My Love

The beginning

Magic, a mysterious yet wonderful thing, I had known it since I was born, studied it all my life, practiced it every single day.

And I hated it with all my heart.

Real magic was nothing you’d ever seen or heard about. Unlike the illusionary stage magic, or the petty magic with wizards and wands Hollywood had lead the mortals to believe, especially not J.K.Rowling’s Harry Potter.

If I had to explain it, I would say magic were more similar to fairies people spoke of. No, not the thumb-size pixies, we were tall and graceful. Long silky hair cascaded down our shoulders, males and females alike; sparkling crystal eyes shone to dazzle others; a peachy or rosy complex of the softest shade. But the most unique of all, was the birthmark on our backs. Each representing what type of wings one would have when he or she had reached the matured stage, it was also a symbol of status.

Ordinary bees’ wings were the most common, and of the lowest rank, seconded by four-leaved wings and lady-bugs’ wings. Moth wings and feathered wings belonged to the nobles and the privileges. Finally, royalties had butterflies’ wings.

Like the ones on my back.

They said I was destined to be their queen since my wings were of rainbow colors. Ever since the day I was born, it was as if everything had been decided for me. I had no choice but to follow every order, every task. I was betrothed before I could comprehend the meaning of the word. I desired freedom, and to weave my own fate.

I had it in my hands, once upon a time.

I had experienced the most amazing magic, true love.

My lover was handsome, loving, but tough and strong due to his horrible childhood. He had captured my heart from the time when we encountered each other on the street. I rested my head on my palm as I recalled the day we first met.

Yet another boring lesson had just finished. I dismissed my maids as I told them I needed to rest, and ordered them not to disturb me until dinner was ready, which was a few hours later.

‘Yes, your Highness,’ they chorused, leaving my room and closed the door silently.

I sighed and casted a spell on myself. Honestly, why would I want to rest? I had hardly done anything with all the maids and servants around. I needed to move, to exercise my limbs, but instead of a magical way, I wanted to move in a physical way.

The spell had immediate effects on me, as my black waist-length hair shortened into strawberry blond shoulder-length hair, my faced turned more oval while my eyes transformed from round sapphires into almond emeralds; I had grown taller too. I quickly removed my golden gown and changed into a regular peasant dress. Putting my black cloak on, I was finally ready to go.

Taking a deep breath, I practiced the words a few times before actually saying out loud. A dark portal opened in front of me, blue sparks dancing violently around the circle, swirling into the centre vortex.

I clicked my fingers. A mirage of me appeared beneath the blankets; her chest rose and fell evenly. If I assumed correctly, it could be my substitute till I had returned from my little trip to town.

The plan was going smoothly so far, which I was grateful for. Extending my hands, I pushed them into the portal, my body slowly sunk into it. Suddenly, an unknown force pulled me into the portal completely. I flew through the corridor of space in high-speed. Scenes blurred around me, I could not distinguish any of them properly.

I nearly tripped at the last minute, barely catching myself. I stood inside a tunnel; the way out was just a few yards away. Bright light shown through the exit, a contrast to the dim environment surrounded me.

This was a secret passage that only I knew. I had randomly teleported myself here during the first few tries when I started the teleportation spell, and almost lost my way back. When I was older, I attempted to explore this foreign place and discovered that this was an alley between the town and the palace, the perfect place for me to go whenever I wanted to sneak out or to have a walk around town.

Just as I was about to step into the light, a large, rough hand touched my shoulder.

‘Well, look at this guys, I caught myself a pretty little thing.’ A cow-like voice said. I spun around, facing the one who dared to upset me.

A middle-aged man with graying hair grinned wickedly, his teeth were yellow and decayed. Red messy hair on top of his head, and a bunch beneath his chin. His eyes were beady and small, I couldn’t see it clearly there. Behind him stood two younger men, both had untidy brown hair and were about a head taller than the body I was in. They too wore Cheshire grins that disgusted me to no end. Their wings sprouted from the dirty clothes. Three pairs of bees’ wings, or rather, flies’ wings.

I wasn’t the type to judge based on one’s status and rank, but I had to say, the only title that could fit them appropriately was ‘filthy commoner.’

‘What are you doing here, doll-face?’ The leader asked, his breath contained a foul scent of alcohol.

‘Release your hold this instance,’ I retorted, ignoring his question.

The man laughed, his voice echoed through the long tunnel. His followers looked at him with curiosity while I frowned in displeasure, angered by his hysterical laughter.

‘What is so amusing?’

‘Ha ha… Feisty, just the way I like them.’

I jumped backward away from him, my mouth began a chant. How dare he treat me, the future queen of this kingdom, in such a disgraceful manner? I had decided to teach him a lesson.

But before I had finished my spell, someone else had already took care that for me. The man fell on his knees, his eyes rolled to the back of his head and fainted. I turned my head to the left as I heard quick footsteps, yet I did not catch even a single shadow.

The two remainders stared at their boss in confusion, shocked by what happened a minute ago. They stared at me with bewilderment, and was soon replaced by rage.

‘What have you done to our brother?’ One of them shouted.

‘Brother?’ I voiced out without thinking. They did not look alike, maybe except for their foulness. ‘And I have done nothing to him.’

‘Lair!’ screamed the other one. The said person charged at me like a bull. I readied another spell on my lips, but the same thing occurred again. He fell, and became unconscious.

‘Witch!’ He ran towards me, his eyes burned with hatred. His speed was faster that his brothers, I couldn’t cast a spell in time. I raised my hands, forming a cross over my face in order to shield it. My eyes squeezed shut at the thought of being beat up like a ragged doll.

Pain did not come as I had anticipated. I opened my eyes gradually, and was surprised to see the man had fainted like the others, lying on top of the other bodies.

‘What are you doing here outside my house?’

I turned around to the source of the voice. A young man, similar to my age, around sixteen, leaned on the wall near to the exit. His eyes were blue with a tint of silver; dark black hair tied back into a pony tail; sunlight reflected from his face like a polished sculpture.

My heart fluttered, pounding against my chest.

‘Your house?’ I questioned. I looked up, and saw the skies instead of the walls and chimneys I had familiarized. ‘Oh, right. My apologies.’

‘And?’

‘What else do you require from me?’ I asked him, discontented that I was irritated twice within a short amount of time.

‘Well, what do you say when someone saved you?’ He smirked arrogantly.

I crossed my arms and rolled my eyes. How immature. ‘Right. Thank you,’ I forced the words out, since my pride was stopping me to thank him. ‘But I could’ve handle him just as well.’

‘Uh huh,’ the boy’s smirk was still present on his face. ‘If I was not here, you would’ve been beaten up by Gary and his brothers.’

‘You know these…’I searched for the right words, but failed to do so. ‘Foul creatures?’

‘Foul creatures? Ha! That’s a good one. Wait till I tell them when they get up,’ the boy approached me. I wanted to step back but the bodies blocked my way. I would have walked on them but I was taught better than that.

‘I just want to have a look at the scratch on your arm, girl, not rape you.’

I flushed at his bold statement.

Stinging pain registered to my brain after he had mentioned the small wound. I didn’t notice it. He grabbed my arm in a not-so-gentle way, and examined the wound.

‘You’re lucky I’ve come quick enough, or else things would’ve turned ugly.’ He led me into his house. It was small yet homey, and warm.

He pushed me onto a chair next to the dining table. ‘Sit. I’ll be right back.’

I squirmed awkwardly on the wooden chair, uncomfortable. I was used to the pillows and cushions the servants always provided for me. My eyes scanned his house; most of the furniture was made of wood, including the house itself. It was much simpler than my bedroom in my palace, yet I couldn’t say disliked it. It was refreshing to see a change after sixteen years of gold and gems.

The stranger returned with some leaves in his hand. He crouched before me, my heart once again sped up at his closeness. Placing the leaves and his hand over the wound, (I flinched at the contact) he whispered under his breath. Soft blue light glowed; I stared in amazement, astonished by this magic. I had never seen anything like that before.

‘There. All done,’ he let go of my arm with a satisfied expression on his face. I inspected my arm, and flexed it, not a slightest trace of a wound existed there.

‘Amazing.’ I praised, which was rare. He should consider himself very lucky.

‘Come on, I should bring you home.’

I panicked. I couldn’t let him escort me to the palace. First, the guards wouldn’t let me in. If I revealed myself to him, I might never see him again, or he might treat me different because I was the future queen.

‘That is not necessary,’ I said, thinking of a way to avoid that situation. ‘Um…I do not live around here, you see.’ That wasn’t lie, I indeed did not live around there, or in the town.

‘I can tell,’ he raised his eyebrow. ‘What if you are attacked again?’

Frustration came back to me. ‘I told you, I can take care of myself, sir.’

‘Eric,’ he said. ‘My name is Eric. Don’t call me sir, it makes me feel so old.’

‘As you wish, Eric.’ I spoke unhurriedly, enjoying the way his name rolled in my mouth. ‘Farewell.’

I hesitated when I reached the door. I did not wish to leave him, I wanted to stay, but I knew I couldn’t.

‘Eric,’ I began after a pause. ‘I might visit you again.’

Without waiting for his reply, I ran out of his house. My heart thumped and fluttered.


He had stolen my heart since the first day. I wanted nothing but to be with him. I began to think of a plan, a way to relieve myself of the duty of a queen.
♠ ♠ ♠
Woo hoo, the first chapter is out. I can't wait to finsih the story. Please subscribe and leave a comment on your way out, thank you. =)