We're All Just Pawns

“Do I look stupid to you? Wait, don’t answer that. I know I’m a genius."

As soon as I woke up the next day I had an idea; one I wasn’t quite sure my aunt would agree too, but I had to try. I didn’t really want to try the whole ‘new kid’ thing, so I asked her over a bowl of Cheerios, “Do you think I could do homeschooling?” Her eyes looked up, then down, then all around. “Do I look stupid to you? Wait, don’t answer that. I know I’m a genius,” she spoke with so much assurance. “I promise to join dance classes and other activities, but I’m more than smart enough to do this on my own. And with all of you guys at my disposal, it wouldn’t be that difficult. Please Aunt- I mean, Penelope. We have just enough time to get all of the paper work through. I’ll even do another foreign language, take art classes, anything.” I dropped to my knees at her bar stool, landing in some cold milk I hadn’t noticed spilled before. “Give me until the end of the day. No begging, okay?” I nodded excitedly and hugged her, but quickly retreated. “No more talk of this. I have a confession to make about Jacob.”

I cooked my aunt her favorite meal that evening at five o’clock sharp. I had homemade lasagna coming out of the oven when she returned from her errands. I watched her face over my shoulder; her eyes closed and her face was softened. “Someone’s trying to kiss my butt and its working.” I giggled and fixed our plates. “So I talked to the team,” I was beginning to realize it was more like having seven parents, instead of just one aunt, “and they agreed to help you if this is really what you want. You have to come to work me every day for the start; Reid will check your work.” I had to spit out my food, just to thank her. “This IS what I want! And I’ll socialize around town. I met some people through Jacob, and there’s always Jacob himself.” Her touch on my arm made me feel happy about my decision.

We spent the rest of that day being lazy, and I signed up for classes online the day after that. The thought of being with my aunt and the rest of the team all the time made me feel better than I had in a long time. On my very first day of ‘school’ I jumped out of bed with such enthusiasm, that my aunt complained that my perkiness was too much for her to handle. “You need to calm down before I get some sugar in me.” I hopped up and down as I got dressed, and again as I brushed my teeth, and even as we walked to my aunt’s car. I had on a simple pair of hip hugging jeans and a plain blue tee shirt, but I felt like a rock star. I can’t really explain my feeling, just that it was there and I was doing amazing. I set my backpack and laptop down in my aunt’s office then skipped to the kitchen to grab a cup of milk. The coffee looked fresh when I walked in though, so I decided to get a cup and douse it with sugar. I was stirring my mug and swinging my hips to the music in my head when someone behind me cleared their throat. I spun around quickly, miraculously not spilling a drop, to see Reid with his arms crossed; the bags under his eyes seemed deeper than usual. “Hello Spencer.” I said before taking a sip of my coffee. I made no movements though it burned my tongue. His eyes were extremely shifty, never making contact with my own for more than a second. I kicked my toe against the ground. “Most people don’t make eye contact when they’re lying, but you’re just uncomfortable,” I sipped again as I waited for a response. “Nothing?” I questioned. There was a vain in his neck that was bulging, as if he was straining not to talk to me. “See you later alligator.” I took long strides, almost bouncing, or skipping as I walked away. I wanted so bad to look back, to see if he was watching me, but I couldn’t give him that.

I spent a few hours just breezing through AP Chemistry and Pre-Cal, but I got stuck on my sociology. My aunt suggested I go on a walk, “There’s a great little bench outside. It’s nice for just sitting and thinking. Or just pace around the office. I’m sure someone will snatch up to run their errands, since I’m kind of hogging you.” I rolled my eyes at her comment and stood slowly. I had been lying in the floor which was very uncomfortable. I was already out of her office when I realized that I forgot to put my Converse back on. I shrugged to myself and started to skip down the corridor. Somehow I ended up in JJ’s office sorting through files for her. Her smile was soft and I felt like she was the one person who saw me as a kid, which was sort of nice. Too many people had been treating me as an adult for too long. I know I’m very indecisive, but I want to be a kid and an adult; is that too much to ask? “I just can’t believe that you’d want to be home schooled. High school was so much fun for me,” JJ said coolly as she shuffled files from one pile to another. “Well I’m not much for making new friends and it’s just easier for me do it this way. Plus, you guys are amazing at what you do. I really want to learn about it,” I smiled at her from across the desk and began watching her. She moved so smoothly from case to case, never faltering, and always reading every line, every word. Occasionally her eyes would flick up at me, and a small smile would creep across her face. “Let’s see how good you can do. Close your eyes,” her request took me off guard, but I did it. When I opened them back up, two files were stacked on top of one another in front of me. “Read them, and then decide which pile they should go in: one time or serial.” Basically, each case had multiple victims, but some are not worth taking because they may be separate people. I scrunched up my nose as I read about several women being assaulted, and again when I read about a family being killed. JJ tried to hide a laugh, no doubt at the faces I was making. I stared at the words on the page for about a minute each before addressing her again. “Okay, well. The women’s cases sound alike, but with the family the dad is missing so he probably did it. Keep the assault file.” I was searching her face for approval when Reid appeared at the door. “JJ-,” he began but cut off when he saw me he got shifty again, “I’m sorry, am I interrupting something?” She shook her head and stood. “Emily here was just helping me sort files. And she actually did a pretty good job of picking one for us to look at. Tell the team to meet me in the conference room in five.” I stood up, “You’re taking the case I just gave you?” I questioned her. She smiled at me again, “Yes we are. Thanks for your help; you should probably get back to your own work.” Her sweetness made me feel wanted, and just like I finally fit in here in D.C.

It had only taken about three days for the team to solve the case and get back. I was very happy about this, because I was tired of this two step thing with Reid. My aunt came home late the same night that the team was supposed to be flying in. She started running around the apartment the second she stepped inside. “Reid’s sick and he wanted some soup; the team stuck me with the job, and I have a late date with Kevin. I don’t know if I’m going to make it on time!” Her hair was a mess and I placed a hand on her chest. “I’ll cook some tomato soup at his place for him. What else do I have to do?” All of her movements stopped, and she blew the bangs from her forehead. “I can’t ask you to do that.” I smiled, because I knew what she was doing. She wouldn’t be disappointed if I backed out, but she missed Kevin; even I could see that much. “Go Aunt P. I can honestly handle it and I don’t mind. Maybe he took some medicine and now his facts will be more entertaining.” I could see her thinking about this, then shaking her head. “Not possible,” she said quickly then ran for the bathroom. “You can take my car; the keys are on the counter. Just be back whenever you can sweetie.” I smiled widely; it was the first time she’d called me sweetie.
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoy. There are less and less pages I have written now. I'll probably be able to give give two or three more chapters quickly before I have to write new material. I'm up for any helpers if someone wants to proof for me, or help with ideas. I love peer-reviews.