We're All Just Pawns

“How should I go about asking a girl on a date?”

I sat down in a chair next to Prentiss as I proof read a few files for her, pretending not to listen to the conversation between Morgan and Reid. It had been two weeks since my accident, and we’d had no alone time. And I suppose that is what provoked him to ask Derrick for help. “How should I go about asking a girl on a date?” I heard him whisper. The grin on Morgan’s face made me have to excuse myself, for fear of laughing out loud.
When I went to the break room to grab my chicken wrap I found a small piece of paper taped to the underside of the foil. I bit my lip as I read it.

Meet me tonight at my house.
Eight o’clock sharp.
I have some things to say.

I ran straight to my aunt’s office, actually bumping into Spencer on the way there. I bypassed him and kept running. “Hey Aunt P,” I called from the doorway, almost out of breath. She mumbled something, fingers not leaving the keyboard. “Can I go to this lock-in thing?” that made her head spin around. Her blonde eyebrow rose. “It’s Jacob’s little sister’s gymnastics place. And they have these lock-ins, where you sleep over and get to use the equipment,” this lying thing was getting easier and easier. Her pigtails bounced as she shook her head no. “Not tonight, I’m sorry. I don’t know that place and I don’t want you with people I don’t know,” since when did she grow the parent bone? “Can I at least go hang out?” Her eyes narrowed, examining my face for a sign; of what? I don’t know. “Curfew is one,” she said and turned to her monitors again. I jumped up and down, clapping.
Jacob fulfilled my request of picking me up at seven thirty. He even came to the door to wave at my aunt, before leading me back down the steps. “The less you tell me, the better,” he said, shaking his head. I grabbed his hand and squeezed it tightly. “I am forever in your debt.”

We drove in silence and I had a twinge of guilt for making him lie for me. I ran from his car, smiling and yelling for him to pick me up at twelve thirty. He gave a half hearted wave and sped away. I checked myself a few more times in my mirror before throwing the strap of my bag across my chest and entering his building. I only had to knock once before Reid threw open the door. Seeing him with his sleeves rolled up, and a spoon in his hand made lying so worth it. “Smells nice,” I commented before moving into the room. He glanced down at me, “Lasagna is the only thing I can cook really.” I pulled my bag off, then my argyle sweater. I tugged at the end of my braid, wishing I could have done something more with my appearance without tipping off my aunt.

The night was nothing like I expected. We stood together, me watching him cook, but not talking. He wouldn’t touch me and anytime I tried to hold his hand or slip an arm around his waist he managed to get just out of my reach. I leaned against the bar, trying to size him up. I wasn’t entirely sure what game Spence was playing, but I knew I’d figure it out eventually.
We sat directly across from each other at the narrow bar. I hadn’t actually tried any of the food yet, I was still just looking at him. I mean, there is normal Reid behavior—nervous and awkward—and there’s this. “What is up with you?” I finally asked, stabbing my fork into the hunk of lasagna. “I didn’t really want to talk about it until after we’d eaten,” he stumbled over his words. Had he been drinking? “Come on, spit it out.” Reid set his fork down gingerly and looked at me. “This has got to stop,” he finally said. I’m not sure if I was in denial or if I really didn’t understand so I just said, “Huh.” He stood, hands shoved inside his pockets. “This game we’re playing. We can’t honestly be together and,” I stopped listening. I’m not the girl who was supposed to go on the date with him. “Is this a date?” I asked surprising him. “No, why?” I understood now. He met someone; someone else, someone older, someone better. “Who?” I asked and he just stared. “Who did you ask Morgan about?” He shook his short brown hair and looked down at me, approaching with his arms crossed. “This is about us right now, Emily.” “Enough said,” I grabbed my bag and walked out of his door. I didn’t slam it, I remained as calm as possible. Jacob answered on the first ring, and was luckily around the corner at a pizza place.

I opened up my email, about a week later, to find one brand new message from the North Carolina Math and Science School. My head felt light with glee. I sat my aunt down and told her the plan. Instead of the horror I was expecting, she looked relieved.
I walked into the BAU, backpack loaded to the brim. I staggered around for a few minutes in attempts to find Hotch. He would need to my visitors badge. When I found him he couldn’t believe what I was telling him. JJ and Prentiss cried, but finally managed to say, “You’ll do well there.” Morgan and Reid were standing side-by-side when I came to say my goodbyes. They both raised a confused eyebrow. “I’m going to the math and science school in North Carolina. They’ve agreed to accept me late based on my scores and initiative.” They both stood very still. “I’m leaving. I’ll be back eventually,” I sucked in a deep breath and embraced Morgan tightly. I walked away, avoiding Spencer’s face. This had to be good for me.
♠ ♠ ♠
So... I decided that maybe my writer's block would be a good chance for me to try out something different. So... SEQUEL TIME. I'm sorry if this disappoints anyone. But there WILL be more Reid goodness SOON.