compared to this guy anyone would look good in this type of costume.

“Were you the one that sent my landlady and I those messages?” I asked. A grin spread across his face. So it wasn’t Hero that sent me that love letter. It was him! I felt my gag reflex wanting to kick in. I felt a little better knowing the hero that defended our streets while we slept wasn’t such a sleaze. In fact I felt a little dumb thinking that someone like that even had time for a relationship. I figured even he would know the dangers of having a girlfriend. I was relieved but grossed out at the same time.

“I’m glad you decided to come tonight.” He said.

“I was forced here.” I spat, “I could be working, I’m sure you don’t know much about that.” He probably had money coming out of his ears since before he was born.
He chuckled at my fiery words. “I see why he likes you.” The blue man said, “you’re able to defend yourself rather well. He’d need a tough girl like you.”

“What are you talking about?” I asked. He just continued to chuckle. I took another few steps away before walking into the building. I wanted to tell Ms. Hodgens that I was going to walk home on foot. I looked around for her but the building was so huge I couldn’t immediately see her. I must have searched for about twenty minutes before nearly giving up. She’d be angry but I figured after a while she’d just leave. She knew I walked everywhere anyway. I was about to check one more room when the blue man appeared behind me.

“If you’re looking for you land lady I sent her home. I said I would bring you later.” He grinned and politely held out his arm for me to take it.

“You did what?” I asked. He just smiled and continued to hold his arm out towards me. “Do you realize I’ve got a broken rib and numerous other injuries from the attack yesterday? I don’t want to have to walk home if I didn’t have to.” I had every intention of walking home but I didn’t want him to think that was the reason for me coming into this building. I sure as heck wasn’t going to get into his car.

“I’ll find another ride.” I said and brushed passed him. He grabbed my wrist.

“I insist.” He said and roughly wrapped my arm around his and we descended the stairs. When he got to the bottom he addressed the crowd. “If everyone would like to head outside the fireworks show is about to begin. Thank you all for coming, but I am afraid I need to take leave immediately.”

He pulled me outside and the crowd followed. Large sparkling fireworks were already exploding over head. I tried to jerk my hand away but he held my bad arm against him and it was impossible.

“I’ll make a scene.” I said after he chuckled at my attempt to free myself.

“Will you now?” I saw a flash of something shiny and metal appear out of who knows where. It was a gun and it was pointed right at my face.

“Are you crazy?” I asked.

“Of course not.” He said, “but I always get what I want.”

“Why do you want me? You could have any girl.”

“You aren’t just any girl. You’re HIS girl.”

He walked towards a limo and the backdoor flung open. IN one painful lift he pushed me in and slid in next to me. “Onward, Gerald.” He said and the car quietly raced into the night.

“I take it you’re not going to go by my apartments are you?” I asked.

“Not until I have him safely under my roof.”

“Who?” I asked. He laughed loudly.

“You almost have me fooled, but you can’t hide it.”

“Hide what?”

“Your boyfriend, of course, Hero. This could all be over with faster if you called him to rescue you, but I’d prefer it if you waited until we got to my house. You see I’ve got this plan all set up.”

“Wait-“ I interrupted, “You think he’s my boyfriend too? Are you all insane? I don’t have time for a boyfriend. Rumors are like wildfire, geez.”

“As I was saying, I don’t want you calling him to rescue you just yet so please forgive me for doing this.” He pulled a dripping rag out of a nearby champagne bucket and pressed it to my face. It smelled awful and strong and slightly of ammonia. It made my eyes burn and tear up. I tried to hold my breath but he held it so long I had to eventually breathe. After a few moments I coughed as I began tasting the strong substance in my mouth.

“What are you doing?’ I grumbled out.

“Interesting.” He said, “usually that works.”

“What works?”

“Well this normally makes all my females pass out.” He said, “males too.”

“You were trying to make me pass out?” I asked and coughed once more. My nose hairs burned and my eyes continued to water, but otherwise I felt mostly normal. I wondered if he was attempting to knock me out like people did in the movies with a strong smell.

“Well, It’s never failed before.” He sounded slightly amused. “I suppose that boyfriend of yours gave you some kind of antidote to take to protect yourself from attacks like this?”

“He’s not my boyfriend and I don’t take drugs.”

“Your lies do sound convincing.” He said, “You would make a great criminal.”

“You would make a great impression of a beached whale.” I mumbled and shoved myself away from him.” His polite manor was fading and he seemed to be a little frustrated.

“I suppose I should have expended as much from a hero’s girlfriend. Of course he wouldn’t leave her alone unprotected all of the time.”

I rolled my eyes and sighed. Would nothing get through to this guy? Maybe his suit was on too tight.

We drove the rest of the way in silence. It was about a good forty five minutes before the car stopped and rolled up to an extremely large house overhanging rocky cliffs. I had never been this far out of the city before. I didn’t know we had an ocean so close.

He acted like he was going to pull me from the car, but I’m sure being pulled by my bad arm was going to be much more painful than if I was pushed. As much as I didn’t want to I slid across the seat and exited the car on my own. Of course he wouldn’t let me do any walking on my own and he took my hand in his once more. He led me away from the front door and instead to a set of stairs on the side of the house. I was a little surprised not to see an elevator. It seemed this guy didn’t go out much. We ascended the stairs and I was amused that he was out of breath after the short climb. Even Ms. Hodgens at her age did a better job of climbing than he did and she was a smoker.

“In the elevator.” He said and pulled me through the door. He pressed a button on the side of the wall. And after a small ding two white doors opened and he pushed me in. He pressed the topmost button which looked like the fifth floor and we rode silently up. When the doors opened again there were two people standing outside the door. The man had a black cloth in his hands and the woman had what looked like ropes coiled around her arms. He pulled me towards a chair and pushed me down. Immediately the girl wrapped the rope around and around my body tying me to the chair. I gasped as she went over my rib.

“Ouch! Watch it.” I said.

“Careful of her rib.” The blue man said from another part of the room. He said that like it was an afterthought that he forgot to mention.

“Oops.” The girl said unapologetically and only slightly adjusted the rope. I didn’t have much time to look around before the man came and painfully tied the black cloth over my eyes. I couldn’t see much of anything, though I could slightly see underneath the cloth. It didn’t take a genius to realize we were in a lab. Great, he was another one of those scientists bent on claiming the world as his own.

“What’s the point of blindfolding me?” I asked as I heard someone heavy footed come back into the room. I could only assume it was him. “I’m already blinded from the sight of you in those tights.” I grumbled. “I’ve already seen your lab too- not much of a mystery there.”

“I just don’t want you to see who I am, my dear.” He said. I could see that form underneath the blindfold he had changed into a white suit.

“Well, thanks for saving me from seeing something else detestable.” I said. He didn’t chuckle at my rudeness this time. Actually, I wasn’t used to being this rude, I was a pretty polite girl. Remember when I said had been a teacher’s pet? I was also the one that taught my younger siblings manners. I guess I was putting up a tough girl act even though I was starting to feel a little worried. After all I was tied up in a strange man’s house and I was pretty sure no one was concerned about me especially Hero.

I felt the man place his hand son my chair and he began rolling me around his lab. “I’ve got this amazing plan set up. You see, I like to collect things as well as do experiments. I want Hero for my collection and I wouldn’t mind doing some tests on him.” He chuckled with glee.
“What kind of tests?” I asked but I wasn’t really concerned. I was working on getting my wrists free of the ropes. I wondered if it was really possible to do like in the movies. I felt the ropes slide and chafe my skin, but I was sure with some determination I could free myself.
“I mostly want to see how much pain he can withstand. He’s obviously caused me plenty of pain in the past. So I figured I would return the favor.”

Pain inflicted on anyone was unacceptable, but I figured since I didn’t know how long I was going to be here I might as well entertain him and act interested. Maybe I could even help Hero if he did actually come to save me. Not that I needed saving at the moment. For now I was pretty sure I could take care of myself, or at least I seemed to think that I could. I wasn’t exactly in the best situation I’d ever been in my life, and I was pretty sure I’d never been blindfolded and tied to a chair, but I was going to try and free myself before asking some super hero to help me. He was probably out saving the world and didn’t need some petty girl crying out for him just because she was tied up.

“How did he cause you pain?” I asked, trying to sound as uninterested as I could. I felt my chair pushed and the man began talking as he scooted me across his lab.

“He has destroyed all of my plans, my million dollar robots, and two of my labs. But now I’ve collected enough data to hold him down. I will torture him until he falls apart, I can’t wait to hear him scream.”

“You really don’t like him do you?” I asked and then a plan was forming in my head. If I could get him on my side, and I could pretend to understand what he was going to do, I could figure out how to help Hero, if he even needed help.

“Well that’s one thing we have in common.” I said, and I felt one of the ropes slightly slip from my wrist.

“What’s that?” He asked and wheeled me around to another part of the room.

We both don’t like him.” I said.

“But you’re his girlfriend- oh I see, you’re playing the old switcheroo. You’re trying to get on my good side to figure out my plan and rescue your lover boy.”

I had to admit this guy was keen. He wasn’t like the stupid mad scientists you read about in the comic books, but still, I wasn’t going to give up.

“Where did you learn that he was my boyfriend? I’ve barely even spoken three sentences to him. He’s less familiar to me than you are, I’ve at least been to YOUR house.”

“He has a house?” He asked, avoiding my question. I actually didn’t know. I mean, I’m sure he did have one, but I didn’t know where he would live. He was probably more busy than me and didn’t sleep, or at least it seemed like he was so busy he didn’t have time to sleep.

“I’m sure he does.” I said. I wriggled one wrist free. I could feel the burn of chafing but I had managed freedom for pain. The man wheeled me around to another part of the room and continued telling me of his plans.

“After I’ve discovered the amount of pain he can handle, and if he’s still alive, I’ll run him through some experiments. I want to see how fast he is, then how strong, then how much stamina he has.” He began to walk away from me and around his lab as though he was trying to check on some of his experiments.

“How do you plan on getting him to do all of these things? DO you have a cage to hold him? Maybe some Kryptonite to subdue him? Oh wait, we’re not in a comic book. In case you haven’t realized, he’s a super hero he could crush you like a bug!”

“Not with my leverage, my dear.” He said, “I’ve got something better than Kryptonite. I’ve got you.”

IN my rage I ripped the remaining ropes from my arms and stood sending the rolling chair flying back. It crashed into one of his lab tables knocking it over and lots of glass shattered behind me. I ripped the blindfold off my face and glared at him. He was wearing a white suite and a bowler hat, but he must have realized I would try to get free because he also wore a white mask over his eyes.

“Very impressive.” He said and took a few wary steps towards me, “did he lend you some of that strength too?”

“This is the strength of an enraged female! I’m more dangerous than him right now. How can I get it through your head that I’m not his girl? He won’t come for me, and you’re going to have a really tough time trying to get me to call to him, because it seems unless I do he won’t come.”

“I’m not a fan of hurting women, but that doesn’t mean I won’t.”
I crossed my arms across my chest, ignoring the pain in my side and I tried to give him a look that tried to let him know that if he tried anything I would overcome my rib pain and deal him the same treatment as the scientist in my school.

“Well, I suppose now that you’re out of the chair I can’t exactly hide anything from you. How about a tour of my lab? Oh and don’t try to escape, even with that ‘female rage’ of yours I doubt you could break down these doors. They’re four feet thick of bulletproof steel and the windows are five stories up. You wouldn’t survive even if he heard you scream.”
I hadn’t planned on escaping yet, I had only been thinking of getting myself free from the chair. I wasn’t very good at making up plans as I went along. I hadn’t exactly thought how I would escape after I was free.

“This is my main lab.” He gestured with his hand, “I make all the potions here. I double as a pharmacologist also. Almost any drug you get in the store comes from these counters right here.”

I remembered back to the Advil Natalie had given me. If I found out he made it I would never take pills again. I’d rather be in pain than support his business.

“I of course have plenty of staff that come and make the products. I just watch over them, but tonight as you can see we are alone except for my butler and maid.” He came over to me and took my bad arm in his.

“So you’ve got a broken rib, eh? I can give you some pain killer for that.” He held up a syringe with a long needle and a yellowish liquid inside.

“I prefer pain.” I said and tried to take a step away, plus I was sure whatever was in that syringe wasn’t used for painkilling.

“Suit yourself, but if you act up, I’m licensed to give vaccinations.” He then took my arm in his and led me out of the lab and into a small hallway. IN the hallway I saw many glassed in shelves and it looked like there were weapons of all kinds sitting there on display. He started pointing to some of the and naming what they did. I wasn’t interested in learning about them until he pointed to a tiny silver ball in a metal barred cage.

“That little thing there can be easily ingested. Once it hits the stomach acids BOOM!” He yelled so loudly that it surprised me and I jumped.

” Last time I tried it , it exploded for a fifty foot radius. One of my personal favourites. Even Hero wouldn’t survive something like that, or at least I don’t think he would.”

He continued to lead me down the hall and opened a door to another room. My jaw dropped when I saw what was in here. We were on a small balcony and the rest of the room went all the way down to the first floor and it even looked like it went to the basement. There were five huge robots all the way to the ceiling. I couldn’t help but gasp. Was that doorway a direct portal into a comic book. It felt like I was looking in a science fiction geek’s collector’s house. I then noticed something familiar about the robots. I couldn’t put my finger on it, but I knew there was something about them that I had probably seen in the news about them.

“These aren’t quite ready yet, but I’ll knock that hero out of the sky one way or another. For now I’m going to try this approach. I’d rather kill him with my own hands, but if that fails I’ll send these guys after him.”

“You’re insane. You’ll kill everyone.”

“Then I’ll just repopulate the world and rule it as the world’s king.”

“You’re delusional.”

“Come come there is more to see.” He said proudly. The great heavy door swung shut behind us and I heard plenty of clicking and creaking as all the locks replaced themselves.

Hours went by and every time I thought we had finally seen the end of his house and numerous weapons there were more doors. There was still no sign of Hero and I wasn’t any closer to caving in.

“Of course after I’ve shown you all this you know I can’t allow you to leave the house. Even if you did attempt to escape I’d hunt you down so you’d better not tell anyone. I don’t really have to worry about a simple girl anyway. Now I’ve got to prepare for his arrival, so if you’ll just sit tight. I won’t tie you up again, but if you try to escape I’ll give you some of my-“ he lifted the syringe and chuckled, “painkiller.”

I reluctantly but obediently sat in the chair to show I was going to cooperate. I was never a fan of needles, but I was pretty sure whatever was in that syringe would not be a painkiller nor anything good medically for me. For all I knew it could kill me, and I wouldn’t be very good help if I was dead. I also planned on searching for an exit if he was going to be out of my sight. Sure if he found out I would get the injection, but I was planning on not being found out. I waited until he rounded the corner and I heard him punch in four sounding beeps and a door opened. SO there was a code needed to get out. I tried to memorize the tones the keypad rang off so that when I was sure the coast was clear I could go and get myself out.

I waited a while and finally go up out of my chair. If there were any hidden cameras anywhere I just wanted to look curious and not like I was planning anything. I went over and examined the tables full of test tubes, beakers and flasks as well as some other equipment. I wondered what each substance did. I moved from table to table trying to see if there were connections to be made between the items. I couldn’t find any. I glanced at the window and saw that daylight was coming through. I was so used to being sleep deprived that I hadn’t realized the time slipping by. It was Saturday morning and I was supposed to be studying with Andrew in a few hours. Maybe he’d come looking for me and realize I was gone. I hope he wouldn’t think I was standing him up. I knew if he talked to my land lady she would tell him that Whoever was running the convention last night was going to bring me home. If he was smart he might put the facts together and somehow locate the man.

Then my heart sank.

NO one knew who the mysterious billionaire was. You couldn’t exactly go to the police station and tell people that a fat guy in a blue spandex suit kidnapped the girl that was on the news. For all they knew he could have whisked me away on his private jet. Oh well, at least Andrew would know I didn’t stand him up. For now I was still on my own. I walked over to the window and looked out just to make sure I really couldn’t jump safely down. I saw that even if I did try to jump the area was guarded by such a high spiking fence I wouldn’t be able to get out.

I continued to rummage around the room, looking for things I could use as a weapon. It probably wouldn’t be very smart walking around his house unguarded. I searched the ceiling or odd looking objects for cameras but I didn’t see any. That didn’t mean there weren’t any, but I’d have to work quickly before my moves were detected. If he caught me trying to open his door he might send his two staff people after me, or come himself. I walked over to the door and pressed the buttons. They made a melodic tone but it wasn’t the right one. I tried to remember the code I had heard him type in. I tried six different combinations when the door finally creaked open. I slowly pushed it open and snuck out. As soon s the door closed behind me sirens blared loudly. Great, he had planned that I would escape. I covered my ears with my hands and ran down the hallway. The elevator that he had brought me up here in opened and the butler stepped out. I quickly veered to a hallway at the right and charged down it. Rooms upon rooms were on either side of the hall and some of them I could see were filled with computers. Others looked like more lab rooms.

“Stop right there.” A female voice called out and I felt something wrap around my leg and I fell over. I quickly threw my hands out to save myself form making contact with the ground. The last thing I wanted was to injure my rib more. I kicked the rope from around my ankle but it was too late. She and the butler were both by me. They each grabbed an arm and began to drag me down the hall.

“He was right. He knew you’d be smart enough to figure out the code. He’s not quite ready yet but you can watch him work and see what he is going to do to your hero.” They dragged me to a large dark room filled with random objects that looked valuable. There was one glass cage in the center of the room and underneath it there was a plaque that read
“HERO” in gold lettering. This guy was going to try and cage Hero? He broke through a window pane that was bomb resistant at my school. What made him think mere glass could hold him?

“Welcome, my little chick-a-dee.” He said with his back turned towards me, “I’m beginning to fancy you. I do so like my women feisty.”

“Ugh.” I groaned.

“I’m serious.” He said, “you’re unpredictable and interesting. Any other girl would be too normal. You’ve got a pretty face too. Would you like a nice cage as well? I could put you next to your lover boy.”

“I’m not an animal.” I said.

“Your manners contradict that statement.”

“They are going to realize I’m gone.” I said, trying to change the subject just as the maid painfully pulled me down into a chair and tied my wrists with what felt like wire.

“Can’t you be a little more original?” I asked looking over my shoulder to see my the maid tying my hands again, “Even in comic books the evil villain doesn’t use the same trick twice.” I tried to get my hands loose again.

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you. This time I’ve got you connected to a bomb.” He walked over and flipped a switch under my chair. I heard something small like a generator powering up, “you so much as bend a wire and you won’t exist after three seconds.”

“Are you insane? I could blow you up too.” I said.

“I think it’s time I tried a little of the pain killer don’t you?” He walked over to me and took out the syringe. I couldn’t help but wince at it. I attempted to scoot away from him but this chair didn’t have wheels. “Don’t move a muscle.” He warned. He lifted the sleeve of my bad arm and stuck the needle into my muscle. It stung worse than a normal vaccine. I could feel the cold long needle pumping the fluid into my blood stream. I groaned after a few seconds and he finally removed the awful thing.

“I refuse to die from this.” I said, fearing the worst.

“Oh, you won’t die, my sweet. But you actually won’t be able to do much of anything in a few minutes. I’d hate to send a pretty face like yours to waste, but you have one hour before it takes over your nervous system.”

“You’re trying to paralyze me?” I gawked, but I had an odd sensation start to spread around my right arm. It felt very tingly.

“If you can get Hero here I may reward you with the antidote. But after an hour I don’t think there is anything I can do.” He showed me another painful looking syringe filled with a blue substance. He placed it on the counter and walked back over to make sure whatever weapons he wanted to use were ready for attack. I certainly didn’t want to get stuck with another needle, but then again I think I could survive that pain for the ability to move.

“I don’t have any connections with Hero.” I groaned as the tingly feeling began spreading.

“Well if it doesn’t work out with him I’m sure our relationship will work just fine.”

“I might consider it if I tolerated abuse from my boyfriend.” I said sarcastically.

“Come now, you understand these measures I have to take. I’m really not a bad guy. But I am pretty good at getting what I want. Pretty good plan showing you around my home so you can’t leave.” He said, “You were going to have to stay here whether you wanted to or not.”

“I’d rather be dead.” I said and tried to make a show of moving my arms to ignite the bomb but my strength was zapped and my arms barely jerked.

“Good, the serum does work on you. I was beginning to have my doubts. You seemed impervious to everything else. I was beginning to wonder if your rib was even broken.”

“I’m not a super hero, you idiot.” I said. He walked over to me and took my chin in his hand. He made me look at his face and I glared into his eyes.

“You’re super enough for me.”

This guy was really beginning to get on my nerves. He released his hold on me and took a step back. He tapped his watch. “Fifty five minutes left. You don’t want me touching your body and carrying you around my house for the rest of your life.” He said, “besides, I’d much rather watch you walk through the house by yourself.”

“You’re not going to imprison me when your plan to get Hero here fails?”

“I might for a month or so, but then I think you’d feel comfortable enough to walk around on your own.”

Things were just going from bad to worse. Who knew being the girlfriend of a super hero, which I wasn’t, came with so many difficulties. It was like I was getting the punishment for nothing I had done. I was really beginning to wonder if I had been missed at the house yet. His watch had said that it was almost noon. Andrew and I didn’t exactly set a time to study, so maybe he’d just come to my house to get me anyway. Even if there was nothing he could do it still gave me a little hope that at least someone might miss me and attempt to look for me.

My entire body was tingling after a few more minutes had gone by. All of my limbs felt quite heavy. I could still move my fingers and I wasn’t sure how paralyzed I was going to get, but I figured I should pretend to be unable to move at all just in case he decided to give me another dose to make me really stop moving. Maybe the same antioxidants in my body that kept me from fainting or being affected by strong smells like the rag and the smoke in school caused me to be able to keep a little mobility in my body. Either that or he didn’t give me a big enough dose, but believe me, I wasn’t going to be the one he didn’t measure correctly.

“Thirty minutes.” He said while polishing one of his guns.

“How do you plan to get him here when I’m dead?” I asked.

“You’re paralyzed, not poisoned.”

“I don’t see a difference.”

“You really are strong minded aren’t you? Do you not like accepting help from others?
You’re strapped to a bomb and quite paralyzed with a male present. You realize I could-“

“Shut up.” I groaned.

“But your situation can’t exactly get much worse. I don’t understand why you don’t ask for help.”

“Maybe I don’t want help.” I said. He did have a point. I wasn’t exactly in any situation to win anything. I just couldn’t get the idea out of my head that even if I did call Hero he wouldn’t come. Actually, maybe deep down inside I was afraid that no one would come. I was guarding myself from rejection.

Time kept ticking by and the man continued to get more and more frustrated.

“Just a simple ‘Help me Hero’ and we can stop all this madness.”

“I don’t feel like helping you.” I said, “and if all I’ve got to look forward to is living here after this whole ordeal is over then you might as well kill me now.”

He groaned and paced around the room. “You’re not supposed to be this difficult.”

“Why? Because I’m a girl?”

He didn’t answer me which made me realize I was right. He must have thought that some girls eventually broke down at some point. I had been through enough in my life time to build up such a strong pride in myself that I wasn’t ready to show my defenselessness.
It was getting closer to one o’clock. By now someone was bound to notice I was missing. I was clinging to this hope a little too much. I was still able to move slightly but I continued to hold still. It seemed the serum had done it’s worst. Maybe since it didn’t completely paralyze me, my body might be able to fight it off.

As his watch beeped to let him know the clock had struck one he stood in frustration and ran his hands through his hair causing is hat to fall off.

“Fine.” He said and walked over to me. He placed his hands on my shoulders and squeezed them a little too tight for comfort. Even though my body didn’t move very well I still could feel everything normally. “This might hurt your feelings for our relationship, but I think you will eventually be able to forgive me.”

Fire was in his eyes. What was he planning? Before I could ask what else he could possibly do he placed his hand on my broken rib. My heart raced.

“No! Don’t-“ Was all I could get out before he forcefully and quickly pressed my rib in. My body couldn’t contract as a reflex so I just sat there as the worst pain I had ever felt in my life rushed around my body. I involuntarily screeched in pain. He pressed harder and I screamed loud and long. I had never felt anything like this in my life and I had no possible way to get him to stop. I didn’t care if I blew up now, I tried to free my hands but he continued to hold my rib. Fire like pain burned from his touch and seared like I was being stabbed. What did I do to deserve this?

“Stop!” I yelped through my gritted teeth. I could feel the tears of pain start burning my eyes. I didn’t want to give him the satisfaction of seeing the first tears I had shed since my father’s death. He didn’t deserve them.

“He isn’t here yet is he?” He asked and he had a crazed look on his face. He wasn’t going to stop until Hero came.

I bit my tongue to keep my tears at bay. They were just about to spill over and I was about to scream again when there was a clattering crash to the right. Immediately he whirled around and we both stared in disbelief as the black and red clad figure stood in almighty glory. Shattered glass sparkled around his feet and tinkled melodically as it continued to rain down. Never had a glass shattering sounded so beautiful.

The man removed his hand and I keeled over breathing painfully hard. I bit back the urge to throw up from the pain. My rib continued to throb even though the pressure of his hand was removed. I never knew so much pain was even possible to handle, all my mind could do was tell me to breathe, but the breathing hurt too much to comfort me.

“Hero, I’m so glad you could join us.” The man said. He stood in front of me hiding me from view with his lardy body. Before Hero could say anything the man pulled out one of his numerous weapons and shot it at him. Hero dodged it and zoomed towards the man. The fat guy was ready he blasted two different weapons at once. One hit Hero in the shoulder and looked like it attached with sharp claw like blades. I could see blue sparks of electricity jolt around his shoulder. Hero stopped moving. I wondered if the electricity really hurt him. To my relief Hero lifted his hand and brushed the object off as though it were a bit of dust. It clattered to the floor and continued to spark. In a flash Hero was suddenly behind the man and he could see me. With one gentle breeze he was gone and I felt him behind my back.

“Don’t even try to remove those wires.” The man said, “The second one of them disconnects, boom!” He shot another gun at Hero just over my shoulder. I flinched as I felt the heat of the ammunition soar past my face. I heard it hit into his flesh and Hero crashed backwards from the impact.

Hero stood but the man in white was ready with more weapons. Bullets and devices soared over my head. In an instant Hero moved away from me, realizing I was in the line of fire as well. Weapon after weapon appeared form the man’s coat and the further into the lab they moved the more weapons he had access too. He had set up his lab specifically for a fight like this. Anywhere Hero flew to the man had an accessible weapon. Hero dodged most of them, but he still got hit. Some of the things that exploded against him could have torn a regular person apart but I was surprised every time I saw the smoke clear to see him still standing in one piece.

After a few more minutes of fighting, Hero switched from defensive to offensive fighting. He was fed up with being pummeled by attacks. With an elegant grace and swerving of flying he shot towards the man and ran into him with such force that they both toppled over two tables filled with glass objects. Weapons and liquids went flying and crashing to the floor. With each attack Hero got a few more weapons away from the man. Not only that but they destroyed more and more lab equipment.

The syringe containing my antidote was on one of the last remaining lab counters close to me. I didn’t want it to get destroyed in the scuffle. I was sure the man wouldn’t be willing to whip up another batch any time soon. Especially not after getting his rear end handed to him so badly after his great plans to bring Hero down were failing.

I was too busy concentrating on how to get my antidote syringe that I didn’t realize both of them had crashed into some chemicals. They began smoking and then exploded with a great deal of flashy lights. Debris flew in my direction and I turned my head to shield it from anything damaging. Everything went silent for a few moments and I wondered if they both survived. Writhing a few seconds the handsome boy in his black and red suit was next to me. He knelt down to my level and looked me in the eyes.

“You’re going to be ok.” He said calmly and with confidence. I wondered how he was able to say that so earnestly when I was sitting on a bomb. He didn’t seem to be out of breath or even pained. What on Earth was this boy?

“Are you hurt?” He asked as he moved behind me to free my hands from the wiring. I didn’t know a strong enough word to say yes, but then again the broken rib wasn’t anything he could fix.

“I’m slightly paralyzed.” I said, “The antidote is in that syringe over on the counter.” I tried to gesture with my head.

Suddenly there was movement where the explosion had happened. The man appeared form the smoke, his mask had been blown completely off as had a great majority of his clothes.

“You’re a typical man. You run to check on the girl before you finish the job. If you had been any less predictable this might have turned out differently.” He held up something that resembled a gun but didn’t exactly look like it did the same thing as a gun. Hero immediately moved away from me in case the weapon was to hurt me too.

Before hero had a chance to move the weapon made an eerie noise that sounded like it was charging and then blasted something invisible towards Hero. I expected Hero to dodge the blast like he had all the others, but he fell to the ground.

“Hero!” I called out surprised. He actually looked like he was in pain. What was that thing?

“You like it?” He asked smiling, “I’ve developed this all by myself.” He continued to fire the invisible beam at Hero who was finding it hard to move.

“It doesn’t just hit you, but it starts to make your molecules deteriorate. Sure it would vaporize any normal human in seconds, I figured you would take longer. I’m going to enjoy watching you slowly disintegrate. This is payback for all the money and pain you’ve cost me.” He took a step closer to Hero. The shoulder of his costume dissolved revealing his peach muscular flesh. Hero didn’t groan in pain but he didn’t need to. It was obvious.

“I also know of your regeneration abilities. I think I’ll almost kill you, but then let your body recover, and then use this to almost kill you again. I won’t let you die so easily, though. I’ve still got some experiments I want to try.”

The butler and maid walked into the room wearing some odd looking suits. They walked towards the dying Hero and knelt next to him, tying him up. Their suits protected them form the gun. I felt helpless not being able to do anything.
Seconds ticked by and I was sure they felt like hours to him. More and more of his costume came undone and dissolved to nothing. His flesh began to look raw and chafed.

“Stop!” I yelled, not being able to watch. This boy did nothing but help people, and he was here because of me. I had screamed. If he didn’t come to rescue me he wouldn’t even be here under torture.

“You don’t like seeing your boyfriend in pain?” He asked.

“If I said he was my boyfriend would you leave him alone? For me?”

“For you? I might make an exception.” He couldn't have sounded more sarcastic.

“He seems to be unconscious, Doctor.” The maid said.

“Well, throw him in the cage and tell me when he wakes up.” The man in white grumbled lowering his gun, “I don’t want him to sleep through any of his deaths.”

They both picked up the limp Hero, staggering under the weight of his muscles.

“First let’s see who he is.” The man said and placed the gun down on the table of shattered glass next to him. The maid went to touch his mask but suddenly he woke up and blasted away from them with such force that they both fell backwards. The Butler hit his head against the wall and was knocked out. Hero was next to the scientist in seconds but the scientist acted quickly and was once more in possession of the gun. He held it up and I heard it charge ready for another blast. I couldn’t let that happen again. I mustered up my remaining strength. I knew I had three seconds after the bomb was triggered before it exploded. I had to get my hands out quickly. I sighed gathering my energy all for one move. I couldn’t miss. This might be our only chance. I didn’t have time to wriggle my hands free, I had to rip the cords apart! When I was ready I tensed my muscles and pulled my hands out of the cords. I felt the wires break against my skin.

“Hero, get down!” I yelled and threw the chair with all my might towards them. I collapsed on the floor and closed my eyes. I wondered what exploding in a room full of chemicals felt like? I guess I was about to find out. Just as I heard the crackling of the explosion something black was next to me. It was Hero! He pulled me against him and wrapped his arms tightly around me, covering as much of my body with his as he could. His embrace tightened as the explosion burst forth. I felt the heat rush by and I heard debris and everything else breaking around us. Even though my eyes were closed I could still see the bright red hot orange glow engulf us. Hero wrapped his cape around me and returned to his protective hold around me.

I never knew explosions could last so long, or maybe it was because I was so scared, but it seemed as if it would never end. More and more chemicals must have caught on fire and decided to explode by themselves. Regardless of how long the blasts lasted or the strength of the explosions Hero continued to hold fast to me making sure I didn’t get hurt. Suddenly the floor began to fall below us. Hero picked me up in his arms and somehow managed to still use his cape to shield us as he dove outside the window he had crashed through to answer my screams of agony.

I expected to land on the ground, but we continued to fly. It was sort of an uncanny feeling not heading back towards Earth immediately after being off the ground for so long. I got used to the idea of flying and found it to be an interesting experience.

I still found it incredibly hard to move. I was still so shaken at the event that had just taken place that I was also finding it hard to speak. It seemed no words were able to express anything at the moment. I couldn’t even tell if my side was still hurting, I mean I felt pain everywhere, but I wasn’t sure if it was stemming from something specific or just caused by shock.

After a few moments of peaceful flying he began to descend. We landed in an area of trees. It looked like a secluded park that was quite unused. I didn’t recognize this place at all. He knelt down and placed me flat on the ground much like he had done after rescuing me from school.

“You saved me again.” He said to break the silence and he sat on his knees. In all the video clips the news had caught of him and of all the pictures taken of him I had never seen him look so worn out. He probably never experienced anything like that before.

“No, this time you did the saving.” I said, not exactly knowing what to say. He didn’t answer and I wondered if he was too worn out or in pain to make a comeback. We sat in silence, both recovering from the event we just survived. I suddenly sighed when I realized I hadn’t grabbed the antidote. I wondered if I would ever be able to move normally again.

“Are you all right?” He asked and he gently placed a hand on my head.

“I forgot to grab the antidote.” I grumbled.

“Oh.” He said and suddenly pulled a blue liquid filled syringe form his belt.

“You got it?” I asked, surprised. I gulped painfully when I saw the length of the needle. I really wasn’t looking forward to this. “This is going to hurt.” I grumbled.

“Maybe I can help.” He said. He lowered his head down to my upper arm and gently breathed across it. It felt like icy winter wind was suddenly blowing across my arm and I wondered if icicles were about to form. He moved his head back and then breathed across the needle of the syringe. I could see steam coming off of it. Was he heating it? My mum always said heating a needle to get a splinter out didn’t cause as much pain. Maybe he was applying the same technique. I also couldn’t feel my arm. I guess the freezing technique was to numb it. I looked away as he placed the needle against my arm. I was surprised when I didn’t feel any pain. I only felt a slight pressure.

“It’s all right, you can look now.” He said and I saw him crush the syringe in his hand.

“Thanks.” I said, “You didn’t have to do that.” I was beginning to realize just how kind he was. Even after enduring so much agonizing torture he wasn’t angry enough at the world to even show animosity towards it. After a few moments an odd warmth began spreading through my muscles and woke them up. I tested out my arms and legs before attempting to sit up. I groaned from the pain of my rib and he immediately placed a hand on my back and helped me upright. I didn’t know what to say. I never planned on being alone with him for so long. Up until last night I had thought he had gone crazy in love with me with that insane note. My anger for him because of the media attention melted away. I had no right to be mad at him for that.

He stayed silent and I wondered if he was still hurting. The other day at school he had continuously repeated himself asking if I was all right until I gave him an answer. Now he was as quiet as a mouse.

“Are you ok?” I asked him and looked at the holes in his red and black suit. His chafed skin had returned to normal. I had to admit he healed pretty quick.

“I think I’ll pull through.” He said and I saw a slight lift in the corner of his mouth as he smiled. Was he trying to make a joke? I never took him for the joking type. I figured he’d be the silent elusive protector of the night.

We were silent again. I was pretty sure I was setting a world record for longest time with him and my points were just climbing up. For once in my life I actually felt grateful for another person able to help me out. I was so used to doing everything on my own and relying only on myself that it seemed asking for someone else’s help would be like showing a weakness or proving that I couldn’t survive alone. For once in my life my theory was proven wrong. I had needed his help.

“I really do appreciate you coming to rescue me.” I said and pulled my knees gingerly up to my chest. I was careful of my rib while I folded my arms over my legs and buried my head in my knees. “I’m just really sorry that you got hurt because of me. I can only imagine what you feel towards me for lulling you into that trap. I really did try to keep you away from it.” I said, in my defense.

He was silent for a moment as though thinking of what to say. Anyone that was ever interviewed after being rescued by him only said he flew off before being able to thank him. Maybe he flew away because he didn’t know how to accept gratitude, wither that or he probably heard another cry for help somewhere and didn’t have time to stick around for thank you’s.

“I don’t mind rescuing people.” He finally said after a long silence. It sounded like he wanted to say more but he just couldn’t find the words. It was just a natural thing for him to do so he wasn’t able to explain his ways so easily.

I wondered if I should bring up the media. After all, this had apparently happened because of a misunderstanding that I was his girlfriend. I didn’t want to ask him to be my body guard, but maybe he could make a public statement proving that we really weren’t together.

“I’m sorry.” He said out of the blue causing me to look up from my knees of misery and see what he was getting at.

“For what?” I asked. Once again he took a bit of time to answer.

“I’ve seen the news.” He started and chose his words carefully as though he was walking on egg shells.

“Oh.” I said, so he already knew. “I didn’t tell them we were a thing.” I said, “In fact I didn’t tell them anything.”

“They tend to make things up when there aren’t any answers given.” He said, confirming my thoughts. I was glad he didn’t think I was trying to get attention for the press or that I was attempting to act like his girl friend. “I could care less the rumors they spread about me.” He said, “But when they involve other people-“ he paused and looked at me. He understood. He must have known that this attack and the thought that I was his girlfriend was connected somehow.

“As long as we can convince the media we’re not going out- shouldn’t life go back to normal?” I asked, somehow hoping he would offer to hold a press conference or something to say that he was still single. It wouldn’t hurt my feelings to be rejected on live T.V. In fact, I couldn’t think of anything better. Maybe then I would be left alone by both enemies and people.

“I wish it was that simple.” He said, “I fear that if we make a big deal out of it now, after this big attack it may seem that I am only trying to protect you when in fact they will think we are still together.”

“So we can’t just tell everyone we’re not seeing each other?”

“That’s right, we need to let the rumors die down before we make any public statements.”

“But that’s insane. If we don’t do anything more of those guys might come after me.” I didn’t want to sound selfish, but until I was recovered and up to my bar fighting strength I didn’t ever want to go through that pain again.

“I know.” He said and looked paned. We couldn’t win.

“Because of that- don’t wait so long to call me next time.”

“What?” I asked.

“I’ve fought Doctor Madbe multiple times. Of the few times he’s had a hostage I’ve never heard them in so much pain like you were in. I figured you’d either said something to really get on his nerves or he had to do that to you as a last resort.”

I had to admit, he knew his evil scientists better than I thought.

“Well, I thought I could handle him on my own. I seemed to be doing all right until I tried to escape.” I said.

“That’s just it.” He almost sounded frustrated but kept his cool, “You can’t assume that you will be able to protect yourself from just anyone. As you can see even I had trouble fighting him. They aren’t what they seem.”

“I don’t exactly want to be captured again.” I said, realizing that he knew I would be captured again.

“You’ve got to call me before you’re even taken somewhere.”

“How can I expect you to come to my every call? What if it is a false alarm and you could have been around the world stopping Godzilla or something? At this rate I’m going to feel like I’m a burden to you, I didn’t even know you a couple days ago. We are still like strangers. I’m not trying to be difficult, but I don’t want you to have to rescue me when I think I can rescue myself.”

“Look, you’re not a burden to me. It is my fault you are in this mess. I want to protect you.” He stared very hard and earnestly into my eyes with his pretty blue ones. He placed his hands gently on my shoulders to show he really meant what he was saying. I had never heard anyone say they wanted to do anything for me. It was always me doing something for someone.

“But- you could get hurt again- I don’t want to see you- or anyone- in that situation you were in earlier. It makes my stomach churn just thinking about it. I could even be calling you into traps.”

“Every scream I answer I act like it is a trap.” He said. He was remaining amazingly calm despite my headstrong attempts to find problems in his plan. “I can be there in seconds- just call me. I will come running.”

It began to seem that I had less and less of a choice. He truly wanted to protect me. I had never heard of a hero begging to protect someone before. I guess I didn’t really have a choice because it seemed no matter what it was inevitable that I was going to get captured and from today’s experience I realized I wasn’t going to be able to use my own strength in the situations that were about to arise.

“How do I call you, then?” I caved in and replaced my head on my knees of misery. I could almost feel his relief that I agreed flow from him.

“Most people usually just call ‘Help Hero’” he said but then paused, “just a simple yell will do, or maybe a whistle. Heck you could sing or tap dance. I could care less, but I will find you whatever noise you want to make.”

I guessed I was going to have to swallow my pride for this. Calling for help was going to be a whole new situation on dealing with my dignity.

“You also might want to get a close friend.” He said, “I wouldn’t recommend being alone for very long.”

“I have friends.” I suddenly lied. I actually didn’t have time for friends. The most time I could think of hanging out would be a walk from the school to my apartment. Any other time was spent sleeping or studying. Just then I thought of Andrew. I guess he could be considered a friend. I mean, he was my buddy in the school after all.

I then realized we were supposed to study today. “Oh no!” I gasped and looked at my wrist as though I had a watch. I didn’t know why I did, I never had one.

“What’s wrong?” Hero looked defensive.

“I was supposed to study with one of my friends today. He’s never going to believe me when I tell him!”

“I’m sure he’ll understand.” Hero said, sighing as he realized it wasn’t some major catastrophe.

“I don’t think so-“ I mumbled, “I bet he’s already left my home. What time is it?” I looked down to see that he didn’t have a watch on him either.

“Probably around two thirty.” He said.

“I’ve got to get back an apologize- poor Andrew, he probably will think I stood him up out of anger or something.”

I started marching in a direction that felt like home might be in when Hero was right behind me.

“Allow me.” He said quietly and before I could answer he swooped me up in his arms again and we were smoothly gliding away from the ground. The further we climbed the more I realized we weren’t anywhere near Metrolis, my city. We were actually on a sort of island surrounded by water.

“An Island?” I asked as I glanced down at the shrinking chunk of land the further we climbed into the air.

“I didn’t want any attention.” He said shyly as though wondering if that had been the best idea. He picked up an incredible amount of speed and I now understood just how he had gotten us so far away from the explosion so quickly. Everything rushed by in a blur. It took only seconds before I saw land again. He slowed his pace but still stayed relatively high in the air. He didn’t want anyone getting pictures of us together. That would only add fuel to the flames of the rumors.

“Where do you live?” He asked. Reluctantly I pointed out the main area of my shabby apartment. We were too high up for me to see anything specific below the towering buildings, he seemed to have no trouble spotting it at all. As soon as he seemed to be directly above it he stopped flight and we began to plummet towards the ground. I involuntarily wrapped my arms around his neck to keep from flying away from him in case he lost his grip or something. Within a matter of seconds the rush of wind stopped and we were inside a room. We were in my room! I was glad I didn’t have much of anything to make a mess.

“Be careful.” He warned and took a step outside my window. He jumped out and zipped away. I stared after him long after he disappeared in the city to continue crime fighting. I wasn’t sure if I liked his flying methods so much, but it felt interesting knowing him a little better than I did before.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys let me know if the length is and issue for you. Unlike my witness protection program I decided not to break up my really long chapters. In my other story you guys didn't seem to mind whatever length my chapters were.

I would love to give a shout out to:
1.Chrys-Phanotis for getting the first comment. I hope you read more than the summary =)

and also to:

2.Fee Fi Fo Fum for your suggestions and help. I love when people let me know my mistakes so can fix them. I do appreciate it (also you have a fantastic screenname!)

Also, as most of you guys can see this is a little different than W.P.P. just because it is a little more violent. It is a completely different writing style and I know some of you suggested that you wanted to see 'real' battles (I toned my fights down in W.P.P.). I won't be holding back this time.

Hugs and Kisses!
~Wandering balloon