Desires of the Soul

Chapter 1

”I’ll find a way back to you. I promise!” Noah shouted at Madeline as they drove away.

She felt her legs run after the truck, but she couldn’t feel her legs at all. She couldn’t breathe and before she knew it, she’d fallen to the ground crying her own eyes out. Her best friend had moved to California, and she was in little Ottawa, Michigan.

All by herself.


--

"Madeline Daniella Kline! Get your stubborn ass here, or I will kick it!"

Madeline laughed at her friend, Kelly, as she grabbed her bag and skipped down the stairs. Kelly had her arms crossed and was standing impatiently by the door, tapping her foot and checking her phone for time every few seconds before spotting Madeline coming down the stairs.

“Finally! Do you even know what would happen if we were late? I’d kill you!” Kelly exclaimed, throwing her arms around and pointing at Madeline. "Then dance on your grave!"

"What's the big deal? It's just a concert by...by..." Her voice trailed, and she found herself being under attack by Kelly's dagger eyes.

"Sanity Screams," Kelly managed to come out with through her clenched teeth.

"Right..." Madeline nodded slowly and grabbed Kelly's elbow. "We should go and see this Savaging Screech or whatever now…”

The car ride was quiet which was rather unusual since Madeline and Kelly normally screamed on the top of their lungs to the songs on the radio, but instead the car was dead silent with only Kelly’s excited smile to light anything up. And with the silence, Madeline was nodding off, ready to sleep when she heard screams arouse.

“What…?!” She snapped up and looked around before realizing they had arrived.

“Come on! Maddy! We’re going to be late!” Kelly yelled from outside of the car and Madeline rushed out knowing it was best to just please Kelly at the moment.

After all, she didn’t have the faintest clue as to who the Sanity Screams people were and for all she knew, she could get lost and end up in the backseat of a stranger’s truck thinking it was their guitarist or something. She knew she was thinking rather negatively but she couldn’t help it. She was rather optimistic but while she gazed at the pit of sweaty people trying to get inside, she couldn’t help but feel sick to the stomach and claustrophobic. And with the unease bubbling inside, it was nearly impossible to think positive about anything.

She glanced at Kelly who was grinning from ear to ear before nervously smiling and letting herself get sucked into the pit of humans. She handed her ticket to one of the large men who were causing the traffic jam and felt herself breathe when she got in. She looked around for Kelly and squirmed after her once she found her inside of the sea of people.

They pushed and shoved their ways closer to the front until Kelly was content, right at the front.

“Maddy! Oh my gosh!”

Madeline smiled at her friend as the crowd went wild as the four members came onto stage and Madeline froze. She stared at the guitarist.

“He…He looks….familiar…” Madeline murmured to herself.

“Maddy! Oh my gosh! Look at Kyle! Ah!” Kelly shrieked along with all the other girls in the crowd, but Madeline stayed silent only having a slight smile on her face to not worry Kelly, not that she could at a time like this.

Madeline held onto the bars in front of her for dear life. She didn’t want to get lost in the crowd and because she wanted to have a better look at the guitarist who made her think of someone she knew. She just didn’t know who but she was going to find out. It was bothering her and she was as stubborn as a mule. Nothing would stop her now, she hoped.

She knew that if officials came into her finding out she'd pretend as if it had never happened at all, but she knew the odds were against that happening.

Throughout the entire show she couldn’t figure out who the guitarist was. She didn’t even know his name. But she wanted to know. She had to.
So she did what anyone else would, she let go of the bars and let herself get sucked to the back during the last song. And once they finished, the band said goodnight to their fans and then she was out. Without Kelly. She’d find her later. But for now, she was running for the back door. She was only three steps from the door. Two. One. She was inside! She felt an adrenaline rush. She hadn’t done anything exciting in her life ever since he had moved.

“Maddy! Maddy!”

Madeline winced and frowned as she heard Kelly’s voice call after her. How had Kelly found her? Kelly had to be one of the last people out and yet here she was. Madeline brushed it off with a shake of the head as she turned towards Kelly.

“What?” Madeline hissed and Kelly grinned.

“I want to-“

“Look what we’ve got.”

Madeline bit her lip and turned around on her heel to see one of the big security guards and three members of Sanity Screams.

“Why…Hello there,” She chirped and gave an awkward wave tagged along by a sheepish smile.

“Oh,” Kelly began. “My,” She continued. “Gosh!” She screeched and Madeline winced as she stared at the band, looking for the one with the familiar face. She couldn't find him and tried her best to act normal.

She looked up at the rather large security guy and gave him an awkward smile and patted his bigger-than-her-head chest.

“I’m just going to go now…” Madeline mumbled slowly and began to slink away when the security guy grabbed her arm.

“Not just yet.”

She squeezed her eyes tight. I’m dead. This is it!, She thought to herself and felt her heart pick up its speed.

“Joe. Just let them go…” One of the guys, Kyle, said and Madeline let out a relieved sigh.

“But-“

“No. They’re just fans. Right girls?” Another one, Max, said with a shrug.

“Yes!” Kelly screeched and Madeline sighed with hunched shoulders.

“Sure sure,” She mumbled and the last guy there raised an eyebrow.

“Hey! You guys! I got my sweat-“

Madeline stared at him.

The last of the four, Noah.

It was him.

She knew it. She could tell that mop of brown hair and those delightful blue eyes anywhere at anytime. And his infamous jacket. He never went anywhere without it. Even if it was summer with the blazing sun, beating down at their dark haired heads. She had gotten him that jacket. She bit on her lip and looked down. She couldn’t believe it was him. Noah. Her best friend.

“M-Madeline?”

Noah could hardly breathe.

His eyes racing from every part of her face to the rest of her. He was speechless. He had meant to find her one day, but he never knew it would be when he was back in his hometown of all places to be. He was so sure she’d be in New York. The place she’d always wanted to go ever since they were kids and now, he was 26 and she was 25, and she was still in Ottawa, Michigan. Somehow, this struck him as strange. She always was the determined type.

After a few seconds of silent staring and once the thought had sunk in, Madeline spoke, “Well. Looks like I found you. Not the other way around. How dare you break your promise Noah?”
♠ ♠ ♠
I've come to the conclusion that this one isn't all that good, but PLEASE.
Stick around for chapter 2, which will be written by the much better writer, Margaret. (:
Love,
Lizzy