My Love

Our Secrets

I knew I had fallen in love with Eric.

The way I’d blush, the way I’d stutter were signs that I couldn’t overlook. Every day, he caught my attention and stole my breath away.

My lips curled at the thought of him. I had loved him so, and I still did. So it was heart-breaking when I discovered his deepest, darkest secret that one day, yet it was also a fateful day.

I visited him whenever I could. My heart could not bear to stay away from him, even a second seemed too long. Places did not matter because wherever I went, my mind would linger on Eric.

At first, he was cautious about my continuous visits, but as time passed, he had grown accustomed to my presence. I would always arrive an hour before dusk, and he would prepare some snacks for me. Sometimes I’d ask him to teach me on healing spells, or walk around the meadow, playing with the animals, but most of the time we’d share conversations about what had happened that day, whilst mine was the edited version. His life sounded delightful, filled with joy and genuine happiness which material could not provide. I envied him, but I was also glad he enjoyed life.

Today, we were outside, watching the setting sun together. I adored the scene. I felt I was one with nature, surrounded by plants and all kinds of animals, and of course, Eric. The blushing sun painted the skies velvet red and orange, spraying golden rays across the earth.

‘It’s so beautiful,’ I said, admiring the scene above me.

‘Yeah,’ he half answered, half sighed.

I raised my head to Eric, who was staring forward without actually seeing the art before him. Something was occupying his mind, it was so obvious that even I could identify he was thinking of somebody.

An invisible hand gripped my heart, weighting it down.

‘Who are you thinking of, Eric?’ I voiced my question to him, toned by jealousy.

A term that made me shivered in loathing.

Wind blew on his face, garnishing his features delicately. He turned to me, his eyes gazing into my very soul. ‘Leinya,’ he started reluctantly, using my allies I made up by rearranging my name. ‘What if I told you—’

‘Eric!’

Gary’s youngest brother, (the one who called me a witch,) Brendon, dashed towards Eric, who ducked and missed narrowly. Brendon halted, and rushed towards Eric again. I had no idea what was going on.

‘Stand still, demon!’ Brendon yelled.

I stared in horror as Brendon tried to attack Eric again and again, whom dodged with ease but dared not to counter attack. Although Eric could have handled Brendon easily since he used magic spells while Brendon relied on physical strength, he made no effort to stop the crazed man. I guessed he wanted to find out what had irked him so.

‘What’s wrong with you, man?’

‘Everything!’ Brendon gave no specific reply to Eric, charging at him like a blind bull.
‘Leave Eric alone, Brendon.’ I interjected between their talk.

Brendon stopped next to a tree, panting and sweating. He was tired from all the futile running. His dark hair was wet with sweat and clung to his face, green eyes lost their usual shine.

‘Stay away from him, Leinya,’ he warned me. ‘He is a demon.’

‘What are you talking about? Eric is no demon, he is a fairy, just like you and me,’ I argued back. How could he call Eric a demon? He was far from being one.

Eric tensed, his lips tightened into a straight line. The muscle in his fist relaxed and contracted, his nails dung into his palms, drawing some blood.

‘You knew…’he whispered.

‘Damn right. I know what you are, Eric,’ Brendon mocked him, saying his name with venom dripping in each syllable.

‘What?’ I asked, clearly lost among their hidden meanings.

‘That’s right, your little girlfriend doesn’t know about it, does she?’ Brendon smiled crookedly. ‘Why don’t we share the information with her? Leaving someone in the dark is not nice, Eric.’ Brendon appeared by my side abruptly. ‘Let me tell you a little something, Leinya…’

‘No!’ Eric shouted in distress.

‘You see, Leinya, our friend Eric here,’ Brendon gave a dramatic pause. ‘Is a cursed one.’

‘What?’ I asked for the second time, but this time, it was not out of puzzlement, but out of alarm.

‘Have you ever noticed his blue eyes had a bit silver in them? Or how pale he was compared to the rest of us?’ Brendon questioned me, which I had noticed at first sight but gave no attention. He suddenly smirked. ‘Would you like some proof?’

Hurtling towards Eric, who barely had any time to react, Brendon ripped Eric’s shirt into pieces. Torn and shredded, Eric’s upper body was exposed. My eyes glued onto his back, which was facing to me, and saw his birthmark.

It was not of commoner’s wings, the nobles’, or the royalties’. His wings belonged to no creature. It was a mere bone structure of a pair of bat wings. No feather, color, leather, or a single muscle was attached.

The wings of the cursed ones.

I fell onto my knees as my legs gave out, stunned by the display, and the fact Eric was a cursed one. The cursed one were said to bring bad luck and destruction to the country, so every kingdom either exiled those fairies, or kill them at sight.

‘I have to go now,’ Brendon leered. ‘See you later, Eric.’ The sun set behind as Brendon walked away casually, leaving me and Eric in this tacky state. Misery and disappointment touched me, embracing me in their cold arms. What should I do? Yell? Scream? Cry? All, or none of above?

‘Leinya, I…I didn’t mean to lie to you,’ guilt and pain painted his facial features. ‘I didn’t want you to know because…because…’

‘Because?’ I murmured.

‘Because I didn’t want you to leave like they did to me, Leinya.’ He whispered.

My eyes widened, flabbergasted by what he had just spoken. Was I hallucinating, or were my ears playing tricks on me?

‘Leinya,’ Eric strengthened his voice, rising to a more audible level. ‘You are the nicest and the most beautiful girl I had ever met, looks and personality wise. After I’ve known you, the world seems to brighten up, as if I saw the world for the first time. You are my light, my angel, and I cannot stand to leave your side for even a minute. I know you may not return my affection, but know this, Leinya,’ Eric placed his hands on both of my shoulders, his eyes flooded with raw emotion. ‘I love you.’

I gave no response, which I regretted immediately as the hope in Eric’s eyes turned crestfallen. My body was numb, both scared and thrilled by his confession. What I had dreamt of became reality, but I was too much of a coward to deal with it. Even such a magnificent dream frightened me.

‘…I guess I should bid you farewell, Leinya,’ Eric muttered dejectedly, a poorly disguised smile plastered on his face. ‘I hope we will meet again.’

‘Wait!’ I shouted after gaining the control of my body once more. I had lived my life as a doll, and I would not let my chance of happiness slip away.

Eric stopped walking, yet he did not turn to me.

‘Eric, I have something to confess too.’ Mustering courage, I poured my true feelings into my words. ‘Ever since the day you’ve saved me, I was attracted to you.’ Eric remained motionless. My heart sting at his lack of reaction, but I carried on. ‘And over the past months of spending time with you, I was drawn to you in a way I had never experienced before. Logic cannot explain such feelings, and words can do it no justice. Gradually, I understood my heart. It is pounding with love, an emotion that I can no longer deny. You had stolen my heart and soul.’

Eric trembled, I frowned in worriment, wondering what was crossing in his head. Would he reject me because I was…too late?

Watery liquid rolled down my face, my throat tightened, yet I had to finish my words. ‘I j-just want t-to say that…that I love y-you too, Eric.’

My hands flew to my face, I sobbed loudly. I couldn’t manage it, I couldn’t pretend that it didn’t hurt, because it did, and it hurt so much.

An arm wrapped around my waist, pushing my face onto someone’s shoulder. Another hand brushed through my golden locks, patting my head.

‘Hush, don’t cry.’ Eric muttered, calming me down. ‘Why didn’t you tell me earlier?’

‘I t-thought you w-would reject me,’ I answered as tears kept pouring out of my eyes.

Eric said no more. He simply hugged me and hummed a soft tune. Before long, I ceased my weeping.

‘Better?’

I pulled away, my face flushed scarlet when I realized I had been leaning on his bare chest. ‘Yes,’ I whispered, completely embarrassed.

I suddenly remembered that was another thing I had been lying to Eric, and decided this was the right moment to tell him the truth.

‘Eric, I had another thing to confess.’

‘Yes? Go on,’ he encouraged me.

‘I am not who I appear to be.’ My gaze lingered on his perplexed face before turning away. ‘My name is not Leinya, nor is there a fairies called with this name. My name is…Yelina.’

‘You’re joking,’ was his instant reaction.

I stepped away, and removed the disguise spell. White blinding light enclosed on me. When it faded, I returned to my normal state. Blue eyes, black long hair, and my height reached his chest, not shoulders.

Holding me in his arms, Eric froze for a while. His face told me his was debating whether this was a dream or not. I returned his hug, closing the space between us. ‘You’re not dreaming.’

‘Damn it!’ Eric suddenly cried, snapping out of his trance. ‘Why do things have to get so complicated?’

‘I don’t know, Eric. I really don’t.’ I replied.

‘I should’ve known. The way you always talk formally, the grace you possessed in every movement…’Eric mumbled. ‘But the future queen?’

‘I will not abandon our love, Eric.’

‘Do you know how foolish you sounded?’ He smiled sadly at me. ‘You’re giving up everything to be with a cursed one.’

‘It is not a foolish decision.’ I retorted. ‘I did not choose to be a queen, I did not earn myself the title. I had been trained my whole life, a plan designed for my future. Only emptiness awaits me in the palace. Yet now, I have a choice, and I choose to be with you.’

‘Thank you.’ Eric tilted my head upwards, leaning close to me. I closed my eyes as he came closer, and the most magical thing happened when out lips touch. It was like fireworks, or a thousand butterflies. Warmth coursed through my body, filling it with love.

We parted, looking into each others’ eyes, drinking the image, and closed the distance again.

The most magical moment needed one second only, but lasted forever.

That day we realized each others’ feelings, and our relationship started there. But we’d become more cautious, since he was a cursed one while I was the future queen. Time was running out as we grew older. Soon, his wings would reveal themselves, so would mine. That was not the only problem. Apart from gaining our wings at the matured age, it also meant we had reached the age of marriage. I was betrothed to a nearby kingdom’s prince, and we were to wed on my birthday.

His name was Michael, Miles for short. I would not say I hated him, because he had been a total gentleman to me, like chivalry existed in his kingdom. Kind, nice, gentle, and not to mention good-looking, he was a lot of ladies’ ideal husband. Our marriage was nothing but political need, though he treated me as if he was in love with me. He once told me one queen was enough, he did not want any consort or mistress for he had no use of them. Although I was touched, the one who lived in my heart was Eric, not Miles.

We had to runaway.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yet another chapter published. Two down, one more to go, though I have absolutely no idea how to start >< So it might take a few more days for it to come out. And honestly, it kind of disturbed me how cheesy Eric's confession sounded...
I hope you enjoyed reading it and please subscribe and leave a comment. =)