In the Library

1/1

Remus stood between the heavy book cases in the library, searching for the proper book to help him with his medical magic studies. His boney, pale fingers brushed against the spine of each book until he found the one with the most appealing title. He grabbed the ancient looking book, and turned down the passageway to look for an empty table. He stopped dead in his tracks when he saw her.

She was almost completely hidden by a stack of books, but the beautiful red hair gave her hiding spot away.

Remus craned his neck to see if anyone else was around. The whole center of the library was full of empty tables, but he had no idea where to sit. should he pick a spot near the window and stare at her across the room, or does he sit in front of her and take the risk of saying something stupid? He knew he should sit away from her. Not only would it be easier to keep his mouth shut and a little bit more focused on his studies, but it would also keep him clear of James.

James insisted that Lily Evans was his since he first saw her, which was after he caught Remus staring at her. He spent all of his time trying to come up with plans to get Lily to go out with him. Every time James even attempted to talk to her, she would shut him out and walk away. Remus found it quite entertaining, but always hid behind books to keep the amusement hidden. Sirius, however, would laugh in James’s face. James made it clear that Lily Evans was his for the taking. Remus would never do anything to hurt his best mate, especially over a girl.

But James wasn’t around at the moment. He was outside in the rain practicing for the upcoming Quidditch match against Ravenclaw. He would never know if Remus sat by Lily for a bit of studying. Remus knew better than to do anything drastic with her. A bit of friendly conversation never hurt anyone. Besides, Lily made it known that she liked him best out of the lot of his friends.

Remus inhaled a large amount of air before he strolled over to the shiny wooden table and sat across from Lily. She quickly looked up from her parchment and smiled at him.

“Hello, Remus,” she said, before turning her attention back to the parchment that lay in front of her.

“Good evening,” he replied with a cheerful smile. He opened the ancient book he had pulled off the shelf and attempted to read it. The constant fluttering in his stomach made him want to look back up at her, but he kept his gaze on the small text inside the smelly book.

“You’re not going to lecture me on James, are you?” she asked with a soft chuckle, quickly scratching her quill across the roll of parchment.

“No,” he laughed, absentmindedly turning the page. “No, I’m not here to do that.”

He began to wonder what exactly what he was here for. He obviously wasn’t paying any mind to his studies.

“Good,” she sighed with relief. “A few nights ago he sent Sirius here to try and convince me to go out with him.”

“Oh, no. I don’t think I could change your mind,” he smiled. He didn’t want to change her mind. There was a possibility that he could try, but he wasn’t going to. James was his best mate; he should work hard to get the date he wanted instead of trying to put a good word in through the grapevine.

“I’ve made up my mind about him, Remus,” she began with a huff. “He’s inconsiderate, cocky, self-centered, and just plain rude. He only cares about himself.”

Remus lowered his head and started to fold the corner of the page. He knew that she was only half right. James did have a swelled ego, and he did think highly of himself. He also cared a lot for Remus, Sirius, Peter, and Lily. James had a big heart. He was just selective of who it loved. Remus felt a twinge of guilt for not wanting to correct her. He continued to bend the flimsy pages of his book and kept his head down.

“I’m sorry,” Lily apologized. “I probably shouldn’t have said that. I know he’s your best mate and all.”

Remus looked up to meet her eyes; those beautiful emerald eyes that matched perfectly with her curly, flaming red hair. He didn’t know what to do. He wasn’t going to try and counter what she had said in fear of going back on his word. He didn’t want to quietly sit there and make her think he hurt his feelings either.

“James will be James,” he mumbled with a small smile.

Lily nodded and went back to scratching around on her parchment. Remus stared at her hands. They looked so soft and delicate. He wanted to touch them, hold them in his, but he quickly grasped both ends of his book to stop himself. He knew he should have sat by the window.

She made it clear that she didn’t have the slightest interest in James, so why should he sit back and let any he chance he had go? Lily often told James that she liked Remus better. So in reality, he had more of a chance than James did. One date never hurt anybody.

“But he’s my best mate!” Remus blurted out.

“What?” Lily questioned, looking the now embarrassed Remus.

“Uhm,” he stuttered. He had to get out of there before he ended up doing something he would later regret. He slammed his book shut and hopped out of his chair.

“I should be heading back,” he said apologetically. “I promised James I would meet him after Quidditch practice.”

“Oh, okay,” she nodded with a warm smile. “It was good seeing you, Remus.”

He nodded and smiled before he ran out of the library, earning shouts of disapproval from Ms. Pince, the librarian. He walked at a quick pace towards the Gryffindor common room, trying very desperately to clear his head and rid himself of any facial expressions that might give him away.

He should have grabbed the old book, ran to the common room, and stayed there. He knew Lily never studied in the common room because of James and the loud noises that followed him. How could he even think about asking her out, touching her hand, or even wanting to make a move on her? It didn’t matter if James had not yet succeeded in getting a date with her; Lily was property of James, and Remus knew that. The only way he could make a move without losing his best friend, was if James gave up and let Remus go for it. All of Hogwarts knew that would never happen.

Remus entered the common room after reciting the password to the fat lady. James sat in one of the comfy armchairs in front of the fireplace. Remus tried his best to sneak past him, but James was too quick.

“Where were you, Moony?” James asked, wearing his trademark smirk.

“Library,” Remus answered, holding up the battered book.

“Was Evans there?” James questioned, purposely messing up his hair at the mention of her name. It became an instant reflex for him.

“Yeah, I saw her,” Remus answered, swallowing the lump in his throat.

“Well, next time you see her in there, do you think you can put in a good word for me?” he asked, showing all of his white teeth. "She'll listen to you better than to Sirius."

“Uh,” Remus stuttered. He didn’t want to lie to his friend, but he didn’t want to exactly do him any favors that concerned Ms. Evans. “Sure.”

“Thanks mate,” James grinned, turning his attention to the thick pamphlet of parchment that Remus recognized instantly.

Remus started to walk up the stairs towards the boy’s dormitory. He knew that he could never talk to Lily again. He could only look at her.
♠ ♠ ♠
This came out a lot shorter and not really what I wanted. But, I decided to post it anyway.
I've always liked the idea of Remus and Lily together. I don't know. They look cute. :]

Leave it love! <3