Status: Entry; completed.

Daisy in a Box, Heart on a Sleeve

Part Two

I was going to be late. I raced down the hall to my ‘Economics 101’ course. I had overslept, of course, and my roommate didn’t bother to wake me up. I swore under my breath as I passed a group of professors huddled to the side. I managed to get there just in the knick of time. I took my seat and sighed. Relief was an understatement. Taking notes, I couldn’t help but to let my mind wander. I scribbled on the page in my notebook. I drew a tree, and hearts, and a dress, and a daisy...

A daisy.

It was the middle of the summer. It was the last day at the beach house. As the sun was setting, Drew grabbed my hand and led me outside. We took a long stroll. We talked, and laughed. After we were miles away from the house, he stopped. I turned around to look at him. He touched my arm. "Amy," he said, "I love you. And I want to spend the rest of my life with you." He bent down on one knee into the sand. He pulled out a small red velvety box from his pocket. He opened it. Inside was a daisy. I laughed. "I know, it’s not a ring. But you’ll have one. I just wasn’t sure what to get." I jumped on top of him, and the box fell. I put my hand on the back of his neck and kissed him as I kneeling in his lap. He looked me in the eyes as he reached down and grabbed the daisy, putting it into my hair. He lifted up and kissed me softly.

We drove back to his parent’s house. Drew told them the news; I was glowing... until they angrily told him to drive me home. I was shocked. What was wrong?

That night, he called me. His parents didn’t approve. We had to break up. "I’m so... sorry," he said before we hung up. I cried all night. I loved him, so much.

A few weeks later, there was something wrong. I missed my period. My heart raced as I peed on the dreaded Stick. Please, be negative. I waited four minutes for it to process – the longest four of my life! I shook it. But when I looked down, there was a little pink plus sign, teasing me. "Fuck," I screamed. I threw the pregnancy test in the trash and ran to my room; I broke down into tears. Why? Why does this have to happen?

I tried to call him. He had to know. But he didn’t pick up. I was so dizzy. I didn’t know what to do. I panicked as I thought of my options.

***

Nine months later, I was in labor. I had the baby. I didn’t even get to see her. As soon as she was out and cleaned, she was sent to the nursery until her new parents arrived. I was giving Lily up for adoption. As I lay in my hospital bed, I got an idea. I picked up my cell phone and dialed Drew’s number.

He rushed to the hospital. He came into my room and sat in the chair next to my room. "Why didn’t you tell me?"

I closed my eyes, and sighed. "I don’t want to talk about this right now. Go see her before she leaves. Her parents should be here soon."

He left. He came back an hour later. "She’s gone." He looked heartbroken. I scoffed in my mind. Now he knew how I felt.

A girl with sleek dark hair came in. "Drew?" she said, glancing between him and I. She walked over to him and they held hands. "Amy, this is Catherine. She... "

But I didn’t hear anything else he said. It was like someone had hit the mute button. His lips moved in slow motion as he spoke. I thought the room was spinning.

***

Drew and I are friends now. He’s still torn about Lily. But we’re on good terms with each other. I miss his touch, and his kiss. Now Catherine is the source of his affection. It makes my heart rip into two.

Strumming these strings, I don’t know the words to sing along. All I know is...

He’s the reason for the teardrops on my guitar.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wish me luck! :)