Status: only beginning

Golden Wings

Chapter Two

Image

Mothwing searched me over for the millionth time. StarClan knows if it weren’t for her, I was nearly certain I could’ve felt less tired than I did at this moment. Her blue eyes were cautious and careful, and I rolled my own copper ones. “Oh, for the sake of Riverstar, I’m not dying, Mothwing! I was merely knocked out for one day. You can let me go.”

Mothwing snorted and flicked her tail over my mouth to silence me. “Leopardstar, I respect you and your words. But, please, no more of this complaining! I’m your medicine cat; I’ll decide when you’re able to leave my den.” After inspecting my eyesight---I glared the entire time---she muttered, “Alright, you’re fine. Lay down for a bit, and then you may go.”

I sighed heavily, and felt my legs weaken and buckle. I laid down in the soft and comforting nest, but I was restless, and fidgeted around. “Thank you, Mothwing.”

Mothwing purred, the tip of her tail touching my shoulder. The medicine cat had kept me company for the days I had been ordered to remain in Mothwing’s den, restricted from hunting and patrolling. She laid down beside me, tucking her paws under her sleek fur. We gazed upon our Clanmates from the entrance. I purred at Mosspelt; the tortoiseshell queen was expecting her fifth litter soon. I thought, ‘Blackclaw must be very proud.’

“Is she your daughter?” Mothwing mewed unexpectedly.

My ears twitched. “Excuse me?”

“Mosspelt,” the golden she-cat murmured. “Is she your kit?”

“Oh,” I meowed sadly. “Oh, no. She was my littermate’s daughter.”

“Your littermate?” Mothwing asked. “I never knew you had a littermate.”

“Yes. Her name was Oakstripe. She was a beautiful cat. Did you know she was the mother of Crookedstar’s kits once?”

Mothwing purred. “No, I didn’t. What ever happened to her?”

My heart sank, and the gold medicine cat murmured, “No need to tell me, dear Leopardstar.”

“No, no,” I protested. “It’s…fine. She died giving birth to Mosspelt and her sister Shadepelt. Graypool raised her.”

“I understand Graypool raised Mistyfoot and her brother Stonefur as well?” Mothwing purred.

“Yes…” My voice faltered, and at the memory of the old gray queen, another cat crossed my mind. A bloody-pawed tom who killed Graypool. Tigerstar. My first and only love. I flinched, letting out a whimper of pain.

Mothwing sprang to her paws, and she hissed worriedly. Her blue eyes glittered with fear. “Are you okay?!”

I growled, “Yes, yes, I’m fine. Calm yourself, Mothwing!” The sapphire-eyed medicine cat relaxed slightly, and I meowed, “Am I allowed to leave now?”

The RiverClan medicine cat nodded, and dipped her head. “Come back if there is any trouble with your eyesight or head.” I dipped my head. I leapt from my nest and padded into the sun, feeling the first warmth from its rays on my fur than I had in a few nightfalls.

Stonestream, who shared a water vole with Dawnflower, raised his head when he saw me. “Leopardstar? Does Mothwing know you’re out here?”

I hissed, baring my teeth. “Why yes, of course!”

Dawnflower mewed in her soft, melodic voice, “Are you feeling well, Leopardstar?”

I nodded to the gray cats. “Yes, thank you. It was a mere concussion. Mothwing fixed me up very well.” It was true. My sight was clear, and the scars were impossible to see on my sleek, dappled golden fur.

I passed the gray warriors to the fresh-kill pile and picked out a silver-scaled fish . I dragged my pick near a group of warriors---Blackclaw, Hawkfrost, and Silverwing. Blackclaw and Silverwing meowed greetings, dipping their heads respectfully, but Hawkfrost seemed concerned. “Are you feeling okay?”

The gleam in his blue eyes was so warm, I felt my pelt tingle…I shook out those thoughts. “Yes, thank you, Hawkfrost.” I gazed into his eyes, his face so welcoming, until Silverwing coughed. The other two warriors were staring at me oddly, and my fur felt hot with embarrassment. Blackclaw’s whiskers were twitching with amusement as I said ‘farewell’ and padded at a rather swift pace away.

I took my fish to Mistyfoot under the AirStone, where I addressed my Clan normally. After she reported what had happened over the last few days, she purred, “I’m glad to see you walking again.”

“Any cat would think I’m an elder the way you’re carrying on!” I remarked light-heartedly.

“I’m surprised Hawkfrost helped you into camp,” the blue-gray deputy meowed.

My tail flickered. “What?”

“Well, he is not the caring or patient type,” Mistyfoot explained, “but he’s acting like that around you lately.”

My fur burned and tingled at once. Why, I didn’t know. “Yes, well…”

“I think he just wants to be deputy again,” Mistyfoot remarked quietly. With a long sideways blue glance, she murmured, “If you wished to make him deputy once more, I wouldn’t argue with you, Leopardstar.”

I shook my head, but I admired her loyalty. “No Mistyfoot. You’ve been my loyal deputy for seasons, ever since your brother Stonefur was murdered. You are my successor, never Hawkfrost. He is too blinded by ambition, I feel.”

The daughter of Bluestar nodded. “I think so as well. Thank you, Leopardstar. I promise to serve to as best as possible for the life you and I have left.”

“I expect nothing more.” I left her to organize a hunting patrol, but when I neared Reedwhisker with Stonestream, I overheard their conversation.

“Did you hear about Leopardstar and Hawkfrost?” Stonestream meowed to the black warrior.

“No,” Reedwhisker said wonderingly. “What?”

“Well, Dawnflower told me,” the gray tom mewed, “that Hawkfrost carried Leopardstar into camp a few days ago, after the battle against ShadowClan.”

The black tom shrugged. “I know. I fought in that battle.”

“Fine,” Stonestream spat. “But did you also know Hawkfrost has been visiting our leader every day since the fight?” Reedwhisker’s eyes widened, and I pricked my ears. I had not known this.

“He just wants to see his sister,” Reedwhisker meowed, but Stonestream’s green eyes wavered slightly. “Remember? Mothwing is Hawkfrost’s sister.”

“Well, he’d only visit Leopardstar when she was asleep---“ Stonestream began.

The black warrior Reedwhisker snorted with satisfaction. “See?”

“But I heard Hawkfrost ask about Leopardstar yesterday!” the gray warrior hissed.

“Really?” Reedwhisker was more intrigued now, his amber eyes glowing with curiosity. I was shocked; did the two toms even notice I was standing here? But neither cat showed any sign of carefulness.

“I never thought Hawkfrost would ever find love,” Stonestream mused.

“Nor Leopardstar,” Reedwhisker agreed. A low growl burst in my throat, which caught the attention of the two warriors. Their eyes open wide in shock and fear.

“Leopardstar!” Reedwhisker sputtered, for Stonestream was frozen, unable to speak. “How long have you been there?”

Anger burned in my eyes and I heard the blood roaring in my ears. “If you two are quite finished,” I spat furiously, “there are borders to be patrolled and prey to be caught. Unless you want to gossip with the elders as you check their pelts for ticks for the next moon!” Reedwhisker and Stonestream dipped their heads, trembling, and bounded away in a hurry.

I sighed and brought my fish to one of the streams to eat. The sound of the water always soothed me and I almost wanted to slip into the water and feel the water through my fur. But the newleaf weather was nice as it was, and it would be too cold if I swam.

A long shadow fell over me as I tucked into and finished my fish, and when I turned, two icy eyes looked down on me. “Hawkfrost,” I greeted the tabby warrior, feeling my fur prick as Stonestream’s words flashed an image in my mind again.

“Leopardstar,” he meowed quietly. “There is ThunderClan scent on the WindClan border.”

“What?” I hissed. “ThunderClan? Impossible. They would have had to have sent a vanguard across WindClan territory to invade us!”

“Onestar is always pleased to have his old friend Firestar have ThunderClan walk all over him,” Hawkfrost sneered softly.

“Right,” I said, getting to my paws. “Call Otterheart and Rainpaw…”

“No,” Hawkfrost interrupted. “Don’t tell any other cats until we’re sure. Follow me.” The muscular tom waved his tail for me to trail him. I growled under my breath. ‘Upstart kit!’

Hawkfrost led me through the stream and into the RiverClan forest. He did not speak nor even look at me with his cool-blue eyes. No cat meowed for a long time until finally I broke the silence. “Did you recognize any particular ThunderClan scents?”

Hawkfrost did not speak.

“Firestar?” I prompted. “Your brother, Brambleclaw? Graystripe?”

The dark tabby looked at me strangely. “Graystripe? Why, Leopardstar, you know very well Graystripe is dead.”

I snorted with contempt. “I know, but you are not giving any answers! Who did you smell?”

Hawkfrost lifted one white-tipped paw, and meowed in a soft voice, “I did not distinguish the scent. I…had smelled it before, perhaps at a Gathering, but I did not know exactly who it was. Dustpelt maybe? Or perhaps Cloudtail.” I sighed inwardly. This was not like Hawkfrost; the RiverClan tom was an excellent tracker---he knew many scents well, even in other Clans. And…he had a louder, harder mew.

He led me to the WindClan border, and I opened my mouth to taste the air. But no scents of ThunderClan crossed my scent glands. “Hawkfrost, are you sure…?”

The dark-furred tabby raced down to the lakeside. “It was down here. I was looking for fish in the lake when I found the scent. Come on!” I loped swiftly after the warrior, who kept looking after me as I followed him down. There was something wrong with this---I still could not make out any scents other than RiverClan…and WindClan coming off the border. And Hawlfrost was getting too close to the lake.

“Stop!” I yowled, and Hawkfrost turned around.

“What is it?” he demanded.

“If ThunderClan left their mark on the lake,” I began. “It was decided the territories end two tail-lengths before the water’s edge. It is a sign of aggression, and we will take action. But, for now…”

“Leopardstar, please.” Hawkfrost sounded…desperate. It was only a pitiful ThunderClan scent! “Please come down here! I…”

“Fine!’ I hissed. “But you better have a good reason for this, other than this supposed ThunderClan scent. You better hope to StarClan it is worth…” I was running as I spoke, and there was a dip in the grass I had not seen before. I feel straight into it too.

I made no sound as I tumbled into the hole…which was almost like a den as I raised my head to look around. Shallow light flooded weakly into the den, and an old, dangerous scent crossed my nose, and I sat up erect. Badger! “Hawkfrost!” I called worriedly.

Something blocked the sunlight entering the den. Was it the badger, returning to its den? Fear flooded over me, and my instincts told me to run. But where could I go? I was trapped in this death hole---trapped to die. My fur puffed out and I unsheathed my claws. I would fight to the end, if I had to, and perhaps I could escape past the badger into the open. But there was a rumble from the creature at the mouth of the den above me, and it spoke cat. “Having trouble, Leopardstar?”

“Hawkfrost,” I hissed. “Thank StarClan it’s you! I thought it might be that badger!”

“Badger?” Hawkfrost purred amusedly. “No, Leopardstar, this den belonged to the badger I chased out moons ago. Besides, I wouldn’t trick you into the den if I thought it wasn’t safe.”

“Trick me?” I asked incredulously. “What are you meowing about, Hawkfrost?”

“You don’t think I didn’t know about the hole?” the tabby tom rumbled.

“The ThunderClan scent…” I began confusedly.

“Yes,” Hawkfrost mewed. “You understand now. There is no ThunderClan markings. I brought you because I needed to speak to you.”

“You couldn’t have done that in camp?”

“No,” he said softly. “Not with all of those ears around. All of those gossiping, rude, careless ears.”

“Those are your Clanmates you are talking about!” I growled. What was the matter with Hawkfrost?

“I do realize, Leopardstar,” Hawkfrost sighed. “But they do talk quite freely. And I don’t want to take the chance of another cat overhearing us.”

“What…” I started. The dark tabby warrior padded into the dark den. “Hawkfrost, what are you doing?”

The striped tom was completely covered in the shadows of the den ceiling. I could see the faint outline of his ears and the glow from his pale ice-blue eyes only. They gazed at me amusedly.

“Well, Hawkfrost?” I snapped. “You’ve practically trapped me in this dirt hole and away from the Clan as well. What is it that was so dearly important that you had to put yourself through these trials to keep me prisoner, your own leader?”

“Prisoner?” Hawkfrost murmured. “You are not my prisoner. You could leave me now, but I would be happy if you did not.”

“Happy?” I echoed. “Why, Hawkfrost?”

He ignored me. “Those cats, they pass rumors so frequently. Yet…this time they’re right.”

“Excuse me?”

The tabby turned to me, his pale eyes flashing in the darkness. “Oh, Leopardstar. Don’t you know?”

“Know?” This was when my fur burned again and my heart beated faster.

“Leopardstar,” Hawkfrost said seriously, but his eyes glittered. “Leopardstar, I have not felt this way in my entire life. I did not know why I served you over myself before. I thought it was just loyalty, strong loyalty for my leader. But I now realize it is something more than that.”

“Hawkfrost,” I mewed breathlessly. “What do you mean?”

“Leopardstar,” he purred. “My heart swells at the sight of you, and my fur tingles when I hear your beautiful voice. I love you. I truly love you.”

Seasons passed. Six cats traveled to the sun-drown-place and the Clans had been driven from the forest and fled to the Lake territory. And there the Clans remained. And there RiverClan thrived…

A young dark tabby bounded swiftly into the camp which was split from the rest of the forest by two v-shaped streams. The tom yowled like a lost kit, calling, “Leopardstar! Leopardstar!” The tabby warrior’s icy blue eyes flashed as he cried the RiverClan leader’s name. A small brown tabby tom loped behind the dark tabby, panting with the effort.

My dreams of two little kits broke and shattered when the warrior’s screech sounded. I rose my golden body from my nest and slipped out of my den beside the tiny rivers. I streamed from the den, my amber eyes flashing at the young warriors. “Hawkfrost! Voletooth! What in the name of StarClan is the matter?”

“ShadowClan!” the warrior called Hawkfrost spat. “Roaming and romping on our territory like badgers! I ought to turn them into mouse fodder for this!”

Leader, are you now Hawkfrost? I hissed, and found that my Clanmates around me were doing the same. I had to think quickly, which as a seasoned leader of the greatest Clan, RiverClan, swift and beautiful, I could. “Darkfur, Splashtail. Take Heavystep and Reedwhisker to the ShadowClan invasion.” I whipped my head to Hawkfrost, my former apprentice. “Where, and how many ShadowClan warriors?”

The blue-eyed tabby bared his teeth into a snarl. “We found them crossing the border by the Thunderpath. There are five of them; I recognized Russetfur among them, and Cedarheart. Blackclaw and Swallowtail are there, but they won’t last forever.”

“Two RiverClan warriors are worth the entire lot of ShadowClan!” a cat behind me called---a new warrior named Otterheart. Some other RiverClan cats yowled their agreement.

“True,” I meowed, nodding. “But they won’t last forever.” To Voletooth and Hawkfrost, I ordered, “Take Ripplepaw as well. The experience will do him good.” A dark tabby apprentice scampered to the chosen warriors’ side, and when they turned to depart, cheered on by their Clanmates, I followed behind them. But when I did so, a dark blue-gray she-cat blocked my path. Her sapphire eyes bore into mine. “Leopardstar, are you fighting too?”

I flicked my golden ears. “Yes, of course, Mistyfoot.” I padded past my older deputy, but I felt her worried gaze upon me. What was she afraid of ? I was still young and able to lead my Clan into battle, as I would be for seasons more until my lives failed. And I would do it valiantly.

I maneuvered around my Clanmates to Hawkfrost at the lead. His muscles were rippling under his tabby pelt---I caught myself glancing. “Hawkfrost.” The tom looked to me. “Lead on to the Thunderpath.” He nodded, but kept at my side as our patrol ran through the wood. Even though Mistyfoot had returned to RiverClan in the old forest after being captured by Twolegs, and had been back in RiverClan for moons, I couldn’t help thinking about Hawkfrost as deputy. He had taken her place while she was absent, and he had done a fine job. What must he feel like, having to be a normal warrior again? After all, nearly the whole Clan supported him.

We raced into the clearing by the Thunderpath and found two dark-pelted cats fending off horrid-smelling ShadowClan warriors. The two dark-furred cats were Swallowtail and Blackclaw, and they were desperately trying to ward off the invaders.

A warrior named Rowanclaw swiped at Swallowtail, sending the dark tabby she-cat tumbling to our paws. The young brown tom Voletooth, who had followed Hawkfrost into camp, leaped over the winded Swallowtail and knocked Rowanclaw to the ground. The brown RiverClan tom and the ginger ShadowClan tom grappled furiously in a ball of fiery fur. At my command, Hawkfrost, Reedwhisker, Darkfur, Splashtail, Heavystep, and Ripplepaw leapt into battle. There were now ten RiverClan cats, including myself, fighting five worn ShadowClan warriors. And since I myself had four lives remaining…

The young brown tabby Splashtail was dislodged from a gray cat’s pelt where she held it with her claws. The gray tom was Cedarheart, and when he saw me, he threw himself at me. I snarled threateningly, and scored my claws across his face when he approached me. The startled gray warrior was thrown back; he yowled, batting my flank with clawed paws. Scarlet blood welled on my gold fur, and my amber eyes flashed. I slipped under Cedarheart and attacked his paler gray belly. The gray cat howled and pulled me away, snapping teeth on my ears. But I wrenched my ears from his grasp, blood spotting the mud. Beyond our battle, Russetfur, the ShadowClan deputy, screeched, and a line of fresh ShadowClan warriors fell into battle. I hissed at my own mistake. This was no border skirmish! This was a real, well-planned invasion at attempt to steal RiverClan land! And Blackstar had placed his warriors well---they had reinforcements. We did not. But there were only six more cats, and that wouldn’t affect us too poorly.

A pure white she-cat called Snowbird slipped to Cedarheart’s side and the two pressed me harder and harder back. The dark tom clawed my body while the young Snowbird battered my legs. I swiped at the both of them, but they grew to be overwhelming. When I bit down on Snowbird’s snowy fur, she called out to a small brown apprentice to aide them. The young tom’s green eyes glowed with battle light at the prospect of fighting a Clan leader.

Three ShadowClan cats against this one RiverClan leader. I did not doubt my battle skills and strength, but three were a little much. I screeched and fought like a warrior of LeopardClan, mighty and swift, sinking my claws into each adversary’s fur. I soon chased the apprentice away, who ran to across the Thunderpath to the ShadowClan border with terror in his leafy eyes. Snowbird hissed, “Snakepaw!” but it was no use. Snakepaw was gone. Cedarheart snorted and struck me with more force, spitting, “We can battle her without Snakepaw. Nine of her lives are worth one of ours.” I pressed me ears against my head, and knocked Cedarheart back. The gray cat shrieked, and leapt on top of my back. Young Snowbird’s eyes lit and she clawed my paws. I raised my forelegs to throw off Cedarheart from my spine, but the tom pressed harder down. Raising my paws was my mistake, for my balance was placed into my hindquarters. Cedarheart slammed his paws down on my back and Snowbird butted with all her might into my side with strength like StarClan.

The air was stolen from me, and my legs buckled. Soon, I was down with one white warrior attacking me while Cedarheart’s dark gray fur smothering me. A snowy white paw crashed over my eyes and struck me at the side of my head. Stars flew in my mind, and blackness threatened to wash over me. I struggled for air under the dark tom over me, and Cedarheart taunted from where he blocked my air, “The great Leopardstar! Downed by two warrior of ShadowCl---” The gray tom never finished his boast, for he himself was downed by a flash of dark brown fur and glinting claws. Hawkfrost was ripping clumps of ShadowClan fur; Cedarheart yowled for mercy.

Snowbird shrieked and left me to protect her Clanmate. “Get away from him!” Blackness still clouded my vision, but I attempted to rise to my paws and aimed a yet skillful blow to the white warrior’s haunches. She turned, but I raked my claws down her muzzle and bit her ear. Snowbird wailed and pushed Hawkfrost away from her Clanmate. Both cats took for the ShadowClan border.

“Fight, you cowards!” Russetfur yowled, but it was too late. Most of her Clan had fled. I leapt over Darkfur, the black she-cat rolling away, and knocked Russetfur down. The dark red deputy snarled and began to strike me, but her last companion, a small brown cat called Oakfur, fled from where Heavystep and Ripplepaw doubled against him. The ShadowClan she-cat spat, “This isn’t over, Leopardstar.”

I let her pass me and the red ginger she-cat raced to her territory. Triumphant yowls erupted from my warriors and I joined them, but the dizziness returned. I swayed on my paws, and I would have fallen if Hawkfrost hadn’t pushed his shoulder under me.

“Leopardstar!” Swallowtail fretted, and Ripplepaw shivered. I struggled to keep awake, but I growled, “Don’t worry about me. I’m fine.” The senior warrior, Heavystep, didn’t look better than me; the old cat would retire soon.

I murmured to Hawkfrost, “This isn’t necessary.”

The dark warrior practically ignored me, but he would not let me stand on my own. “Leopardstar, you need so see Mothwing.” He nodded to the RiverClan cats. “Let’s go.”

Heavystep padded to me. “Will you be able to walk?”

My amber eyes darkened. “For StarClan’s sake, I’m younger than you, Heavystep! Worry for yourself.” Heavystep dipped his head, bounding after his Clanmates, but Hawkfrost wouldn’t let me go. Every other RiverClan cat had left. Only Hawkfrost and I remained.

The tabby tom gazed into my eyes and meowed, “Are you ready?”

“Stop treating me like and elder!” I hissed. “I’m not old. I’m not too very young, but I am not old either! I’m only five leaf-bares!”

Hawkfrost sighed. “Yes, Leopardstar.” He slipped away from me and I steadied myself. But after a few heartbeats, I stumbled. “Fox dung,” I cursed, and the tabby warrior with the cool-blue eyes balanced me again.

“We’ll take it slowly,” Hawkfrost assured me. His dark pelt pressed against my sleek golden-brown fur. He padded soundly into the forest, and I couldn’t help leaning against him. Waves of darkness began to cover my senses. Was it my fevered imagination, or did I actually hear the dark warrior purr?

At the camp, Mothwing welcomed me, and I shook myself from Hawkfrost and he dipped his head to his sister and me before bounding away. The dappled golden tabby medicine cat sniffed me over and meowed softly. “Come to my den, Leopardstar. You were nearly knocked out.”

I trailed behind Mothwing, trying to shake the weariness away. But the dizzy feeling kept coming back, and when Mothwing led me to a moss-laden nest, I did not wait for the herbs for any of my wounds. As soon as I collapsed into a nest, I gave into the darkness…
♠ ♠ ♠
Aw! Hawkfrost loves Leopardstar!